U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,470,516 times

Advertisements

I was reading a review about the Bee Gees and how their music changed in 1975 with the release of the Main Course LP which featured R&B and disco rhythms(remember Jive Talking). The review went further about how the Bee Gees became a household word in 1978 with Saturday Night Fever, and how they also became associated with "the emotional vapidity of popular taste and the cultural transference that has taken place over the past few years[say after 75]".

While they never elaborated about what they meant by cultural transference, i assume it meant that the bee Gees were starting to sound like black R&B, and it was probably getting harder to tell apart black bands from white with everything homogenizing into disco

it's something i have always found interesting. As a then naive kid growing up in the disco era, I had no idea Chic was a black band; I always heard LeFreak and I Want Your Love as being instead a white Euro disco band; I thought Boz Scaggs' Lowdown was done by a black artist; when I was 15 in the summer of 77 i went to a dude ranch and was at the bar and there was a group of white singers giving a memorable performance of "Whodunit", a song I later learned was done by Tavares, a black group; for some reason Tavares' version of More Than A Woman struck me as being by a bunch of italian guys than a black band. For some reason when i hear Tavares today or peaches and Herb it doesn't totally come off as black. There are a few Tavares tunes that sound like Climax Blues Band's "Couldn't get It Right" and Bread's "Fancy Dancer".

And i find it interesting to listen to music that kind of spreads across the cultures.

Any ideas, comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music