Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,656 times

Advertisements

I do remember when MLK was assasinated, I was about 8 yrs old
,I had no idea who he was but it came on the tv -I thought an actual king had been killed because of his name I thought Luther was like Lutherern-the name Martin Luther King confused me. I still remember playing on the living room floor with some boxes I was drawing on them-no video games or 100 channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
This is a music thread...so...

anyone remember where they were when they heard Stevie Ray Vaughan died? Or Ricky Nelson?
No, but as it's a music thread, I do recall being in a music store, buying up a storm when a girlfriend called me to tell me that Michael Hutchence (INXS) had died.

And when Shirley Strachan (Skyhooks) died I remember I was sitting McDonalds on the Gold Coast having a solo holiday and feeling really independent and happy. I sat down with my egg and bacon McMuffin and the newspaper to enjoy my breakfast on such a beautiful day and there it was spread all over the front page. It was devastating and I think I may have even gasped and choked back a sob or two. The next thing that went through my mind was that I was grateful that he'd died the day before my birthday and not on my birthday. I felt the same when Princess Diana died, incredibly grateful she died the day after my birthday and not on the day.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:37 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,315 times
Well, I dont remember The Challenger (I was 3), but I remember Columbia. I was at work, and I'd gone to the restaurant next door to get lunch and saw it on the news there.

I remember JFK Jr.. but I dont remember where I was. I was a kid.

I also remember Tupac and Biggie Smalls, but again, dont remember where I was.

Princess Diana - I was at home and saw it on the news. But I remember a few days before she died Geraldo had dedicated a show for her and all the good deeds she'd done. It was very eerie to learn of her death just a few days later.

9/11 - This I will never forget. I was at a car insurance company with my grandmother, she was renewing her policy, when we heard on the radio that one of the WTC towers had been hit by a plane. We lived close by so we drove home, I turned on the tv right away and saw what was going on. A few minutes later, I saw the second plane hit live. Spent the rest of that day glued to the tv.. it was just so unbelievable.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM

990 posts, read 1,725,656 times
When Nixon resigned I was on vacation with my parents at Myrtle Beach SC I remember sitting in the motel watching on tv.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
And when Shirley Strachan (Skyhooks) died I remember I was sitting McDonalds on the Gold Coast having a solo holiday and feeling really independent and happy. I sat down with my egg and bacon McMuffin and the newspaper to enjoy my breakfast on such a beautiful day and there it was spread all over the front page. It was devastating and I think I may have even gasped and choked back a sob or two. The next thing that went through my mind was that I was grateful that he'd died the day before my birthday and not on my birthday. I felt the same when Princess Diana died, incredibly grateful she died the day after my birthday and not on the day.
Who do you think is going to actually hit your birthday?
Shirley - I didnt know he had died until somewhere in 2006, when I looked Skyhooks up online to see what all had happened with them in 30 years I hadn't known he'd crossed on to TV and had the kids TV show and that he'd become kind of a national treasure. I thought he'd just go back to surfing

When Duane Allman died I remember thinking well, he was an old man anyway, 24! He'd lived his llife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music