Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
When I think of artists that died too early, most of the ones that came immediately to mind died a few decades back. Buddy Holly has already been mentioned. The others I thought of were Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Ricky Nelson, Ritchie Valens, and Keith Whitley.
Another artist that I feel died too early was Chris LeDoux. .
Agree with all yours, JDavid, and I'd add Selena to that list. J Lo did a great job of playing Selena's story early in her career. Selena was a huge crossover hit in Mexico and the US and would have made it big. She was murdered by her #1 fan at the age of 23. Selena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Agree with all yours, JDavid, and I'd add Selena to that list. J Lo did a great job of playing Selena's story early in her career. Selena was a huge crossover hit in Mexico and the US and would have made it big. She was murdered by her #1 fan at the age of 23. Selena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I saw that she had already been mentioned, so that's part of the reason I didn't mention her in my post. I agree though, that she belongs on this list. I'm glad most artists don't have fans like the one she had.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
I'm not sure if these folks would be on the pop charts, but I believe they would still be putting out some quality tunes :

Janis Joplin
Patsy Cline
Buddy Holly
John Lennon
George Harrison
Jim Morrison
John Denver
Jim Croce
Dan Fogelberg
Jimi Hendrix
Freddie Mercury
Conway Twitty
Waylon Jennings
Roy Orbison
Marty Robbins (although he'd be really elderly, but I believe he'd still retain that voice of his)
June and Johnny Cash

The people I have highlighted lived to ripe old ages, but still greatly missed.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times
A lot of names could be listed here, but the one I miss the most is Harry Chapin. OK and Kieth Moon.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Another rocker who was only in the public eye for a few months was Bobby Fuller. He had a ton of talent, and his two lp's on the Mustang label are two of the most collected"garage band" records in the hobby. "I Fought The Law" was his major chart hit.

Fuller was found dead in his car parked on a street in Los Angeles, California on July 18, 1966. The investigation was botched by LAPD, and there were a lot of theories as to what happened. I'm not exactly sure when the popular TV show Tales Of Unsolved Mysteries aired it, but they took a crack at it. They interviewed friends and family all over the country, and unfortunately nothing came out of it. Sad.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,418 times
Lennon, Hendrix, Joplin, Harrison, Bobby Darin, Jaco Pastorius, Charley Parker, John Coltrane, Mama Cass, Dusty Springfield, Marvin Gaye...

Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
A few others i thought of were all 70's musicians ......

Andy Gibb ....age 30

Minnie Riperton...age 31

Nicolette Larson ...age 45
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music