Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:16 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

/end thread. Preciate that link there my man.

Now to those that dislike hip hop, do you think what he did was easy. Do you think any and everyone could do that. Could you be as creative as him doing that? I bet you the answer is NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
/end thread. Preciate that link there my man.

Now to those that dislike hip hop, do you think what he did was easy. Do you think any and everyone could do that. Could you be as creative as him doing that? I bet you the answer is NO.
When he can do this tell him to come and see us... It's called talent... Not scratching..

YouTube - Steffen Schackinger - City Lights - www.candyrat.com

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM

It would even be better if he could do this... TALENT....

YouTube - ECHO BOOGIE

YouTube - Hello Mary Lou

Last edited by Houston3; 04-06-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM

This 7 year old fiddler has more talent than the scratcher does....

YouTube - 7 Year Old Fiddler Laura Watson Part 2

Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Music is called music when the person does not have to wear hearing aids due to the loud blasting.

Give them time...they will have hearing problems in the near future.
You should try to be more ignorant and close-minded. I bet you can do it.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So you are telling me that grabbing a record and wiggling it back and forth is of the utmost talent? That identical motion pretty much imitates an instinctive solo sexual motion that men are born with. How on earth can you say few can master it? And to harp on that even more, wrappers simulate that act on stage, problem is they cant find it through those pants made by Omar the tent maker.

Come on. Dig down deep into your soul. Give me an honest answer. Jiggling a record so the needle scratches the grooves is an art few can master? I can do more damage punching the record and that takes no skill whats so ever. It even makes a more pleasent sound too. It shuts it up.

Whataya gona do when no more records are available to scratch up? You know they stopped producing LPs in about 1979. They will run out some day. I still see lots of real old LPs in yard sales and such so wraps end has a little time still.

And if I didn't know what I was talking about then I would shut up. Honest.
It seems like you get a kick out of baiting rap fans. But they still make records today. You probably know that.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Houston3...I think the litle girl is cute and may have a good future with the violin.

I play one also and know it takes some talent with the help of a ear for music.

Steve B

Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
You don't get to have "different opinions" about what music is, just like you dont get to have an opinion about what a light bulb or or an elephant or Norway are. Music is:

mu⋅sic

–noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

I bolded "and", because if a form does not have all four of those elements, it is not "music".

If you want to include car alarms and dogs barking in the category of music, go ahead and put rap in there, too. But you are not convincing.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Houston3...I think the litle girl is cute and may have a good future with the violin.

I play one also and know it takes some talent with the help of a ear for music.

Steve B
I've always heard that the violin is very hard to learn because there are no frets.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times
I guess I'd have to go back to the OP to see if the intent was to define music or to just give rap it's worth as an artistic experience. I mean the truth is, what is the difference, who really cares whether we can attribute the term, 'music' to rap or not. If you like it, good. Listen to it and have a ball. If not, don't, but either way live and let live. I think I already said that I was still in my teens when rap came out and I did like some of it. But for me it's not in the same league as jazz, rock, standards, etc, as an artistic experience. I am also a big fan of the written and 'spoken' word. But when I want to listen to "music" (never did I think the use of the word would be so tenuous), I want to hear instruments played expertly and creatively. I want melody lines and lyrics that seem to have always existed in the heavens, until some blessed medium lassoed them from the skies, and I want prodigious singers, the kind that can do what very few of us can. But that's just me, I'm sure it's not most of you. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music