U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM

400 posts, read 685,093 times

Advertisements

If you're looking strictly piano here's a few: Duke Ellington (of course),Count Basie, Jelly Roll Morton, Earl Hines, James Johnson, Willie "The Lion" Smith, Fats Waller and Art Tatum for early players. Also Mary Lou Williams, who played with Jimmie Lunceford is highly underrated as is Teddy Wilson, who played with Benny Goodman. From bop and beyond: Oscar Peterson is great listening, Thelonious Monk had a great style (he was magic with rests alone). Even though I'm not a big fan of cool jazz, I do enjoy Dave Brubeck. I'm not much on contemporary jazz (I guess I'm one of those "it stopped with bop" kinda guys).

Some other artists you might wanna check out are Lester Young, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis (until he went fusion, IMHO), John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Billie Holiday and definitely Charlie Parker.

Give swing and early jazz a shot, too. Not much improvisation in swing, but there's a lot to be said for some of those tight arrangements. Make sure you check out Louis Armstrong, too -- his early work was ground breaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
I second all of the above. My personal favorites are still Duke Ellington--his chording was unique. The only jazz pianist of late that has come close to duplicating it is Marcus Roberts. Check out Ellington's albums "Back to Back" and "Side by Side"--a small combo effort that included Johnny Hodges (Ellington's long-time alto saxophonist, and probably the best jazz musician on that instrument), Harry "Sweets" Edison (Basie's long-time trumpet player), and others.

Oscar Peterson was a lion. I've near heard anything bad from him. Check out Nat King Cole's early work with his trio. As great a singer as he was, his jazz piano playing was even better.

For interesting phrasing, check out Claude Thornhill's band. His piano playing was usually in the background, but the band arrangements were first-rate. For much of his band's existence, Thornhill's arranger was Gil Evans, who later would arrange some of Miles Davis' most influential work.

Check out the contemporary female vocalist Tierney Sutton. On most of her albums, her pianist is Christian Jacob--very good. Also, a common "session" pianist and arranger on many recent (last 15 years) albums is New Zealander Alan Broadbent--also very talented. Another "session" pianist to check out is Norman Simmons--also very good.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,860,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
You owe it to yourself to check out Baron on the Stan Getz LP'S.
He is awesome! I listened to Jazz Baltica by Baron.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Art Tatum was legendary as well. I have one of Christian Jacob's CDs as well too. I also compose jazz myself. I have written seven compositions. I played classical most of my until 2007 and switched to jazz piano.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Man, great list guys. I think I'm hitting iTunes this weekend to sample some of these lesser-known names you're pulling out.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:10 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
I forgot: Bud Powell, Ahmad Jamal, and Hank Jones. For a pure treat in improvisational solo piano, check out Bob Florence's album "Another Side." Normally fronting a big band, Florence goes solo on this outing.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 PM

5,411 posts, read 6,211,620 times
I'm a fan of classic jazz, but i'm more into smooth jazz.

the artists i like are: kenny g, paul taylor, brian culbertson, bona fide, david benoit, paul hardcastle, peter white, najee, hiroshima, blue knights, greg adams, david sanborn, walter beasely and MORE!.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM

536 posts, read 1,905,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I like some stuff i think of as Jazz but some Jazz purist's might debate it.
I like the Funk-Jazz Fusion stuff like Donald Byrd,Early Kool & Gang,Roy Ayers..
Grover Washington JR,Bob James,Freddie Hubbard.
You mentioned Joe Sample i like his song "In my wildest dreams" the one that was sampled by Tupac.
Same taste in jazz.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 PM

536 posts, read 1,905,144 times
I also like latin jazz like Cal Tjader, afro-cuban, bossanova, etc.... Im also young I guess.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:34 AM

I am a big fan of experimental and modern jazz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or