Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

"Please don't bore us, get to the chorus"...the Pop credo???

I'm not sure as its usually the first thing you remember because its repeated more than the other parts of the song.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends..." REK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ouch !! I want to argue with you what you said but I cant. There is some truth to it. But is that not what it's always been about? Even in the days with real music in the late 60s through the 70s?

I will never forget what Tommy Shaw from Styx said once during an interview. He said there is one thing he hates is when they call his music "Corporate Rock". And critics also called bands like Boston, Forienger, Kansas and Journey "Corporate Rock". Meaning music just thrown together with catchy choruses with a few catchy gimmicly catchy lyrics.

That's not so bad to me. If a song is good it's good. It gives us the opportunity to identify a great song from a masterpiece of a song. As long as it's not hippity hoppity fruit cake or wrap crap it's all good.
Alice Cooper said Corporate rock wasn't totally bad, but it was for guys who wore Van Huesen Shirts instead of T-Shirts, maybe country has some fans who shop at the Gap

Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Lots of good posts on this thread!
Like Desert Sun41, I'm not a big fan of these guys, nor am I a detractor. They do have talent as they are selling a lot of product, just not my thing.

My Dad was a HUGE Country Western fan. He told me he loved the artists who told stories, like "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. And he loved the artists who weren't known that well known song writing wise but had great voices, like Eddy Arnold and Jim Reeves. But most of all he liked up tempo Texas swing music; Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, and Hank Thompson and the Brazos Valley Boys. To him, those three types is what he looked for in artists.

IMO the Byrds 1968 lp Sweethearts Of The Rodeo started the merge of country and rock music. Even though the Eagles obviously sold more records, some of my favorite groups in this genre would be the Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, and Pure Prairie League.

I LOVE Bazzwell's comparision of the Big Mac! Great!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-05-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

IMO the Byrds 1968 lp Sweethearts Of The Rodeo started the merge of country and rock music. Even though the Eagles obviously sold more records, some of my favorite groups in this genre would be the Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, and Pure Prairie League.

I LOVE Bazzwell's comparision of the Big Mac! Great!
Gram Parsons squeezed country music like he was squeezing lemons for lemonade.

I still wonder what he'd be doing today.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
How would the New riders of the purple sage fit in to that catogory? its been a while since I heard them

Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 PM

They would as far as I'm concerned. I loved their earlier material, especially Gypsy Cowboy, Adventures Of Panama Red, and their live lp, Home, Home On The Road, released in 1974. Another group would be the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Their first lp is my favorite lp from 1973. How can you not love the song that closes out the album-"Chicken Train"? 3 minutes of clucking like a chicken. Life doesn't get any better than that!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,785 times
Default country

Wow you guys are sure bringing up some great artists. I love Gram,the New Riders, Pure Prairie League(before Vince) and the Ozarks. All great groups, way more country IMO then what gets played today. But my absolute fave is Steve Young. Any opinions on him?

Last edited by kathys; 03-06-2009 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Wow you guys are sure bringing up some great artists. I love Gram,the New Riders, Pure Prairie League(before Vince) and the Ozarks. All great groups, way more country IMO then what gets played today. But my absolute fave is Steve Young. Any opinions on him?
No.. other than Gram Parsons I've never heard of the others maybe you can link a few that you really like :-)

Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,785 times
Default steve

I guess you would say Steve would be an aquired tasted. Most people would probably not think he has that great of a voice, but it is unique and fits his character.
He has been around, recording since the late 60s, on various labels including A&M and RCA.Later he did stuff on smaller independent labels Like Rounder, Watermelon, etc.
He is primarly known as a song writer. His style is folk,blues, rock and country influenced, and he is a great guitar player.His voice has become a little rougher with age, but everybody gets old.
His best known song was covered by the Eagles-Seven Bridges Road. Waylon Jennings also covered his Lonesome, On'ry And Mean.
His CDS are quite expensive. Amazon has one for $299.00 right now, which is really crazy. He has a website, and a facebook page, but they are not quite up to date. There are a couple of songs on youtube. There is one form the film Heartworn Highway from 1975, just type i, Steve Young Alabama Highway, and it should come up.
There are a couple of others of him, there are two fairly recent live ones and a nother with just him singing, no video, which is live.
He is very much influential and reverred by a lot of artists in this genre.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Good post Kathys, I forgot about him. Rock Salt and Nails is QUITE good, as is Primal. I always thought of him as singer songwriter, but a fair amount of country people have covered his material. There are quite a few other artists out there that still need to be mentioned as well. $299 for his CD's? Yikes!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-08-2009 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music