Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times

Advertisements

The Stone Poneys (feat Linda Ronstadt) - Different Drum (1967) - YouTube

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good - YouTube

Poor Wandering One - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifFedbcHzE

Give her any genre, and I think she would shine, just as she does with these four songs. People denied her singing in the filmed version of "Pirates of Penzance", but she had done it on the stage and went back to the stage. She said that, when she was chosen, a woman told her that, if she continued singing as she did, she might ruin her voice. Ms. Ronstadt said that, before the training she received, she wouldn't have believed what her voice could do. I think she's an amazing performer, and her long list of hits is proof.

BTW: I grew up with Elvis' music. I never owned even a single by him though my sister bought that album with him in the gold suit. I didn't care for his voice after he left early rock 'n' roll/rockabilly, and he looked too slick and greasy to me, so even his "looks"didn't interest me. I recall how deeply shocked friends were when I bailed out of going to the latest Elvis movie (back when I was still in high school and EVERYONE went to EVERY Elvis movie). I told them I'd rather spend my money in the next-door bookstore or on 45s in Janssen's basement. I simply never liked him and still do not care for him. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've posted any of his music here. I even picked Carl Perkins' rendition of "Blue Suede Shoes".

I do agree that Patsy Cline was a true stylist who could have tackled regular pop music. After all, Patti Page had that sort of drawl and was on the edge of country at times. Brenda Lee went from songs that were more pop to doing country-style tunes, not that I would call her a great singer; just a terrific entertainer.

I think Petula Clark could have tackled a wider range of music, too. She had a powerful voice with a lot of control plus great delivery.

I agree with Steve Perry: That is (was?) a phenomenal voice, and it would have been interesting to see what genres he could have had success in. Joe Lynn Turner's voice reminds me of Perry's, as it has that same huskiness and power. I'm not sure he has the range of Steve Perry, but he was chosen to sing with Yngwie Malmstein and Rainbow.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 04-10-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I mean a great singer of Popular Music that has a voice that could even appeal to an Opera lover?

One such voice for me is Patsy Cline. She was a Country gal who sang so well, she just couldnt be put in any one genre but her own.

I also think Elvis had a such a voice.

I mean, there lots of country singers, pop singers, etc. But every once in a while theres a voice that is just so good, it defies boundaries.
I think that you are trying to derive distinctions where distinctions don't exist. Country, R&B, Folk, Rock all are forms of popular music all of which share common origins and all are genres where the required purity of tone isn't anything close to the requirements for operatic vocalization.

Now whether a opera lover would enjoy a pop vocalist, as long as they stayed within popular music, sure but I can't think of a single pop artist who would be successful as a classical singer, and frankly I can't think of a classical singer who would be successful in popular music. God Pavarotti tired to cross over and I've never heard anything nearly as bad.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM

709 posts, read 597,859 times
If Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Seger, Metallica think you are alright^ I do too......

Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 PM

709 posts, read 597,859 times
Sorry....forgot JJ. Up there^ and here.

Jesse James and Kid Rock - YouTube

You'll love these videos with "Dad".....Bob too.

Bob Seger Lock and Load - YouTube

Bob Seger - Real mean bottle (duet Kid Rock) - YouTube

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times
I would have thought that Jeanette MacDonald was incapable of singing anything but operatta songs. Then, I saw her and Ethel Waters in "Cairo" (1942) and was amazed! She sings a whole range of songs, and she was quite able to "deliver the goods". I'd love to see this movie again, and I wish that clips were available of these two ladies performing several numbers. I've seen Ms. MacDonald in many films, not only those in which she co-stars with Nelson Eddy, but I NEVER expected her to be able to sing standards such as "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" without her usual "warbles". I wish that she had had the opportunity to do this sort of singing more, as she has been pigeonholed, just as Nelson Eddy is. I wonder what he would have done with some non-operatta numbers.

I'd also like to have heard Mario Lanza tackle some pop songs without the operatic trappings.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
I would have thought that Jeanette MacDonald was incapable of singing anything but operatta songs. Then, I saw her and Ethel Waters in "Cairo" (1942) and was amazed! She sings a whole range of songs, and she was quite able to "deliver the goods". I'd love to see this movie again, and I wish that clips were available of these two ladies performing several numbers. I've seen Ms. MacDonald in many films, not only those in which she co-stars with Nelson Eddy, but I NEVER expected her to be able to sing standards such as "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" without her usual "warbles". I wish that she had had the opportunity to do this sort of singing more, as she has been pigeonholed, just as Nelson Eddy is. I wonder what he would have done with some non-operatta numbers.

I'd also like to have heard Mario Lanza tackle some pop songs without the operatic trappings.
Wow, Jeanette MacDonald... that's going back some. But she would definitely be one of those rare exceptions. Every rare. But MacDonald had to train hard before launching into opera and remember, pop vocalist of that era tended to have technical purity on tone not required by pop, folk or blues artist post 1950.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,214,998 times
There is many great singers around the world but not so many can change genre between the songs or even midlle of the song.
Some are great singers only at studio and some are also great at live, or even better.

Chisu sings rock,pop and even country, is great at live, can go with her voice to very low or high...And writes all her songs.
I know that you guys dont understand lyrics because of language but just check her voice and singing skills.

Chisu ja Kiira Korpi: Tie. Plan Jäägaala 2012 - YouTube

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM

149 posts, read 343,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I mean a great singer of Popular Music that has a voice that could even appeal to an Opera lover?

One such voice for me is Patsy Cline. She was a Country gal who sang so well, she just couldnt be put in any one genre but her own.

I also think Elvis had a such a voice.

I mean, there lots of country singers, pop singers, etc. But every once in a while theres a voice that is just so good, it defies boundaries.
So true!!!Who else has ever had voices such as theirs,with such ranges yet so smooth.Totally great God given talent that brought joy to so many.Elvis was the total package.Voice,dance and actor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music