U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

Hello. I want to move somewhere out of Nashville for a better music scene. Right now, I am considering either Chattanooga,TN or Greensboro,NC or Wichita Falls,TX. I want to be at least as big as The Secret Handshake or Breathe Carolina. Can you choose a good city? Peace out.

Last edited by rollerskateradio; 12-23-2008 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: I want to move out of Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,638,509 times
Better then Nashville? There is no better music scene then Nashville. None. Maybe you mean get away from the country scene a little? I believe the best music scene for the whole varity of music is Austin, Texas hands down. Look it up. The whole city is full of live music in every club 7 nights a week Free concerts of all kinds where ever there is a lawn. Stray and homeless musicians playing on street corners for change. Music halls that are very inexpensive where you can hear everything and anything.

Other then that the only place that I have been or heard of might be Seattle or Vancouver, BC but I think some of that fame has died when Heart, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and of course Jimmi Hendrix faded and worse yet, the birth place of grunge died another slow death. Seattle still has a thriving music scene but I guess what Im saying is it is not what it used to be.

Vancouver, BC, inspired by the many greats who graduated from the Music School of Capilano College is also high on the music scene. Vancouver I consder a sister city of Seattle. Of course BC is proud of its many famous rockers like Bryan Adams, Allison Crow, Sara Mclachlin, NickleBack and such. (dont say Rush, they are from Toronto)

Most of these artists shared playing both cities.

Good luck in your ventures.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,670,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Better then Nashville? There is no better music scene then Nashville. None. Maybe you mean get away from the country scene a little? I believe the best music scene for the whole varity of music is Austin, Texas hands down. Look it up. The whole city is full of live music in every club 7 nights a week Free concerts of all kinds where ever there is a lawn. Stray and homeless musicians playing on street corners for change. Music halls that are very inexpensive where you can hear everything and anything.

Other then that the only place that I have been or heard of might be Seattle or Vancouver, BC but I think some of that fame has died when Heart, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and of course Jimmi Hendrix faded and worse yet, the birth place of grunge died another slow death. Seattle still has a thriving music scene but I guess what Im saying is it is not what it used to be.

Vancouver, BC, inspired by the many greats who graduated from the Music School of Capilano College is also high on the music scene. Vancouver I consder a sister city of Seattle. Of course BC is proud of its many famous rockers like Bryan Adams, Allison Crow, Sara Mclachlin, NickleBack and such. (dont say Rush, they are from Toronto)

Most of these artists shared playing both cities.

Good luck in your ventures.
Canada is not proud of Nickelback. More like embarassed by them! Do not forget Neko Case and Sue Foley.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:13 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,638,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Canada is not proud of Nickelback. More like embarassed by them! Do not forget Neko Case and Sue Foley.
Well you wont get an argument from me there. I remember a week or so ago some did a thread mocking on Nickelback. I bet it was started by you. I dont know much about them really. If it's a 90s band then I likely would not even give it a look.

Really though, Canada is proud of any fame that comes out of there and makes it big in Hollywood or anywhere in the USA for that matter. I can speak from first hand experience, this is not my opinion.

Oher then the huge movie industry in Vancouver any rather tiny movie industry in Toronto, opportunities are small in Canada. One thing you can be sure of. There are 2 things all Canadians love most. They love their hockey and they love Rush rock and roll.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 23,983 times
Nashville's music scene isn't like normal scenes. It is actually bad for most musicians that have not been playing there for years and have a handful of contacts. The towns you named are quite small and you may have a hard time finding good musicians and a following. Try Chicago, Seattle, Denver, ect.. big metros..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,808 times
Best music scene in the country right now is Brooklyn, NY....

Old 05-05-2009, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 23,983 times
One bad thing I have heard about Brooklyn, and I've only played there once while on tour.. but I heard it is extremely hard to get a real following, because it is just so big, and you can play on the same street and never play to the same person more than once. Which may be a good thing. I'm not sure.

Also, the places he named all are, for the most part, really affordable places to live. Nashville is cheap, so for him to make a move to NYC, well.. I hope he has been saving his cut of the tip jar from playing around nash's broadway clubs.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,336,486 times
Nashville is a good place. My friend's dating a guy from Write This Down and they do all their recording in Nashville. They hang out with Breathe Carolina a lot too. Funny story... Breathe Carolina drank all my absinthe once! No joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or