Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

John said, before Elvis there was nothing. Musically, and if you've ever listened to the 40s music on Sirius or Xm you know what he meant! I almost wish they would separate the 50s station into pre and post Elvis. There is a remarkable difference after Elvis blew open the doors on pop music of that time!!! And that's what John was referring to.

I've been waiting for a post to use that smilie!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
John said, before Elvis there was nothing. Musically, and if you've ever listened to the 40s music on Sirius or Xm you know what he meant! I almost wish they would separate the 50s station into pre and post Elvis. There is a remarkable difference after Elvis blew open the doors on pop music of that time!!! And that's what John was referring to.

I've been waiting for a post to use that smilie!
Well- John wouldn't have heard all the music in the US--or maybe he had. The Soul/Blues/Jazz out of New Orleans and the South was/is powerful but of course 'back then' it wasn't appreciated fully.

Elvis took all that and translated it well, so well.

I'm slow today --I need to be listening to more music--love it, love it, love it.

Thinking of putting on ALW--speaking of artists that speak to me. Michael Crawford --that man has a Voice.

ALW--Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Or maybe I will listen to my country music or something instrumental.

What would you recommend? The Beatles would be good --I'll go look.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM
bjh

Before Elvis, "negro" music was a mainly closeted thing heard mostly live in clubs so John wouldn't have heard it unless he had a "ticket to ride" an airplane to the US, which we all know he was too impecunious to do. I believe John was referring to the mainstreaming affect.

However, there were recordings of black music, which was mainly marketed to blacks and are not something that would have been easy to acquire in the UK. I have heard many of them over the years. Elvis was actually MUCH better than the music from that background. He really did combine black and both black and white gospel and whatever was going on in his own head to create a previously unheard interpretation of pop music.

JOhn and I think Paul too, were inspired by Elvis and other American artists. Remember The Beatles recorded "Baby It's You" by the Shirelles (?). Anyway, the Beatles also certainly made their own contributions as well. It's all good. One thing flows into another. That's one of the great things about art in general and music in particular.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Yes--I'm in Atlanta and can verify that is the truth--see above post.

'Ticket to Ride'--I would have had absolutely no idea that John Lennon was addressing the racial issues of the South--but if that was his intent I am glad he did.

To the song will always mean Think for Yourself and be Progressive and open. Eternally.

Better go find a Beatles CD.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
bjh

Oh, I didn't mean Lennon meant anything racial by that song. The phrase came up in the sentence I was writing and I realized it was also a song title, hence the "..." I thought the song was about a break up with a girlfriend.

I was organizing some stuff in boxes just yesterday and found some of my Beatles Cds. So I know just where to lay my hands on 'em.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Oh, I didn't mean Lennon meant anything racial by that song. The phrase came up in the sentence I was writing and I realized it was also a song title, hence the "..." I thought the song was about a break up with a girlfriend.

I was organizing some stuff in boxes just yesterday and found some of my Beatles Cds. So I know just where to lay my hands on 'em.
'Always on my Mind' --good that we can speak of such things these days.

The 60's were memorable, too memorable.

Living in the South--has its ups and downs. Wish I had been elsewhere if anyone wants to know the truth.

I think you are right--John had a few girlfriends and I think he wrote what he knew/experienced.

LOL.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times
Hey there!

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons to appreciate the Beatles.. lol. I just got on my own little rant about John.. I tend to do that. Thanks for listening :-)

Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Hey there!

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons to appreciate the Beatles.. lol. I just got on my own little rant about John.. I tend to do that. Thanks for listening :-)
Back at ya.

It's a good topic. 'With a Little Help from Our Friends', eh?

Just chillin myself .

Interesting how people analyze.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 AM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times
TakeaHike.. yeah it is very interesting and revealing sometimes.. lol. I probably should've just kept my mouth shut.. oh well.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
TakeaHike.. yeah it is very interesting and revealing sometimes.. lol. I probably should've just kept my mouth shut.. oh well.
Oh please don't keep your mouth shut. Not to get on the soapbox but somewhere people have to be able to speak of 'things', memories, life.

I've got my 70's music on and it is working its magic. Boogie on--

Long Live the Silver Ball

~---`-----~~

Dolly and Kenny--Islands in the Stream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music