U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,235,013 times
Default Why is Hank Williams considered a great?

I've always found his voice so whiney. If anything I love the songs written about him , my favorite being Allan Jacksons "Midnight in Montgomery".
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,223,460 times
Im not a huge fan,my co-worker has hey,good-looking as a ringtone and now..
I hate that song lol

Old 11-28-2008, 03:37 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,843,376 times
Certainly not for his voice ....LOL

But for his songwriting .....simple songs that have become country standards

My Dad was a teenager back then and is still a big fan ....so I here his songs
when over at his place ....

Songs like ....

Your Cheatin' Heart....Jamabalaya....You Win Again ....
...and my fav ...Hey Good lookin'

I agree, his voice sounds nasal and whiney ...
sort of like Bob Dylan ....not crazy about the voice but the songs are good

Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM

19,127 posts, read 14,427,738 times
I absolutely love Hank Williams. He led such a sad and short life, but wrote some amazingly poignant and heartfelt songs. You don't see that much anymore, because the REAL songwriting isn't getting on the radio, it's played during bluegrass festivals, in little podunk cafes and restaurants. I guess his voice is a little...odd, but it's one of the things that makes him stand apart. You can ALWAYS recognize Hank singing, and it's not a cookie cutter crooner voice (although I do love Sinatra )which makes it seem like he could just be sittin on the porch with a guitar and singing his heart out. Reminds me a lot of what I did for many years as a songwriter.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM

13,116 posts, read 11,943,589 times
LRUA and JetJocky make good points here.

Simple songs that have become country standards. Good point by LRUA,
Hank Williams wrote material that the people in his era could relate to. Living in the South. Dirt poor and I mean POOR! As he cut his early material just as WW-II was ending, he wrote songs about heartbreak, loss, and despair. But most importantly, he could relate to poor folk, common folk in words that they could identify with. I don't believe that the upper country echelon was (if there was such a thing) too thrilled about him with his whiny voice and his point blank style.

JetJocky hits the nail on the head as well. He died in 1953 and was only 29.But he wrote incredible material while he was alive. He lived a troubled life and his songs reflected that. The purchase of recordings was in its infancy in his day, 78's were what people had to work with, as 45's and ep's did not come along till the early 50's. Albums were marketed in 10'' form in 1949, then 12" form in 1953.

Hank Williams is the bridge between Country Western music and Rock and Roll. Decades after his passing, his music has been covered by many artists of different genres. In fact, the 1998 box set "The Complete Hank Williams" won a Grammy. Rockabilly? Sounds like Hank!

Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash define Country music. They are its two biggest figures.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-28-2008 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 PM

2,387 posts, read 3,992,434 times
One time after another, many of country's greatest male stars have tipped their hat to ol' Hank. Something about those old songs of his with him singing them that send me. Whatever the magic was, he certainly had it.

Another thing, just about everybody I've ever known knows a Hank song. Jambalaya, your cheatin' heart, I'm so lonesome I could cry, Hey good lookin', and drum roll please; Move it on over. The same song George Thorogood did years later. I think Hank certainly could pick em'.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:38 PM

3,721 posts, read 1,235,013 times
I guess people are also a sucker for the "tortured artiste" Hank surely defines it. I absolutely love Norah Jones rendition of "Cold Cold Heart" and I guess he did pen some memorable lyrics.

YouTube - Norah Jones - Cold Cold Heart

Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 PM

8,306 posts, read 10,761,754 times
Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, the Ramones, good whiskey, espresso, stout ...

There's just some things in life that are an acquired taste. But once you're hooked, there's no going back. And there's no real explaining it either. Like trying to explain chocolate ice cream to someone who has never tasted milk, seen ice, or has the faintest idea what cocoa is.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,741,328 times
It may be hard to compare him with the voices of today since the recording quality was so poor as compared with now. Overall though, I think he came out with the right voice at the right time. He may not have been the same smash hit super star if he came out in 2008.

I do enjoy the pureness of his voice and those incredible lyrics.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM

8,306 posts, read 10,761,754 times
Funny song about this very topic:

YouTube - Waylon Jennings-Hank Willams Jr- Conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music