U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 PM

9,932 posts, read 7,914,484 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Imagine Live - John Lennon - 72

Yes, let's leave Yoko alone. Those of us not living in a bubble know Yoko wasn't responsible for breaking up the Beatles. On a lighter note, I always got a kick out of this as a kid. The Spaghetti Incident at 1:25. The Beatles were great when they were mugging.

YouTube - The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Part 4

I liked the Beatles movies, including Magical Mystery Tour. All those great songs!

YouTube - The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (High quality)

YouTube - The Beatles I Am The Walrus (Remastered)

YouTube - The Beatles - All you need is love [With lyrics]
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM

This is better. It has pictures! We all know the lyrics anyway right?

YouTube - The Beatles All You Need is Love

Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 PM

13,327 posts, read 30,297,812 times
Saucywench you totally rock.
Happy Birthday, indeed, to John and Sean, who has turned out to be a credit to his father.

Someone else in the thread, I am so sorry not to name them, mentioned Lennon's range as a songwriter, and I so agree.
I also loved his singing voice.
Lennon was a flawed human being--just like me, and a lot of us.
Unlike me, he had true genius, a desire to get up there and belt out his words, and an in-your-face attitude.
But this guy who could be so abrasive could also be tender.
I enjoyed this song. I have seen Yoko speak and I respect how she has dealt with Lennon's legacy.

YouTube - john lennon grow old with me

Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 PM

BWP-Thanks!

It was fun finding this thread at this time. I was going to stay home all night and play on the computer(3 day weekend). But, I received a spontaneous invitation. I'm just waiting on friend. So, I'll have to leave for a while. Everybody have fun tonight! I'll keep posting until my friend calls. SW

Today is the day of the penetrating gaze. Others born today-Jackson Browne, Cervantes, John Entwhistle(The Who), Camille Saint-Saens, Jaques Tati, Charles X, and Alla G. Massevitch a woman rocket scientist.

I saw a boat slowly cutting its way through a frozen river and at the same moment a friend said, "Love breaks the ice."

Last edited by saucywench; 10-09-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 PM

Just a song before I go. I'm wearing a pink coat though.

YouTube - The Beatles - Baby's In Black (NME Poll Winners Concert) HQ

That version was live, so it's a little ruff. Here's the nice and easy version...
YouTube - beatles babys in black

Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 PM

They seemed to be having fun in that first video.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 AM

27,237 posts, read 27,163,572 times
I watched one of many biopics about John Lennon and the Beatles--but it focused a lot more on Stu Sutcliffe, and the loss John felt when he died. I wonder how true that was, how often John really thought of him--outside that movie.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,297,812 times
This book was the best source I ever found for info on the Beatles in general and John in particular. The author (in personal life as their sound engineer) was actually closer to Paul, but I found his writing both fascinating and objective.
And I actually learned new stories about the Beatles, things I had not known before about their innovations, instrumentation, and personal lives.
There is a wealth of material on Lennon, including his relationship with Stu Sutcliffe.

Here, There and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick

Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm sure most of us have some wild stories from our pasts. And I would imagine that rock stars, musicians, and other artists have many more. Most of know about John's "Lost Weekend" in LA. Although I know John is a flawed human, just like all of us, he had great ideals. He is my favorite musician of all time. An artist, a prophet, a lover of humanity. I've always loved John Lennon, and no matter what I've read, I thought how cool it would have been to hang out with him and his friends, and all the other musicians and people he knew. There was the Troubadour incident, or was it the Whiskey a Go Go? There were so many stories. John and Harry Nilsson heckling the Smothers Brothers and others. Throwing fem products on stage. I found it all hilarious when I was reading it back in the 70s and 80s. John and Nilsson thrown out of bars on the Sunset Strip. I've been there, and it's not like those bars are models of decorum. That bouncer had grapes. What a story to tell your kids. I'm sure John, as well as, Nilsson were highly amused. And Phil Spector firing off a gun in the sound booth. A few people witnessed that incident. I'm sure we don't doubt that it happened, right? But, John was being persecuted by the American govt. He was a subverssive in their eyes. They wanted him deported. He loved NYC, was worried about the posssibility of being deported, because he wanted to stay in America(NYC). John Lennon was not an out of control madman. Goes to show you cannot believe everything you read or hear. The govt. wanted him gone. Sad thing is if they had been successful he might still be alive. I was always ashamed that he was murdered in America, in NYC, by an American. Murdered in front of his wife at the entrance to his house. And don't believe the TV movies either. The Catcher in the Rye angle. Hooey!!! Makes a good movie idea though. I've read Catcher and Heart of Darkness, I've listened to AC/DC and Black Sabbath, and I don't go around assassinating people. That guy was a psycho who deserves to be locked up for the rest of his natural life. And, the American govt did not brainwash him into killing Lennon.

From Wiki. Lennon's order of deportation was overturned in 1975. In 1976, Lennon's US immigration status was finally resolved favourably, and he received his green card. Nixon's successor, Gerald Ford, showed little interest in continuing the battle. When Jimmy Carter was inaugurated as president on 19 January 1977, Lennon and Ono attended the Inaugural Ball.[170][171]

Brainwashed by the govt.? Sounds like more bizarre book, or movie plots to me. If.........(if!) John's assassin was influenced, or brainwashed by anyone, or anything, it was by religion. Remember "more popular than Jesus," and "imagine no religion?" I'm sure there are many others too. John Lennon's murderer was a psycho, and a wing nut. This is just one of the many incidents that give "organized" religion a black eye. Great fodder for athiests, as well as, agnostics. Things have spun out of control. Too much rhetoric. Everything is black or white. No one has come together. It's probably best John is not around anymore. I think he would really be disappointed in humanity. Here is someone else's take on the "Lost Weekend."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/ar....10978303.html

Some more of my favorite songs.

YouTube - Help - The Beatles

YouTube - The Beatles-Ticket To Ride

YouTube - beatles - help! - you've got to hide your love away

Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 PM

27,237 posts, read 27,163,572 times
Last movie I saw about Lennon was "The U.S. vs. John Lennon".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music