Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Monica came hardest on her first CD. She has never come back to that level, and until she does, she isn't a discussion factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Logoff, you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Honestly, I can’t remember either of them having solid records – I just remember various singles – like for Monica I remember “Just One Of Them Days” and “Street Symphony”. For Brandi I remember “Have You Ever” and the song she did with Boyz To Men – even though the name escapes me right now, and “Best Friend”. I would probably remember some more if I heard them but off the top of my heads that’s all that comes to mind. I think at the time both were outdone by Aaliyah so I didn’t pay them any attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times
Quote:
Logoff, you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Actually I do. Nobody's checking for them anymore. Monica will flop harder than Brandy. Monica never achieved the recognition that Brandy has.
I'll check back in once it happens, if she even releases another album.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Actually I do. Nobody's checking for them anymore. Monica will flop harder than Brandy. Monica never achieved the recognition that Brandy has.
I'll check back in once it happens, if she even releases another album.
I think Brandi only received more recognition because she had a better management team but Monica was the better singer. When we think of Monica, you just think of her music (Should have known better – how could I forget that song! I loved that song!) but when you think of Brandi you think of Ray J, Moesha, the whole MTV show about the fake marriage-baby thing, the manslaughter charges, etc. Her life is more public than Monica but I don’t think she’s more talented. I think she’ll flop harder because people expect more from her because she was more popular.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think Brandi only received more recognition because she had a better management team but Monica was the better singer. When we think of Monica, you just think of her music (Should have known better – how could I forget that song! I loved that song!) but when you think of Brandi you think of Ray J, Moesha, the whole MTV show about the fake marriage-baby thing, the manslaughter charges, etc. Her life is more public than Monica but I don’t think she’s more talented. I think she’ll flop harder because people expect more from her because she was more popular.
Ummm Brandy was very big back than, can you say baby, bestfriend, have you ever, sitting in my room, what about us,etc. Her album Afrodisac is so underrated and should've gotten more recognition. Monica was too street and thugish to get to Brandy's level, you can't achieve that amount of success when your acting street all the time, you just won't crossover.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I can’t remember either of them having solid records – I just remember various singles – like for Monica I remember “Just One Of Them Days” and “Street Symphony”. For Brandi I remember “Have You Ever” and the song she did with Boyz To Men – even though the name escapes me right now, and “Best Friend”. I would probably remember some more if I heard them but off the top of my heads that’s all that comes to mind. I think at the time both were outdone by Aaliyah so I didn’t pay them any attention.
Lets just keep it real here, Aaliyah wasn't that big until she passed. Brandy won so many awards and had so many hits compared to Monica and Aaliyah. The reason Brandy continues to flop is because of promotion. Her song "right here" was loved by many people, but you just don't see her getting the attention like Beyonce and Britney Spears get. Aaliyah was just starting to reach her peak when she died.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lets just keep it real here, Aaliyah wasn't that big until she passed. Brandy won so many awards and had so many hits compared to Monica and Aaliyah. The reason Brandy continues to flop is because of promotion. Her song "right here" was loved by many people, but you just don't see her getting the attention like Beyonce and Britney Spears get. Aaliyah was just starting to reach her peak when she died.

Actually get your facts straight, Brandy sold more albums, but Monica has 5 number one hits, not including the single First Night topping 3 other charts. Monica has more number ones than many TOP ARTIST today, Including Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Chris Brown Etc. Hell Beyonce and Rihanna, just got above 5 number one hits.

I don't think anyone could flop harder than Brandy. I love her new album, but 72,000 in the first week? I'm sorry Monica will never flop like that.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Actually get your facts straight, Brandy sold more albums, but Monica has 5 number one hits, not including the single First Night topping 3 other charts. Monica has more number ones than many TOP ARTIST today, Including Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Chris Brown Etc. Hell Beyonce and Rihanna, just got above 5 number one hits.

I don't think anyone could flop harder than Brandy. I love her new album, but 72,000 in the first week? I'm sorry Monica will never flop like that.
A song dosen't have to be number 1 to be a hit. Brandy has presence in foreign countries unlike Monica who never crossed over into international charts besides with "The Boy is Mine". Brandy has stans as far as the UK and JP. You'll probably be shocked to find that not many people in foreign countries would even know who Monica is. Like I said, Monica has potential, but she has got to lose the street attitude if she wants to go anywhere.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Monica's a better singer, yes. but as we have seen time after time, in the music industry, vocal ability is only one of the factors you need to make it big. You also have to have a look, an attitude, and make music that will catch people's attention. And it's also work- putting yourself in situations to get notices. And them some people just happen to be at the right place at the right time. Monica seems like she's happy to chill in ATL and be 'that chick'.

Technical ability alone does not equal star.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Monica's a better singer, yes. but as we have seen time after time, in the music industry, vocal ability is only one of the factors you need to make it big. You also have to have a look, an attitude, and make music that will catch people's attention. And it's also work- putting yourself in situations to get notices. And them some people just happen to be at the right place at the right time. Monica seems like she's happy to chill in ATL and be 'that chick'.

Technical ability alone does not equal star.
Exactly.

Look at Rihanna, she has been producing hits left and right, but once she is off the scene, no one talks about her and even brings her up because of her poor image and lack of showing her personality. She dosen't have stage presence or a certian image. Beyonce is boring in interviews, but amazing on stage. Brandy had the trademark braids, the raspy natural voice,etc.

Monica won't go anywhere if she don't lose that street attitude, it's good to be real, but you got to understand it's unappropriate in some places. Artist like Mary J and Ludacris were the same way, but look at them now. They know how to turn it on and off.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly.

Look at Rihanna, she has been producing hits left and right, but once she is off the scene, no one talks about her and even brings her up because of her poor image and lack of showing her personality. She dosen't have stage presence or a certian image. Beyonce is boring in interviews, but amazing on stage. Brandy had the trademark braids, the raspy natural voice,etc.

Monica won't go anywhere if she don't lose that street attitude, it's good to be real, but you got to understand it's unappropriate in some places. Artist like Mary J and Ludacris were the same way, but look at them now. They know how to turn it on and off.

Agreed. Some people highly value that 'keep it real' attitude, but in life, period, you gotta leave some of that stuff behind to grow and succeed. Like you said, some artists know there's a time and a place to bring it out, and can do it with ease, but they would otherwise stall if that's all they had to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music