Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,655,470 times

Advertisements

There are times I really miss disco. I guess because I came of age in the 1970s and disco was hot when I was 18 (old nuff to drink and club back then). I know lots of rock purist hated disco but I really liked disco. It was a fun time back then. There was lots of crap I never want to see again including white suits, platform shoes, bell bottoms, and any car made by AMC including the Gremlin. But I would not mind seing disco make a come back again. What was your favourite disco song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TGnnswB64
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM

14,644 posts, read 16,989,908 times
These are my 3 faves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwTGQ...eature=related
Do the Hustle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aakoa...eature=related
Boogie Shoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2Fve72AZg My Everything

God bless

Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM

702 posts, read 2,288,628 times
You're not alone. You can check out my thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/music...ove-disco.html

Disco was before my time, but I'd sure like to see it come back again. I don't even dance, but I would if I knew how to disco dance.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 PM

Any good links to actual dancers? Those were all audio. I like seeing the dance moves, personally.

EDIT: Check out the Finnish disco instructional...classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwakjoSs754

Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times
Default I always liked

progressive type disco like Donna Summer's McArthur park, the way she blended disco and rock with Bad Girls and The Wanderer, the group Chic, there's so much disco I like I definitely would like to see a comeback. the Saturday Night Fever album is a classic

Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,946,138 times
It all depends on where you're standing. In England it never went out. LOL I have a disco playlist on Imeem. I like some of it b'c I love to dance.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Here's another one to check out:

YouTube - Sweet Disco Moves

At the 4 minute mark he starts grooving. Hilarious! Now I can learn to disco from Youtube - watch out.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Man I hated disco as much as the next guy. I particapated in the world famous disco record burning in NYC way back what was that like 1978? I never minded the Bee Gees much but when they did that disco trash we all wanted to commit murder we were so mad.

Today, like all good nostalgic things, if something disco comes on I will listen to it. The only disco I gave any credit to was Donna Summer.

Whatever the deal....... those were some better times. And it will never come back. Give me the bell bottoms back. Give me the peace signs. Im ready to rerun the 60s and 70s. Hell I have not cut my hair since then so all I need is the bell bottoms with the tie dyed shirt and a head band and Im all set to go.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
Some disco was actually pretty interesting music, giving rise to the new wave, alternative, synth pop generation in the 80s, especially with the dance remixes.

I was a little young in the disco years of the late 70s, but I have heard many of the songs over the years, some are great. And, some have stood the test of time, being reinterpreted and covered years later. And, some of the groups were really first rate headliners. The era is perhaps one of the most maligned in music, but it seems to have been largely reflective of the feel good era of dance clubs in the period.

Some that I like include:

Most of ABBA, which set the stage for Roxette in the 80s-90s, bringing attention to the Swedish music scene.

YouTube - The ABBA Megamix

YouTube - Roxette - The Rox Medley

Disco Inferno - The Trammps

YouTube - Roxette - The Rox Medley

Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston

YouTube - Thelma Houston - Dont Leave Me This Way [totp2]

Captain & Tenile - Love Will Keep Us Together

YouTube - Love will keep us together, Captain & Tennille

Captain & Tenile - Do That To Me One More Time

YouTube - Do that to me one more time, Captain and Tennille

Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,318 times
wow, i occasionally dont listen to disco but in the meantime when someone brings me the disk of it (anything!) i like it, but cant say that i know this area of music very well... i know just a few names of classical disco singers, say Spice Girls, Marty Angelo, huh.. just a little
though i also dislike such clothes styles like platform shoes etc. - it's trippy! i wonder if disco will revive soon and there will be a more modern style of clothes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music