Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

What your some of your favorite songs or song titles that sing about a guy or a gal.

I'll start as i've always liked ''Sara'' by Jefferson Starship

YouTube - Jefferson Starship - Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
6/3! Whazzup? Good thread! Here is a few with the ladies. Let's go with the Beatles stuff; Sexy Sadie, Michelle, Julia (White Album), Anna (veejay single from '63), Lovely Rita, Thank You Girl, Ruby Baby, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Lady Madonna, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Eleanor Rigby, She Loves You, She's A Woman, Another Girl, You're Gonna Lose That Girl, Your Mother Should Know (Magical Mystery Tour lp), Girl, She Said She Said, Long Tall Sally, She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Peppers), Honey Don't, Martha My Dear, Maggie May (Let It Be), Polythene Pam (Abbey Road), Dear Prudence.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-07-2008 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
I've always loved "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac. I've heard it a million times and it's still great. "Laura" by Todd Rundgren. "Marie Provost" by Nick Lowe.

How about a song about a group of girls? "September Gurls" by Big Star is one of my favorites.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM

331 posts, read 1,384,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
6/3! Whazzup? Good thread! Here is a few with the ladies. Let's go with the Beatles stuff; Sexy Sadie, Michelle, Julia (White Album), Anna (veejay single from '63), Lovely Rita, Thank You Girl, Ruby Baby, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Lady Madonna, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Eleanor Rigby, She Loves You, She's A Woman, Another Girl, You're Gonna Lose That Girl, Your Mother Should Know (Magical Mystery Tour lp), Girl, She Said She Said, Long Tall Sally, She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Peppers), Honey Don't, Martha My Dear, Maggie May (Let It Be), Polythene Pam (Abbey Road), Dear Prudence.
Double H, i hope you realize "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" is NOT about a girl!

let's see here, songs about gals.... i'm stumped at the moment. I'll post later

Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Mr Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker 1968

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did a very good cover of it in 1971

Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Here's two for all the Sheilas and Karis out there (no I never liked Leif Garrett, but these songs were the first to pop into my head after reading the OP):

YouTube - Leif Garrett sings "Kari"

YouTube - Leif Garrett - Sheila.(1978).

And for all the Joeys - one of my favorite Concrete Blonde songs:

YouTube - Concrete Blonde - Joey

Or how about Bruce - this is a fun song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1Frr4OcRc

Does Mambo No. 5 count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaw-9WElAjc

Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Musicwriter!! Quite true! Just jotting down ladies names, and yep, a tad drug related!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM

A few favorites by other groups; Windy-Association, Wendy-Beach Boys, Marie-Bachelors, Aubrey-Bread, Valerie-Monkees, Joanne-Mike Nesmith, Loreena-John Hartford, Cathy's Clown-Everly brothers, Jill-Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Jennifer Eccles-Hollies, Jennifer Juniper-Donovan, Carol-Neil Sedeka, Caroline-Jefferson Airplane (Dragonfly lp from '74), Sweet Lorraine-Nat King Cole, Marcella-Beach Boys, Barbara Ann-Beach Boys, Susan-Buckinghams, See Emily Play-Pink Floyd, Emily's Song-Moody Blues (Every Good Boys Deserves Favor lp), Caroline-Steppenwolf (hour of the Wolf lp from '75), Sherry-Four Seasons, Diana-Paul Anka, De De Dinah-Frankie Avalon, My Cherie Amour-Stevie Wonder, Bernadette-Four Tops, Walk Away Renee-Left Banke, Walk Away Renee-Four Tops, Amy-Bobby Darin, Jenny Take A Ride-Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Lucille-Little Richard, Gina-Johnny Mathis, Donna Donna-Richie Valens, and Peggy Sue-Buddy Holly!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A few favorites by other groups; Windy-Association, Wendy-Beach Boys, Marie-Bachelors, Aubrey-Bread, Valerie-Monkees, Joanne-Mike Nesmith, Loreena-John Hartford, Cathy's Clown-Everly brothers, Jill-Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Jennifer Eccles-Hollies, Jennifer Juniper-Donovan, Carol-Neil Sedeka, Caroline-Jefferson Airplane (Dragonfly lp from '74), Sweet Lorraine-Nat King Cole, Marcella-Beach Boys, Barbara Ann-Beach Boys, Susan-Buckinghams, See Emily Play-Pink Floyd, Emily's Song-Moody Blues (Every Good Boys Deserves Favor lp), Caroline-Steppenwolf (hour of the Wolf lp from '75), Sherry-Four Seasons, Diana-Paul Anka, De De Dinah-Frankie Avalon, My Cherie Amour-Stevie Wonder, Bernadette-Four Tops, Walk Away Renee-Left Banke, Walk Away Renee-Four Tops, Amy-Bobby Darin, Jenny Take A Ride-Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Lucille-Little Richard, Gina-Johnny Mathis, Donna Donna-Richie Valens, and Peggy Sue-Buddy Holly!
Double H,

Did you miss probably the best Beach Boys song "Caroline No" in your list?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,192 times
Sarah Smile-Hall and Oats
Oh Sheila-Ready For The World
Maggie May-Rod Stewart
Lay Lady Lay-Bob Dylan (about his dog named, Lady)
Come On Eileen-Dexys Midnight Runners

Lest we forget the famous, When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman!

Last edited by CrouchTigerHiddenDog; 11-07-2008 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music