Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times

Advertisements

Predicted to win rock album of the year and possibly the decade. I just picked up my copy right at midnight when it was released. It has 15 tracks and they all rock! I'm an old school 80s rocker, been a life ling fan of AC/DC because they capture a blues style rock, no gimmicks, jst straight in your face, rock! And to boot, they do one of the best live shows in the world.

Can't believe these boys are still producing the flare they did in this album. It's absolutely stunningly great. Perhaps their best ever! You can tell for sure the band put forth some real effort into this album, not just another filler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default AcDC

thanks for the reminder! I'll buy that tomorrow!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
If the rest of the songs are half as good as
Rock N' Roll Train it deserves to be album of the year!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Yeah, I'm getting it this week also. I've never seen them live, so I just paid a LOT of $$ for front row upper deck seats at the Palace of Auburn Hills on Nov. 5th. I wasn't going to do it, but with Brian Johnson being 61 and Angus Young in his mid 50's now I wasn't sure when or if they'd tour again, and couldn't stand the thought of calling myself a rock n roll fan while having never seen AC/DC play. Really looking forward to the show!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times
I gotta check it out--is it on iTunes yet, does anyone know? Probably not...*going to check*

This is the first album release I've been actually excited about in a while.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I've seen AC/DC live twice and I'd wished I'd seen them much sooner. This is sad, but I didn't even know they existed before Back in Black.

I wasn't quite in high school yet when it came out. But that's just no excuse. Once my friend and I got Back in Black, I started to go back into their prior stuff! This Bonn Scott character was something. I'll always like the oldest stuff the best, but I'll agree that Back in Black minus "shook me all night long" did rock. I liked For those about to Rock ok, I was even a fan of Flick of the Switch. But Fly on the Wall and stuff since then just seems so... I don't know how to put it... Commercial?

I like Angus Young as much as the next guy. One of the best guitarists in the world for what he does. But I miss the old days when he just went out there and rocked. None of this 20 minutes of trapesing around the stadium on a golf cart with your hand to your ear playing the same note for 15 minutes. We get the guitar solo. But we need riffs like Whole Lotta Rosie and Squealer and Let There Be Rock, etc. If you're gonna play the same note continuously for 5 minutes it better have been that way in the studio version as well; such as Guns for Hire.

I am an Old School AC/DC fan and I'm picky about this stuff.

Now Brian Johnson, how's his voice these days, honestly?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Johnson sounds good enough on the new single, that's for sure. The studio can be one thing, though, and live can be another. I don't expect anything but a great performance........AC/DC is not the type of band that would go out if they weren't up to it (like Van Halen on their last tour).

What I'm really interested to see is if Angus still runs around the stage like he used to. He looked REALLY old and worn out in the "Black Ice" interviews they were showing on VH1 yesterday.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
AC/DC made some good tunes; however, their look, style, and attitude is so out of style and irrelevant. It is kinda of embarrassing to look at them.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Oh crap, now ya got me going--how old are ya, buddy? Thank God they're "out of style" because to be "in style" today seems to mean either boy-band Ryan Seacrest types with frosted tips or out of whack Gothic types who just look, well, like they haven't showered in a couple weeks.

Besides, it used to be about the MUSIC and not so much about what they looked like--and that was what it was SUPPOSED to be about, by God--even the Beatles weren't all that pretty to look at, but who cared? Guess by your standards it doesn't matter how good you can play--only how pretty ya look, or if you're wearing the latest Hollywood bling. What drivel!

"Video killed the radio star" --nothing truer has been said. Except now MTV doesn't even play videos--they play total BS about teens and tweens (twenty somethings who might as well still be in their teens from their behavior/mentality) who think having pimples is a major world crisis. Oh...my...god...her butt is soo...big....

Holy lord, get some perspective, listen to some real music; you know, the kind where they actually play their instruments and don't lip sync. Although if you stick to modern music, you'll be hard-pressed to find such phenoms.

Spare me, kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
AC/DC made some good tunes; however, their look, style, and attitude is so out of style and irrelevant. It is kinda of embarrassing to look at them.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM

And I have to apologize--usually I'm not so caustic, but I've rarely heard such a breezy, shallow, ignorant statement about one of the best rock bands ever.

ACDC is embarassing for you to look at, artsyguy? Then don't, man. Spare yourself the agony of watching some kick ass, hardcore rock n rollers go at it, inspring thousands of people to start screaming..."Highway to hell!" at the top of our lungs. Now that's power. And we sure as hell weren't concentrating on what they were wearing! WTF cared?

Nobody in this "new" generation of music has inspired me to pump my fist in the air and sing out loud for a very long time. Maybe they're too worried about their appearance to pay much attention to their musical skill. Sure sounds that way.

BTW--I'm not ancient. Only 31, but I know what rocks, and what doesn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music