Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,294,388 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Indian Thriller with English Lyrics!

YouTube - Indian Superman Part 2

For anyone who has not yet heard of Benny Lava - this is an absolute must (subtitles of what it sounds like they are singing included throughout compliments of Buffalax):

YouTube - Crazy Indian Video... Buffalaxed!

And this video is too cool for words - that open mouth smile and the breakdancing moves always cheer me right up!

YouTube - "Little Superstar"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,771,435 times
Quote:
DontH8Me: For anyone who has not yet heard of Benny Lava - this is an absolute must (subtitles of what it sounds like they are singing included throughout compliments of Buffalax):
YouTube - Crazy Indian Video... Buffalaxed!
That was great -- wanted to reply earlier, but my computer was down! But now it's back!

I had seen some of his video "translations" before, but that was soooo funny! My daughter and I watched together and she was practically hysterical laughing so hard: "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" all scrolling across the screen!

Bollywood just keeps on churning out movies by the ton, and they seem to get a great kick out of it! It's just good fun!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,303,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi,

I happen to love all kinds of music, and one of them is Bollywood music!

Usually, I get a lot of my videos after watching Showbiz India on Saturdays, but I know there has to be a lot more without searching forever.

I'll post some of my favorites, and maybe you can add to this collection, so that I can find more. These are a little bit varied, but they are in order of my favorites. I happen to love Akshay Kumar, and I really like his new comedy, CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA . Interestingly, this is a video from the movie, and the bearded rapper (Bohemia) now lives in Oakland, California.

Anyway, hoping I can find some other Bollywood lovers, and share some music! Thanks!

(I also like regaetton, and maybe if anyone's interested, can start a thread to share those, too. )

In order of my favorites:

On this one, the "real" song starts at about 30 seconds in -- for some reason, I just love this song (maybe it's sexy Akshay! ):

CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA | ORIGINAL VIDEO SONG | FT.AKSHAY & SEXY DEEPIKA PADUKONE with BOHEMIA
YouTube - CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA | ORIGINAL VIDEO SONG | FT.AKSHAY & SEXY DEEPIKA PADUKONE with BOHEMIA

Chutney-Reggaeton: Fito Blanko & D'Hitman - Pretty Girl

YouTube - Chutney-Reggaeton: Fito Blanko & D'Hitman - Pretty Girl

Aai Papi - Kismat Konection
YouTube - Aai papi - Kismat Konection ( High Quality )

Everything's Gonna Be Alright - Jumbo AKSHAY KUMAR

YouTube - Everythings Gonna B Alright - Jumbo AKSHAY KUMAR (HD) Full Song

Haule Haule

YouTube - haule haule(full song)

Ghajini's - Hai Guzarish

YouTube - Ghajini's - Hai Guzarish
That's OK, and actually the first time I've seen Indian music in this way. Didn't realize that the influence and musical style of blacks in this country is now being copied and mimicked by Indians too.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
Alexus: That's OK, and actually the first time I've seen Indian music in this way. Didn't realize that the influence and musical style of blacks in this country is now being copied and mimicked by Indians too.
I thought it was interesting how it's changed from the very old traditional style to more modern stuff. There's plenty of traditonal Indian music, but the younger set is into mixing types of music. The first one (CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA) is a mixture. It's sort of rap, but sort of not (maybe more hip hop) -- it's got a lot of actual "music" in it.

The second one, Chutney Reggaeton, is not black music -- it's actually Latin Caribbean music -- Reggaeton, unfortunately, is misperceived as rap, when it's actually dance music -- probably more akin to disco, of all things! But it's definitely defined as Latin music.

There's tons of the old music around, and I like the fact that they have merged various styles together. I am also into classical music -- I play piano, was trained in voice, and read music -- I'm open to all kinds (except true rap or country music...neither appeal to me). I just found this mixture of cultures and music interesting. I particularly like International music and polyrhythms.

Also, I like the humor -- I think that often South Indians aren't thought of as having a sense of humor -- but they do!

Anyway, I just posted it because I thought maybe more people had heard of this "updated" music from Bollywood. I can listen to Ravi Shankar or any classical music anytime, so this is particularly interesting to me. For some reason, I thought more people might know about it. I just find it fun because it's different. Thanks, folks.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,529,899 times
Ok I took a chance. I attemped to listen to it with an open mind. I have made this grand attempt with wrap and hippity hoppity too to no avail. When something sucks then it just plain sucks despite anyone trying to say otherwise.

It's Indian wrap.

Like Branson said, you live in a country with perhaps the greatest music along with Great Britan and you choose that to tolerate?

I can only give you credit in the fact that you sure do have intestinal fortitude and nerves of steel with Mercury running through your viens.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
desertsun41 : Ok I took a chance. I attemped to listen to it with an open mind. I have made this grand attempt with wrap and hippity hoppity too to no avail. When something sucks then it just plain sucks despite anyone trying to say otherwise.

It's Indian wrap.

Like Branson said, you live in a country with perhaps the greatest music along with Great Britan and you choose that to tolerate?

I can only give you credit in the fact that you sure do have intestinal fortitude and nerves of steel with Mercury running through your viens.
Okay, okay. Listen, I was classically trained -- I have an ear for that, too. I just thought it was amusing and interesting. You have to admit it's quite a departure from the classical Indian music!

It's just for fun. I think it's time to close the thread because I think it's in the wrong place.... Good try. But I still like Mr. Bean doing the Chutney Dance, and I won't go back on that! Haha!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 AM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,465,520 times
This was a great video i saw at an Indian restaurant while eating lunch. The beautiful Aishwarya . There are a couple of others by Shilpa Shetty which i like, but can't recall.

YouTube - Dayya Dayya Dayya re

Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,617,935 times
Funny, I found this thread on google while hunting for videos I saw as a kid. Not that any of the videos above caters to my taste, coz it's pretty much laughable junk

And we Southerners don't speak Hindi at all, so we pretty much can't understand Bollywood, except a few songs which transcend across the realm, we will get there later.

This song is the quintessence of my culture and mother tongue (which are older than what is regularly Indian). It involves sangeetham which hails directly from the sanskrit/saraswati script which is probably 10,000 years old. I learned this kind of singing in my youth, prior to 12 years of age, where they make you sit and sing while tapping on your lap with one hand.

This song is about Lord Krishna and his wife Radha. It's like she recounts her time with Krishna on the banks of the Indian river Yamuna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-uribm60cM&NR=1

Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,617,935 times
If there is any interest in this thread, I'll continue further. I only bring my favourites which have their own little history attached to it

Is Wisteria even around?

By the way, the flute, veena and mridangam used in that song there are just a work of genius

Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,111,588 times
I love Bollywood!

Mehndi Laga Ke Rakhna - DDLJ 1080p - YouTube

Just to clarify, Chutney is Indo-Caribbean/West Indian music.
That one earlier song is mixture of two genres - chutney & reggaeton - but chutney is its own genre (non-latin)

Classic: Sundar Popo - Bolo Ji http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAdkQ1VYN0Q

Rikki Jai - Mor Tor - YouTube.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-19-2013 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music