Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM

157 posts, read 651,512 times

Advertisements

This week, I've been in a groove of listening to the 70's rock band BOSTON and I'd like to know more about these guys. Anyone have any info to share?

Were they big in the 70's or sorta underground? I think they made 3 albums and a greatest hits cd - is this right or is there more? Why was there such a big break between albums 2 and 3 (I think)? Could they really play this way LIVE? Or were they a studio-only production? What were their backgrounds? What happened to them? What other later bands were inspired by them (I've heard ZZTop?)? Anything else?

I think these guys sound really talented and would love any info that anyone may have, especially if you ever saw them live.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:52 AM

79 posts, read 254,768 times
They were big in the 70's died out in the 80's big time, its not Boston without Brad Delp..they did some tours in the 90's but jus wasnt the same

Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Thanks for making feel like an even older old fart!

I think at least one member of Boston (maybe Delp?) was an MIT grad.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Default thanks & sorry ... !

Thanks RonTrish1022 and domergurl - I appreciate you both taking the time to tell me what you know. Any idea why Brad Delp left the band - solo or side projects maybe? If he made other albums, I'd be interested. I found some reference today to Tommy Schoals (sp?) being the MIT grad.

domergurl: You have my sincere apologies if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way. That was certainly not my intent. Again, my apologies and best wishes. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,837 times
The original members of the band were:
Tom Scholz - all instruments except drums
Brad Delp - vocals
Sib Hashian - drums

Here's a link to their "Official" website. You should find all you could possibly want to know on it.

http://bandboston.com/html/home_html.html

Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
LOVE BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!! They have always been one of my favorite groups. Yes, only two albums way back when. Then the third came out, it wat totally different than the other two. They were still a big thing in the early 80's. I finally got to see them in concert when they toured several years ago. It was still great to go and hear them live no matter how different it was from way back when. I do have all of their albums on cd and listen to them at least once a week. I still hear plenty of Boston played on the radio around here.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:48 PM

rdbeard5: thanks for the lineup and the site - you're right, lots of great info. - just what I was looking for, but hadn't found before! I'm glad to see that there are more albums/cd's than I knew about and a Summer 2007 tour, too. Oh, and Brad Delp has been back with Tom Scholes for a while now.

momof2: Right on!!!! I'm not really too big a fan of most "power rock bands", but Boston sounds to me like no other group before or after. The intergallactic, cosmic guitar symphonies, Brad Delp's amazing vocals (he can actually really sing), the great layout of it all, even the flying guitar-ships on the cd/album covers, Sib Hashian's hair, and especially some of the positive lyrics ... I just feel good when I listen.

What was the concert like - could they really play those guitar symphonies in person, or was that all studio work? Anyone else have first hand knowledge or thoughts? Thanks momof2!!

Last edited by dgoboy204; 02-23-2007 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: more thoughts

Old 02-25-2007, 05:35 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
Boston is classic rock...More Than a Feeling gets better every time I hear it. I don't think their music never really went away. I've never been a big fan of the genre, but some bands easily gain fans outside of their regular fan base. It was a bit before my time, but I experienced Boston's music in the 80's and it seemed as current and hot as anything else.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
allmusic.com is great for bios & discography.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:xx2ibkr96akv

Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,878 times
Default Brad Delp - Boston

Brad Delp was found dead in his home this afternoon in New Hampshire.

He did all the vocals for his band Boston and also had a project called Beatle Juice . Beatle Juice sounded just like the Beatles circa mid sixties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music