Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
OMG Double H. Do you not realize you could TEACH a semester at any community college for sure, or evening continuing ed class as well as a regular college class of contemporary musical history? Just present this post and contact the music department or a professor of history... I'm serious .

You could even teach this class as a web-cast online for a nominal fee... by going thru it slowly with links and in-depth discussions.... I sooo wish I had 4 hours today to just go thru each line and hunt everything down lol

A Maestro in our midst!!! All of you are truly awesome!

:: deeply bows to wisdom given... a precious permanent cultural history that already is invaluable for our times. ::
Absolutely agree, Double HH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Default Professor H ?!

Yikes!! Professor H professes he has but one brain cell left to give to city/data. He professes to spew out Moody Blues trivia at a machine gun clip, but does he remember what he had for breakfast this morning? UH, I dunno! DUH!! Anyhoo, appreciate the kind words!

There aren't that many advantages of becoming a geriatric but I've found that the older you get, there are things that you really enjoyed in life but sadly don't have time for anymore. But the stuff you still make time for you have more enthusiasm than ever before. I've been listening more music than I have lately because it beats watching news! And the news is dismal.

Like I say in my profile-Listen to more music and less talk radio!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:36 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yikes!! Professor H professes he has but one brain cell left to give to city/data. He professes to spew out Moody Blues trivia at a machine gun clip, but does he remember what he had for breakfast this morning? UH, I dunno! DUH!! Anyhoo, appreciate the kind words!

There aren't that many advantages of becoming a geriatric but I've found that the older you get, there are things that you really enjoyed in life but sadly don't have time for anymore. But the stuff you still make time for you have more enthusiasm than ever before. I've been listening more music than I have lately because it beats watching news! And the news is dismal.

:: takes out a heavy tome he's been lugging around for such moments... removes an ink bottle of gold leaf and quill from the newly purchased knapsack.... unscrews bottle and dips quill carefully... writes in best penmanship

a Professor HH's quotation to live by ::

Listen to more music and less talk radio!

:: sprinkles fine sand on the page then blows slowly to help dry without smearing... suddenly looks up and sees Prof. HH!!! ::

Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM

25 posts, read 62,977 times
Default Yipes

Quote:

Don't worry Professor H! I was dusting off my El Roachos l.p. to listen to and located that last brain cell of yours. I'll save it for your next visit.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Default el roachos!

I think I remember them! Hmm, road trip-YESS!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:48 PM

158 posts, read 515,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Hollywood also saw an opportunity within the culture of acid. The 1967 film The Trip which starred Peter Fonda comes to mind. It's the story of a young exec who goes through a painful divorce and starts dropping acid. Considered one of the first psychedelic films, Roger Corman's depiction of tripping's visual effects were quite impressive for the time. The film's cast reads like a who's who in the movie industry. Peter Fonda, Susan Strasberg, Bruce Dern, Dennis Hopper with screenplay by Jack Nicholson. ..

Psych Out - starring almost the same cast as The Trip (1968)
Mr. SquarePeg, I finally got the opportunity to view some of the "acid" films that you suggested. Since there is no DVD player where I live, films must be viewed elsewhere.

Thank you so much for your recommendations. Viewing "The Trip" and "Psych Out" has helped me understand the foundations of acid rock much better.

Both films focus on the West Coast in the mid-60s. Everything felt so real, it was as though I was there, watching the stories unfold. The people emotionally related to one another more closely than I see people relate today; there was a feeling of community. In "Psych Out," even though Jenny (Susan Strasberg) was a runaway that the police were looking for, Stoney (Jack Nicholson) and his band offered her a place to stay. People were very kind and helpful and helped/looked after their friends when they were having (bad) trips and could hurt themselves or others. For example, when Paul (Peter Fonda)'s best friend stayed with him when he first tried acid in "The Trip." They believed in and lived with the thought of peace and love.

Never before have I seen the unusual lighting and designs on people's skin and literally hanging in the atmosphere. From that, it was clear that acid trips influenced the many color combinations and unusual designs in clothing, home interiors and exteriors, and vehicles, seen in the films.

The music felt like sunshine and the guitar solos made a big impression. Recalling ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Jim McGuinn of The Byrds was into Coltrane's Jazz sound and what he tried to do was to channel Coltrane's frenetic sax playing sounds with a guitar....
It really felt like I had entered another time.

It is amazing that acid rock resulted from musicians' attempt to "translate" their drug experiences through music. Again, thank you so much for suggesting the films; I understand so much more now.

~curtseys, eyes aglow~

Last edited by Cellie; 02-22-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I think I remember them! Hmm, road trip-YESS!!!
hehehe :-) I guess you can tell how much we admire you Professor. Thank you Sir for all you do and give to this thread on our behalf... :: bows :: :-)

Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
Professor H ?!
Geez, Professor, I think my one brain cell left from those days is having a flashback! Thanks for the memories! Now, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah, all those colors.........hmmmmm.....

Old 02-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Default Great post!!

I'm not sure why I didn't notice this this, but scanning the posts on this thread I noticed some cool links by Plannine (post #130). The 2 Texas bands, Southwest F.O.B. and Fever Tree, were great! The getups that the bandmembers had on were great, looked like they were attending a bash with George and Martha Washington! Just kidding, anyway great links.

Interestingly, in my area Southwest F.O.B.'s "Smell Of Incense" only got up to maybe #15, in their local area it got to number #3! It was great to hear the talk of the song not making it to #1 as one song was preventing it- Jeannie C. Riley's "Harper Valley P.T.A." That's why I loved that era so much. The top 50, or 30, or whatever always was changing, depending on the area, and included country, jazz, folk, and vocal hits. In two weeks time 20 new songs hit the charts, 20 songs were coming off, and on and on. That has always been my complaint about today's radio programming.

A good cross section sampler with the other groups; West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Touch, Aum, and the Bonzo Dog Band. West Coast pop put out 4 lp's, Aum did 2, Touch just the one (I think) and the Bonzo Dog Band done, I believe, 6 studio lp's, also included a 2 LP best of, released in the early 70's. Great stuff! Also, good call on Carla Bley.

Check out those links if you hadn't done so. Thanks, Plannine!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-23-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why I didn't notice this this, but scanning the posts on this thread I noticed some cool links by Plannine (post #130). The 2 Texas bands, Southwest F.O.B. and Fever Tree, were great! The getups that the bandmembers had on were great, looked like they were attending a bash with George and Martha Washington! Just kidding, anyway great links.

Interestingly, in my area Southwest F.O.B.'s "Smell Of Incense" only got up to maybe #15, in their local area it got to number #3! It was great to hear the talk of the song not making it to #1 as one song was preventing it- Jeannie C. Riley's "Harper Valley P.T.A." That's why I loved that era so much. The top 50, or 30, or whatever always was changing, depending on the area, and included country, jazz, folk, and vocal hits. In two weeks time 20 new songs hit the charts, 20 songs were coming off, and on and on. That has always been my complaint about today's radio programming.

A good cross section sampler with the other groups; West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Touch, Aum, and the Bonzo Dog Band. West Coast pop put out 4 lp's, Aum did 2, Touch just the one (I think) and the Bonzo Dog Band done, I believe, 6 studio lp's, also included a 2 LP best of, released in the early 70's. Great stuff! Also, good call on Carla Bley.

Check out those links if you hadn't done so. Thanks, Plannine!

For those whose computer makes it hard to run down links :-)

Southwest F.O.B. - Smell of Incense - 45 rpm - audio only

YouTube - Southwest F.O.B. - Smell of Incense - 45 rpm
or warped tape but can see costume for a min

YouTube - Southwest F.O.B. - Smell Of Incense

Fever Tree
-San Francisco Girls - stills

YouTube - Fever Tree-San Francisco Girls
or
Fever Tree (San Francisco Girls) -1968 - audio only

YouTube - Fever Tree (San Francisco Girls)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music