U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2007, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,128 posts, read 19,769,195 times
Reputation: 17291

Advertisements

Someone (can't remember who) once said of Jack Kerouac: "That isn't writing. That's just typing."

Eddie Van Halen has always struck me as the musical version of that. On the guitar, he's the best typist in the world, but he ain't no writer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Vermont / NEK
5,657 posts, read 12,053,879 times
Reputation: 7080
Sorry elfyum, I mentioned Jimmy Page awhile back, but let's compromise and add Mark Knopfler. Your list is impressive btw.

Mark, I have to agree with your EVH assessment. Lately, I've been exposed to a lot of Van Halen oldies and tend to cringe when the guitar solo kicks in. I'm sure others will disagree, but the guy is just too much of a technical show off. Sounds like he's in a shop checkin' out a new axe each time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,374 posts, read 40,202,012 times
Reputation: 13181
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Sorry elfyum, I mentioned Jimmy Page awhile back, but let's compromise and add Mark Knopfler. Your list is impressive btw.

Mark, I have to agree with your EVH assessment. Lately, I've been exposed to a lot of Van Halen oldies and tend to cringe when the guitar solo kicks in. I'm sure others will disagree, but the guy is just too much of a technical show off. .
I agree with EVH with the huge exception of his solo on Michael Jackson's "Beat It." He just wails, and there actually seems to be some *emotion* to it.

Mark Knopfler
is one of my favorites; his guitar does everything he talks about in Sultans of Swing: it cries, sings, soars. Not only that; his songwriting is, to my mind, underrated--his humor and insight are matched only by his ability to come up with a fine melody.
We saw him in concert a couple years ago. One of the best I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Vermont / NEK
5,657 posts, read 12,053,879 times
Reputation: 7080
I was thinking the same thing about EVH's Beat It solo, but obviously forgot to mention it. Yeah, it shreds and is quite fitting at the same time. Like I said, I've been exposed to a lot of his material lately and tonight was no exception, as I heard Jump on the oldies station at work. I listened closely to the bridge and I'll give him a pass on this one for holding it together quite well. When his aim is to understate he is a remarkable player. I just can't stand what he does on You Really Got Me. Pure wankery. Give me the Kinks version any day, which I believe featured a young Jimmy Page.

As for Knopfler, the guy can emote with 6 strings as well as anyone I've heard. Tunnel Of Love gets my vote as one of the prettiest, if not most heartfelt solos on the planet.

Also a bit of a surprise that we don't have any David Gilmour nominations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 12:55 AM
 
Location: FL
1,318 posts, read 5,307,149 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Also a bit of a surprise that we don't have any David Gilmour nominations...
Here's one! How could we forgot him & Mark...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Vermont / NEK
5,657 posts, read 12,053,879 times
Reputation: 7080
cil, I was going to post some Zevon data, as I ,too, have always appreciated his music and persona, but here's a great link if you haven't already read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Zevon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 03:01 AM
 
Location: Area 51
44 posts, read 31,741 times
Reputation: 12
Best Guitarist:Bob Ingram from Molly Hatchet
Hell yeah!
http://www.transpecosguitars.com/bobby-ingram.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 09:42 AM
 
8 posts, read 22,622 times
Reputation: 11
Holy Mullet!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,374 posts, read 40,202,012 times
Reputation: 13181
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
cil, I was going to post some Zevon data, as I ,too, have always appreciated his music and persona, but here's a great link if you haven't already read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Zevon
Thanks Square. Appreciate your Zevon interest.
I am a huge fan (saw him live many times) and believe it or not I am not alone, there is a bit of a WZ cult.
You might enjoy this page: Warren Zevon (http://warrenzevon.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=news - broken link)
You may be aware that his former wife, Crystal, has a book coming out:
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 AM
 
Location: a primitive state
9,546 posts, read 19,445,210 times
Reputation: 11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Thanks Square. Appreciate your Zevon interest.
I am a huge fan (saw him live many times) and believe it or not I am not alone, there is a bit of a WZ cult.
You might enjoy this page: Warren Zevon (http://warrenzevon.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=news - broken link)
You may be aware that his former wife, Crystal, has a book coming out:
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon
I saw Warren Zevon perform a couple of times towards the end of his career in Athens. He and some other musicians there were working on something, so he was around pretty frequently. I guess I caught him late, but better than never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top