Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Interesting replys so far everyone. Several said they played more in their younger days but not as often as we get older. Im guilty too. I guess I played like hell when I was young hoping to get a real gig someplace.

Dont ya all wish you pursued the dream harder?
I still compose, record and gig, so I'm kinda still pursuing it, but unless our culture changes a lot or it's novely act, "rock star" is probably out of the running for me at this point, lol. Folks are too youth-oriented in their expectations for that.

I wish that I had made some different decisions than I did, at least. I didn't realize until much later than I should have just how important networking is, and I also didn't realize until much later than I should have that the most important thing for a band is finding a group of musicians who all have the same long-term goals and the same almost-obsessive drive to reach them to the exclusion of anything else.

The biggest obstacles turned out to be that we didn't know anyone we needed to know and never tried to work on it, AND that almost every band I was in had some members who were just playing because they liked music and we got along, had some smiilar tastes, etc. but where they weren't very focused on what they wanted to do long term . . . We had no "business plan", guys got married, got normal jobs, wouldn't leave normal jobs they were in to pursue it more seriously, etc. Sharing goals and persistence is actually far more important than anything else. Those should be the first questions we ask other musicians when we're forming a band (whether we're trying to "make it" or just want it to be a hobby where we maybe play at a local bar every other Saturday).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
If you count the voice, I'm a great singer.
I just have really bad stage fright.
It takes a lot for me to sing in front of someone.
I used to be really confident but over the years as I watched a friend of mine (who could not sing as well as me) sing with such confidence...I lost mine for some reason. It would make more sense if she could sing better than me but...she can't.

I hope to one day learn to play the piano, violin, and harp.
You are in great company. You remind me of another of my favorite singers Carly Simon. One of musics greatest voices yet you can count the number of shows she did on 2 hands in her whole career. She has horrible stage fright so she will only perform in front of friends.

The same is true with Barbara Stresand but she is trash.

So even the best of em can get stage fright.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
I can't believe i missed this thread! I play guitar, bass guitar, drums, and keyboard. I have all kinds of different influences, too many to list.

I can listen to pretty much anything except for gangsta rap, and today's pop music.

I used to play in a hardcore metal band in my 20s. Had been trying to put a band together with my bud that played drums in that band, but life has gotten in the way.

In the meantime, i am working on composing my own music, so i can do a one man band show deal (i would play guitar, and sing onstage, and have the rest of the music on a CD or something.)
Dont that suck?

Be sure to let us know how you make out with your solo gig.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I still compose, record and gig, so I'm kinda still pursuing it, but unless our culture changes a lot or it's novely act, "rock star" is probably out of the running for me at this point, lol. Folks are too youth-oriented in their expectations for that.

I wish that I had made some different decisions than I did, at least. I didn't realize until much later than I should have just how important networking is, and I also didn't realize until much later than I should have that the most important thing for a band is finding a group of musicians who all have the same long-term goals and the same almost-obsessive drive to reach them to the exclusion of anything else.

The biggest obstacles turned out to be that we didn't know anyone we needed to know and never tried to work on it, AND that almost every band I was in had some members who were just playing because they liked music and we got along, had some smiilar tastes, etc. but where they weren't very focused on what they wanted to do long term . . . We had no "business plan", guys got married, got normal jobs, wouldn't leave normal jobs they were in to pursue it more seriously, etc. Sharing goals and persistence is actually far more important than anything else. Those should be the first questions we ask other musicians when we're forming a band (whether we're trying to "make it" or just want it to be a hobby where we maybe play at a local bar every other Saturday).
I dislike your taste in music but reading what you just said tells me you sure have a lot of wisdom for a young person. I sure do admire that. I was also born and lived where you live now.

Good day to you.....

Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I dislike your taste in music but reading what you just said tells me you sure have a lot of wisdom for a young person. I sure do admire that. I was also born and lived where you live now.

Good day to you.....
Puts up the stop sign:

LOL

Maybe you just mean you dislike how broad my taste is/you wouldn't include some stuff I include. There's not really any music I dislike even. I certainly like some of it a lot more than other music (and sometimes I'm more in the mood for some things than other times), but there's no music I'd ever say I hate. On rateyourmusic, I've never rated anything below 1.5 stars out of 5, and I don't think I ever would. So probably everything you like I also like at least a bit.

Also, maybe you're really old, but I'm no spring chicken. Put it this way--I'm old enough that I attended a Jimi Hendrix concert . . . but I was also young enough that I didn't remember much about it.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
You are in great company. You remind me of another of my favorite singers Carly Simon. One of musics greatest voices yet you can count the number of shows she did on 2 hands in her whole career. She has horrible stage fright so she will only perform in front of friends.

The same is true with Barbara Stresand but she is trash.

So even the best of em can get stage fright.
That makes sense b/c they both sound like crap

Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM

103 posts, read 503,348 times
I guess if I had to play something, someone might entrust me with the triangle.
Lol...zero musical talent here. (Not implying that people who play the triangle have no talent).

Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiepants View Post
I guess if I had to play something, someone might entrust me with the triangle.
Lol...zero musical talent here. (Not implying that people who play the triangle have no talent).
Maybe we could do something along the lines of "Spoonman" with you, lol.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
And I play a bad-@ss tambourine - if we're listing triangles, let's not forget the tambourine. I can play it at least as good as any of the Partridge Family kids or Davey Jones in The Monkees did.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey, I even had a band named The Baby Harp Seal Hunters (We were kind of this faux punk tongue-in-cheek band). But, between college, working my way through college, having my father drop dead and being forced to support my mother, getting married, starting a biz, and having kids, the drums had to take a back seat.

But now, as I get older, I'm beginning to get the itch again.

I was in an... interesting band for a while. We were a 80's style metal hairband called the Whimsical British Nannys and we only did covers of boy band songs (everything from Jackson 5 to N*Sync). Gotta love just playing music for the hell of it, with no real direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music