U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:56 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,397,088 times

Advertisements

Best guitar player is obviously Jimi Hendrix who I am old enough to have seen live in Spokane, Wa. many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 PM
tao

720 posts, read 2,915,786 times
My pick for best guitarist would be a toss up between Jimmy Page and Lindsey Buckingham.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Best bassist of all time, no competition, Les Claypool. Anyone who can slap a fretless six-string bass with that speed, in tune, cannot be a mortal human.

Best lead singer: Tough call, I'd say it's a tie between Shane MacGowan of the Pogues and Gordon Gano of Violent Femmes.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 AM

3,384 posts, read 3,980,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
bass: Victor Wooten (of Bela Fleck) - no one else is even close.
As good as Victor is, he does not hold a candle to Michael Manring or Jaco. Manring is perhaps the most prolific bassist I ever recall hearing.

Guitarist - Tommy Emmanuel, Michael Hedges
Bass - See afore-mentioned Manring
Drummer - Neil Peart, Tommy Aldridge, Carmine Appice

Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schobel View Post
These guys would make the best band ever.

Lead Singer-Jim Morrison (The Doors)
Lead Guitar-Frank Zappa (Mothers Of Invention)
Bass-Jack Bruce (Cream)
Drummer-John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
Keyboardist-Rick Wakeman (Yes)
Good lineup except Frank Zappa couldn't stand Jim Morrison on any level.

Can't forget Robert Fripp (guitar), Tony Levin (bass)

Old 05-31-2007, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,881 times
From the "Should be Included" list:

Female Vocalist: Annie Haslam (Renaissance)
Guitar: Randy California (Spirit, taught by Jimi)
Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown)
Glen Campbell (excellent sober or drunk, a master)
Keyboards: Tony Banks (Genesis in the Gabriel era)
Drums: Bill Bruford (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, etc.)
Michael Shrieve (Santana, etc. check him out at
Woodstock)
Kazoo: Frank Zappa

Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,640,122 times
Default Guitar Favorites

Okay, guys. I am a dinosaur who has seen and heard a lot of great pickers including Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Glen Campbell, Earl Klugh, Brad Paisley, Steve Wariner, Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, Stanley Jordan, Andres Segovia, Django Reinhardt, Jerry Reed, Vince Gill, Jimi Hendrix, Mark Knopfler, Tommy Emmanuel, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, and more. But standing head and shoulders above all the rest is: CHET ATKINS.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 AM

3,384 posts, read 3,980,837 times
Tommy Emmanuel and Chet Atkins = cut from the same cloth

I still love some of the old bluesman players such as Blind Blake or even a John Fahey.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 AM

2,214 posts, read 4,995,171 times
Best Lead Singer: Steve Perry from Journey (yes I 'm a huge fan of his voice...LOL) but I also adore Neil Fallon of Clutch (very different kind of vocal for a rock band), Glen Danzig (when he's NOT singing live because he tends to fall apart), and Ian Astbury of The Cult. Incidentally, Ian Astbury sings w/ the Doors sometimes and I think he's a worthy replacement for Jim Morrison.

Best Lead Guitar-J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr (love the TONE of this guy. But my favorite guitarists of all time-I don't consider them 'lead' since they aren't in a band-are Junior Brown, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix, and Chris Whitley.

Bass-Les Claypool of Primus (can't be beat, in my opinion) but other greats are Flea from RHCP and in the 'upright bass' department it's tough to beat Lee Rocker or Jimbo from The Reverend Horton Heat

Drummer-first one that comes to mind is Neal Peart from Rush. I am not a huge fan of the band but I will always be amazed by the drums. I also love John Bonham, Ginger Baker, and of course Tool's great Danny Carey.

Keyboardist- I hate to be a flake but I just am not a fan of the keyboards. There are lots of great serviceable musicians but I couldnt narrow it down really, I don't think.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:06 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Best Guitarist = Buckethead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or