Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,171,277 times

Advertisements

Biggie without a doubt.

Also, in a strange coincidence, he died on the same day and almost exact same time as my grandmother.

I remember the phone ringing at our house, I was like 16 at the time. I didn't answer it, and, as I was falling back asleep, I heard on the radio that he was killed.

Later, I found out obviously that was my Aunt calling to let us know that my grandmother passed away.

I am hoping they are both up in heaven kickin it together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Thats pretty sad.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I agree, I've always like Pac a bit more than Biggie for this reason. take away the music, print out the lyrics, and you can see that Tupac's words in many of his songs are really pure poetry and have real weight to them. I'm one of those people that really love looking at music lyrics this way, stripped of any accompanying music. yet at the same time, he had songs that showed his thug side (which really came out during the "west side vs east side" nonsense).

it doesn't hurt that Tupac's songs are constantly being put out on new CDs so he's more around than Biggie. one negative against Biggie is that he's often associated w/ Diddy, who I truly can't stand now!
true dat.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I ran across Ludacris while waiting in line at the movies in Fayetteville GA. He tried to cut in front of me while I was in line for tickets, and when I told him I was there first, he made a move towards me and asked "do you know who the #*$% I am?". Not a very nice guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I agree, I've always like Pac a bit more than Biggie for this reason. take away the music, print out the lyrics, and you can see that Tupac's words in many of his songs are really pure poetry and have real weight to them. I'm one of those people that really love looking at music lyrics this way, stripped of any accompanying music. yet at the same time, he had songs that showed his thug side (which really came out during the "west side vs east side" nonsense).

it doesn't hurt that Tupac's songs are constantly being put out on new CDs so he's more around than Biggie. one negative against Biggie is that he's often associated w/ Diddy, who I truly can't stand now!
I agree with your post. I remember when Big Pimpin came out - I was like "what's the point of this song" I hate songs that are just about spending money and having ****. Okay I went home and went through my Ipod last night and this is how it played out:

Tupac - Changes, Brenda's got a baby, I Get Around, California Love, How do you want it, dear mama, keep ya head up, I ain't mad at cha, letter to my unborn, Amerikas Most Wanted.

I definitely noticed that I liked more of Pac's lighter stuff, almost all of these songs have a melody (I ain't mad at cha) or a beat you can dance to (California Love) and I liked his videos more too. I Get Around would definitley make it in my Hit List in BET ever decided to ask me

Biggie - Juicy, Big Poppa, One More Chance. Hypnotize, Get Money.

I guess with Biggie I pretty much just listened to whatever was on the ready cause I didn't have the desire to listen to the whole album and for most of these songs I just liked the hook and the beat,

Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
When it comes to vocabulary and complex lyrics, Lupe Fiasco is up there too.
Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West and Fort Minor( He's also a part of Linkin Park.) are my favorite to-date Artist.not that Bull **** rap to-date all about girls,cars,money,rims and so and such.This reminds me of N.W.A. Song Gangsta Gangsta when Ice Cube says " When its not about the salary its all about Reality".

Last edited by californialove24; 01-11-2009 at 01:11 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Don't get me wrong Pac was a beast in all regards from the very beginning. He also rapped about money, clothes and hoes. One of his greatest songs is "How Do You Want It." Remember he accused BIG of stealing his style and giving it that NYC appeal. I see Pac as someone who was torn at times. Searching for his true identity. He was a real life irony because of his background. He could blend in with movie stars, gangsters, elitist, hoods, thugs, politcally and socially conscious people. His music reflected that. He could have also been one of our most talented actors. If you look at the many songs he made over a short period of time. Some of his work was brillant and some was so so. I think it depended on what was going on in his life. When he was dealing with some stressful $hit, he was at his best.

BIG was not a complex human like Pac. He only got into the rap game for the money. As a youngster, he idolized the big drug dealers and all that came with that lifestyle. He also changed the game because he single handedly put NYC back on the hip hop map after years of West Coast dominance. Remember before the West Coast took over, Hip Hop was dominated by groups like P.E., Brand Nubians, A Tribe Called Quest. BIG changed the game because he was one of the first MC's to rap about affluence and material stuff like cars and clothes. His lyrics got better and better after each song. Listen to a song like "Gimme the Loot" from Ready to Die and then listen to "My Downfall" or "Ni$$as Bleed" from Life After Death. Remarkable improvement from the two albums. Or his verse from "Notorious Thugs" or Jay-Z's "Brooklyn Finest." In a lot of his work, he told stories but he mixed in real life situations that made you think that the story could be true.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Don't get me wrong Pac was a beast in all regards from the very beginning. He also rapped about money, clothes and hoes. One of his greatest songs is "How Do You Want It." Remember he accused BIG of stealing his style and giving it that NYC appeal. I see Pac as someone who was torn at times. Searching for his true identity. He was a real life irony because of his background. He could blend in with movie stars, gangsters, elitist, hoods, thugs, politcally and socially conscious people. His music reflected that. He could have also been one of our most talented actors. If you look at the many songs he made over a short period of time. Some of his work was brillant and some was so so. I think it depended on what was going on in his life. When he was dealing with some stressful $hit, he was at his best.

BIG was not a complex human like Pac. He only got into the rap game for the money. As a youngster, he idolized the big drug dealers and all that came with that lifestyle. He also changed the game because he single handedly put NYC back on the hip hop map after years of West Coast dominance. Remember before the West Coast took over, Hip Hop was dominated by groups like P.E., Brand Nubians, A Tribe Called Quest. BIG changed the game because he was one of the first MC's to rap about affluence and material stuff like cars and clothes. His lyrics got better and better after each song. Listen to a song like "Gimme the Loot" from Ready to Die and then listen to "My Downfall" or "Ni$$as Bleed" from Life After Death. Remarkable improvement from the two albums. Or his verse from "Notorious Thugs" or Jay-Z's "Brooklyn Finest." In a lot of his work, he told stories but he mixed in real life situations that made you think that the story could be true.
Very good point. Biggie was good at storytelling and blendidng it with what could be TRUE circumstances. He was good at making you think you were in that situation. He did change the game, at a time when alternative hip-hop was taking over the eastcoast, so I can see why people would say he was better. I'll give you that. And I agree Pac did have songs about the money and the girls at times, but that's what I liked about Pac he could blend, but at the same time he wrote what ever he want. He wasnt a slave to deathrow, (Im sure Suge Knight didnt tell him to make CHANGES lol). Pac didnt go with the FLOW of things even pre-death row. Brenda's got a baby, that song was amazing, only Pac could make a song like that and still have grown MEN, thugs, gangsters, and women be like TRUE DAT when they listen to his songs. Any rapper try to make a song like that now days they'ed probably get no respect.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,774 times
Both are good, but the BEST = Eazy-E

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
No other rapper carried so much poetic power in their lyrics than Tupac.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Both are good, but the BEST = Eazy-E
Haha. I like Eazy-E. He put Compton on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music