Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,452,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Jim Morrison didn't have a good voice, was not a musical talent; just got drunk and sang some good songs. He was as good a singer as Jimi Hendrix, who admittedly had a bad voice; but amazing fingers.
He was actually an extremely talented poet and writer, who found alcohol and drugs in college. Met some guys with like interests in class and they put music to poetry. I disagree, he was truely gifted .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:05 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I guess 27 was not a very lucky number for some rock musicians. Wow, I'm glad I made it past 27, even though I drank a lot of coffee and Coke back then... No, not that kind of Coke, the soda pop kind! Although I tried to snort coke one time, but the carbonation in it kept hurtin' my nose!
WOW.....That must had been be one heck of a FIZZEL rush !!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
[b][color=navy]I guess 27 was not a very lucky number for some rock musicians.

I just remembered another one but don't remember her name and that was the Bassist of the group ''Hole'' who overdosed on Heroine at age ''27'' .........and we know that ''Hole'' was founded by Courtney Love who is the wife of Kurt Colbain. How strange.....

Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 AM

5,794 posts, read 13,885,360 times
Kristen Pfaff was the bassist for Hole. She died at 27 in 1994

Other *notables* in the infamous 27 club include:

bluesman Robert Johnson - 1938
Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones - 1969
Alan Wilson of Canned Heat - 1970
Ron McKernan (Pigpen) of the Grateful Dead - 1973
Dave Alexander of The Stooges - 1974
Peter Ham of Badfinger - 1975
Gary Thain of Uriah Heep - 1975

Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Didn't Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Morrison die within months of each other?

I had barely discovered Alan Wilson when he died. Always liked Canned Heat.
Their album with John Lee Hooker was a favorite of mine. Wilson's death, I believe, was drug-related.

And Pigpen basically missed the 70's (and the rest of the Grateful Dead's long career.) But I think his death was alcohol-related, which, for a 27 year old, is hard to fathom. That's a lot of drinking. I am glad he made it through the Europe '72 tour. That is one of their best albums.

I didn't know that Robert Johnson was in the 27 club.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:19 PM

54,475 posts, read 33,758,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
WOW.....That must had been be one heck of a FIZZEL rush !!
LOL..

One thing I also noticed about Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, their first names start with the letter J.

You also wonder about what they would be doing these days had they not died at a young age.

Jim Morrison - Probably doing Doors revival tours, like what Ray Manzerek and Robbie Krieger are doing now, and I know they have a singer that looks exactly like Jim Morrison. I'm not sure if John Densmore is participating though.

Jimi Hendrix - He'd Probably be a producer.

Janis Joplin - Running her own organic foods, medicines and vitamins company.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
None of those descriptions are far-fetched at all!
Especially Hendrix.
It's weird to think about how much we missed.
But that's reckless youth for you; not everyone makes it out alive.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I always thought it would be cool to see who is the best in these positions so i'll start for those interested.

Best Lead Singer... Steve Perry............Journey
Best Guitarist........ Eddie Van Halen.......Van Halen
Best Bass ............ Steve Harris ...........Iron Maiden
Best Drummer ...... Nearl Peart............. Rush

Thats my favorates....
Best Lead Singer.... that's a difficult one... in terms of range Steve is great but I always loved the lead from Boston... can't think of his name...

Best Guitarist.... Stevie Ray Vaughn. Everyone else is an amateur compared to him...

Best Bass - I'm a huge fan of Flea myself... RHCP He's wild on stage and plays until his fingers bleed...

Best Drummer... Okay, most people probably are going to laugh at this but... I really like Phil Collins when he plays drums for Eric Clapton, Bruce Hornsby, and even Don Henley (who knows how to play the drums). If you concentrate on the percussion it's distinct and complex. You have to be great to play with those guys... right?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:35 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,667,467 times
Lead singer.....Paul Rodgers , Steve Perry or Brad Delp(RIP)
Guitarist......... Carlos Santana or Steve Lukather
Bass.............. Chris Squire, Geddy Lee or Flea
Drums............Neil Peart, Tommy Lee, Jeff Pocarro(RIP), David Weckle

Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 AM

218 posts, read 706,409 times
In as interview in the 70s, a DJ asked Jimi Hendrix what it felt like to be the best Guitar Player in the world? and Jimi replied, YOU BETTER GO ASK PHIL KEAGGY, so,,,, I bought some Phil Keaggy stuff like, The Master & the Musician-Jimi wasn't lieing, Phil ROCKS, Christian artist who worships The Lord with his Instrument. A drummer is more than what he can just solo, Like Bonham, it's what a drummer can bring to the WRITING table of the whole art thing. RAZZLE-Nicholas Dingley of Hanoi Rocks... Not just a straight forward 4/4 drummer, he's one who helped succeed good song writing with his dynamic playing. Bass player??- You gotta step outside the box of Heavy Edge Rock to give title to this one, Maybe Geddy Lee, although Sam Yaffa really worked it out with RAZZLE, the T.REX bass player was pretty tight as well...... Now a Singer??? Well, Not Axle Rose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music