Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,429 times

Advertisements

Music is a huge part of my life! I live it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times
Here is my take on the issue, or at least how I am.

I like some music, listened to a lot of it in my younger days, played drums in a few bands, but now at 30 I am not into it as much. I even worked in the music industry for a few years around a bunch of music fanatics.

There is just not much out there for me anymore. I have rarely found a newer group that I care for. All of the old stuff I like, I have listened to so much, I can't listen to it anymore. I just can not listen to the same thing repeatedly. I tire of it after awhile.

I guess I have given up after so much crap has been produced, marketed, and sold to people.

In a way, I am indifferent to much of the same variety that I hear now. Although, I did order a box set today with a gift card.

To sum it up, I don't dislike music. I am just selective about what I like. When I do find something I like, I listen to it often, but then it gets old. I only watch movies a few times, then can't watch them anymore. So, many times I don't listen to music for the above reasons.

Yes, I am odd. Maybe I just hate everything, and should move to a cabin in the woods. What are your opinions?
[LEFT][LEFT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/LEFT][/LEFT]

Old 01-03-2009, 01:36 AM

52,239 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Do you know any? What do they say about it other than they don't lke it? I don't know any personally but when I hear of them I'm intrigued. I can't fathom disliking music.
I couldn't imagine people not liking music.

Music and comedy is was keeps me above ground.

I've always said my hero's were comedians and musicians.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Do you know any? What do they say about it other than they don't lke it? I don't know any personally but when I hear of them I'm intrigued. I can't fathom disliking music.
YES! I went on a couple dates with a woman who on the second date revealed to me that she didn't listen to music. Now, if you wanted to be rid of me quickly, there would be few things besides saying you don't listen to music that would get the job done quicker..........maybe that you had a scorching case of herpes, for instance. Needless to say, I never asked her out again.

It is absolutely unfathomable to me that there are people out there that don't listen to and enjoy music of some sort, sometime. It's such an emotional quencher for me that I wouldn't last long without it.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
I knew someone who admittedly didn't care for music. But he was married to someone who was more 'normal' in this area, so he occasionally went to a concert (for her).

I knew one other who never listened to it willingly, either. He was an eccentric engineer who focused completely into his work, never turned on a radio for some musical accompaniment, ever.

Music soothes or energizes, makes one happy or depresses (usually a particular song). It can bring nostalgia (good or bad), set one's mood, even alter one's mental state (usually drums). It's very powerful, so it's difficult for me to understand that a person can't like some type of music.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,236 times
Talking Intriqued by the boring

Quote:

I've known too many people who can take it or leave it. And unfortunately most of them having been on the boring side in all areas of their lives. Even many of the ones with college degrees and superior jobs. Seems there comes personality with a love of music.

But also I agree with SP. I can busy myself all day on a mountain and be perfectly content with the actual sound of silence. But, if a campsite exists and a guitarist is near, it is only fitting and really highly desired to have a tune played and/or sung.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,287 times
I cannot comprehend not LOVING music of some kind. It's been with me since birth. My parents always played 45's and the radio. I had to listen to a lot of awful 50s and 60s stuff for many years, but I'm glad it exposed me to the world of music, because now I wouldn't want to be without it. I love to sing it, I love to think about the words (if the song is that kind of song), I love to be INVOLVED in it. They say every book is an adventure; well, it's the same for songs. I have them for any mood I'm in. It's company. It's sympathy. It can be like a friend who is psyched for you when something good happens. There is so much great stuff out there (okay, not NOW, but there used to be!) that I don't get not being able to get into ANY of it.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
Mm hmm There are more out there than I thought. Shocking. But I'm not shocked anyone wouldn't want to listen to the radio. Radio has ruined more songs for me than I can remember. Most music I like isn't mainstream for that very reason.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
There is just not much out there for me anymore. I have rarely found a newer group that I care for. All of the old stuff I like, I have listened to so much, I can't listen to it anymore. I just can not listen to the same thing repeatedly. I tire of it after awhile.
Do you want to find newer music that you get excited about?

If so, can you tell me something about the way you try to find new music? Maybe we can give you some tips there that would make your searches more successful.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,914 times
Quote:
Mm hmm There are more out there than I thought. Shocking. But I'm not shocked anyone wouldn't want to listen to the radio. Radio has ruined more songs for me than I can remember. Most music I like isn't mainstream for that very reason.
What I find just as foreign to my inclinations is that there are even more people who never watch movies, even more than that who never read fiction (or other books for that matter), and even more than that who never look at visual art, go to museums or galleries, etc.

I love all that stuff as much as I love music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music