Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:20 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times

Advertisements

:walks thru gravel to 3 huge wooden bins full of tapes and thankful that he's in jeans and flannel, grabs an uneven edge... tips it over, spilling tapes. lowers quickly scanning scribbled writing and suddenly gives out a hoot! Fillmore 1971 Santana... Incident... Live!... tucking tape under one arm, with the other quickly scooping everything back into the bin, he dusts off... hurries to the room... holding up the tape to Double H, Lefty and anyone else interested.:

Let's see how much these guys have changed since you last saw them in 1970...

Santana - Incident at Neshabur - LIVE at the Fillmore 1971

YouTube - SANTANA [ INCIDENT AT NESHABUR ] LIVE AT THE FILLMORE.

Now compare how sick the guitar part is 3 years later.... in Japan... got some kinda weird sound and tape warp around 6-7 mins in, but it clears out after a min...

SANTANA [ INCIDENT AT NESHABUR (PART 1 ] LIVE BUDOKAN 1973.

YouTube - SANTANA [ INCIDENT AT NESHABUR (PART 1 ] LIVE BUDOKAN 1973.

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 01-30-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:08 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
lest we forget....thanks my man

Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
lest we forget....thanks my man
Thank YOU for the memories... took me on a natural high just listening to them both :rises from where he was sitting and bows to you all:

Thank you for remembering..

Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellie View Post
~peals of laughter... kindly teases 6 FOOT 3 Sir ... Once we make it out of the 60s and through 20 years of history you will again be our fountain of musical knowledge! ~
LOL.....oh there's many others out there besides myself who are in the know .

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow we have a real thread about real music again. Leave it to my friend 6/3 who knows his music. ...

I still think "Incents and Peppermints" by Strawberry Alarm Clock was the best psychedelic rock song of all time. Best acid rock song of all time? Perhaps "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane though this song is pretty psychedelic too. Maybe this is why White Rabbit is a masterpiece.

Acid rock? Lets see now. I guess in it's earliest days, 1967 Cream seemed to have invented the music now called acid rock. ...

Then came along the long version of "In-a-God-a-Divda" done by Iron Butterfly which brought new highs to the term acid rock and earned millions of new fans.

Acid Rock was born. And like all good rock, it will never die. Ever!

Some top acid rock that comes to mind, at least that I catagorize as acid might be:

Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane,Vanilla Fudge, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Hendrix, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath.......... Steppenwolf. ....

Psychedelic rock / acid rock it's all good. The louder the better.
Desertsun41, ... can you give examples of specific songs by maybe 3 of the groups listed above, to assist us all in "hearing" your point of view....

Thanks for the in-depth history of it all. :-)

Old 01-31-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
...From Robert Crumb to Peter Max, that genre was fascinating to me.
I wish I'd saved all my black light posters--I think my mom got rid of them in a garage sale.
BWP, can you find and post any links (examples of art work) you once lived with... this whole period is fascinating! especially to those of us who missed it. :-)

Old 01-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
My wife lived in Berkeley in 1969, and she's told me about those days. Mention "acid rock" to her and the first thing she thinks of is Santana.
so those in Berkeley (1969) basically followed Santana? Can you share anything else she said about that time period? Thank you for helping to keep that period alive by sharing any story. :-)

Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAtMcCain View Post
BWP, can you find and post any links (examples of art work) you once lived with... this whole period is fascinating! especially to those of us who missed it. :-)
Wolfgang's Vault

Some original posters, including the famous Bob Dylan (scroll down)

Robert Crumb

Peter Max

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM

whoa... beautiful... its kinda embarrassing to see this art work and compare it to present day counter-culture... Milton Glaser work (rainbow hair, black silhouette of Dylan) is very nice.... even Mr. Tambourine Man's script or calligraphy is an art all unto itself.

And to think you got this for free when you purchased an album... you can barely get lyrics free these days no less a poster....

Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM

158 posts, read 515,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
...Some of the most prominent names of the psychedelic rock scene were from San Francisco; Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moby Grape, Country Joe and the Fish, and others. Shortly after that another huge movement went on in Southwest Texas (Austin, Houston)...
DOUBLE H, Many prominent acid rock performers were from the West Coast or Southwest. Was there some special quality or situation in the Western U.S. that made this so? What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music