Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Band has more talent?
Nickelback 20 17.86%
The freecreditreport.com band 92 82.14%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Hmm . . . well, I don't know the freecreditreport.com band (is that the music on television commercials for that or something?), and I'm not much of a Nickelback fan, BUT, I don't dislike Nickelback, either. I agree their songwriting is kinda generic, but so is the songwriting of hundreds of other musical artists. The guys in Nickelback are solid musicians, at least. I'd say that musically they're on the level of a very good bar band. If they had a bit more creative songwriting I'd probably like them a lot better, but on the other hand, the songwriting they do have is making them a ton of money. Sure beats working in an office somewhere.

I really do not get the hatred of them beyond it being a reaction to their popularity.
I hate bad music because its bad, not because of how popular it is. There are many popular bands that I like because they are respectable musicians. Nickelback takes music in a negative direction and is a 6th grade listening level.

If I had kids and they were listening to Nickelback I would lock them in their rooms and force them to listen to nothing but Bach, Beethoven, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, and other great musicians till they came out with a better respect for music. (I am going to be a awesome parent if I ever have kids. )

As of being good musicians..........................I highschool talent band is just as good. The only reason these guys arn't throwing sand on pee in a elementary school is because the average member in society is so stupid that they think this crap is good. When after all Nickelback is nothing but a marketing scheme to sell cds. They pick some crap untalented band to do so. This is Capatalism giving true art a hugs slap in the face, and Nickelback is guilty of it. It ticks me off when Nickelcrap gets more respect over another Canadian band, Rush, that deserves it and is great musicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
back when we were in pre school
I thought you were really cool
then you ran of with another man
I think his name was Dan.
I wont date another till those memories fade
God how horrible it was in the second grade
LOL...I want in!!

Chorus:
Never will I get back home
Now that I am full grown
All those days are in the past
Love and youth, they just don't last.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Sometimes I think about just giving up and writing garbage too. I'd be sooooooooo freaking rich now.
It would be fun to empirically test that.

Or--it's not so easy. Not only does it depend on factors other than the music, it's not so easy to write and play music, if you're in the right position to have it heard by the public on anything like the scale of Nickelback, to write hits. There's no "secret formula" for it, and that's easily enough observable by the facts that (1) a lot of people are in a position where, if there were a formula, they'd use it, and (2) those folks are struggling with financial success just like the rest of us.
Quote:
Why does moral integrity have to be such a hard thing to get rid of?
Moral integrity??

Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz litebeer View Post
Lets write a Nickelback song! I'll start...
That house is the color blue/
and that makes me think of you/
ok, someone keep it going...
I don't consider lyrics alone to be a song (neither do I consider lyrics necessary for a song).

Old 12-12-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
LOL...I want in!!

Chorus:
Never will I get back home
Now that I am full grown
All those days are in the past
Love and youth, they just don't last.
Now I am a lead singer in a rock and roll band
There's no reason to return to the mother land
it will just make me re-live that horrible time
I can make money on three chords and a rhyme.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I hate bad music because its bad, not because of how popular it is.
Okay, but maybe this would be more informative if we talk about why you are of the opinion that Nickelback's music is bad. It would be most helpful to talk about that on a music-theoretical level, if you're familiar enough with music theory to do that, and it would be even more helpful to talk on the music-theoretical level about why you believe their music is bad in contrast to music that you like, such as Rush. For example, we could talk about the features that a typical recent Rush song might have, like "Roll the Bones", "Test for Echo" or "Earthshine" that you think are the right features to have over features that a typical Nickelback song has.

Or, if not on a music-theoretical level, at least talk about it in terms of observables . . . so we're not saying completely ambiguous, subjective-assessment things like that one person has "talent" or "passion" and another doesn't. It would help to talk about what we're observing that's counting as "talent" or "passion".

I also much prefer Rush to Nickelback, too, by the way--I'm a pretty big Rush fan, actually, but I don't at all agree that Nickelback is a bad band, that they're not solid musicians, etc., and I don't think it's because I'm stupid--and definitely not about music. I have degrees in music theory/composition, and I've worked as a musician, composer, teacher, etc. for over 30 years.

By the way, "It ticks me off when Nickelcrap gets more respect over another Canadian band, Rush, that deserves it and is great musicians" sure sounds to me like resentment that Nickelback is popular.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 AM

I take it you like Nickelback over the freecreditreport.com guys.

They are very similair. they are just in it to produce crapy music and make as much money as they can.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I take it you like Nickelback over the freecreditreport.com guys.

They are very similair. they are just in it to produce crapy music and make as much money as they can.
In my first post in this thread I said, "Hmm . . . well, I don't know the freecreditreport.com band (is that the music on television commercials for that or something?)"--and that's still the case.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
By the way, "It ticks me off when Nickelcrap gets more respect over another Canadian band, Rush, that deserves it and is great musicians" sure sounds to me like resentment that Nickelback is popular.
Well, I concur...Nickelback doesnt deserve the resepect they receive. In my opinion they are trite, formulaic, and boring. Also I believe the lyrics to be rediculous and stupid. So sue me. My eight year old son would prefer to listen to The Ramones or Clutch but when he discusses these bands at school, the kids scratch their heads and ignore him-choosing instead to discuss the 'awesome' new Nickelback song. That is just sad, to this music lover.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
In my first post in this thread I said, "Hmm . . . well, I don't know the freecreditreport.com band (is that the music on television commercials for that or something?)"--and that's still the case.

Here you go..
YouTube - All 3 Freecreditreport.com Commercials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music