Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,715,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
One could dance to a flushing toilet but it still isn't music.
I LOVE IT!!!! Great analogy Houston3!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 AM

20,510 posts, read 33,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I recall listening to some music when some posters dad was a twinkle in his grandfathers eye. Now in those days a person could understand some of the lyrics and the music tones. Today with the scratrching record sounds reminds me of my mother cutting the throat of a live chicken to be cooked for sunday dinner.

Like I said...NO biggee for me...at least I prefer to understand what is being said in respectable ENGLISH.

Steve
Than this form of music is not for you. But make no mistake, this is music. But that it's more bold, confronting, competitive, many times relaxing and soothing, but often times thoughful and energetic, in your face, and aggressive. You can make a song by freestyling (or coming off from your head without writing it at all whatsoever) or you can battle somebody else. That is Hip Hop. It is a voice for our community. It was another way to get our messages out to the rest of the world. Some of it provides melody, some of it doesn't. I can provide examples if you like. No, they aren't singing but you can understand them and it does make you think.

Basically, don't judge the entire genre off of what you heard on the radio or listen on tv over the past 5-7 years. It's not the best it has to offer and it does a great disservice. Now underground is a different story. That's where the best talent lies. The record companies shut them out for obvious reasons but that's another subject. Make no mistake, most of the older hip hop fans do not like the music that's in the mainstream nowadays anyway.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
One could dance to a flushing toilet but it still isn't music.
Terrible analogy. Get over it. The younger generation prefers this type of music and it's music whether you like it or not. I don't care to go into any rock threads or country threads and say any negativity about it. I don't like it so I don't touch the threads. Wish the same could be said about the people that do not like hip hop though.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 AM

9,761 posts, read 3,412,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Terrible analogy. Get over it. The younger generation prefers this type of music and it's music whether you like it or not. I don't care to go into any rock threads or country threads and say any negativity about it. I don't like it so I don't touch the threads. Wish the same could be said about the people that do not like hip hop though.
Exactly

I think peep should focus more on where their *hate* comes from than focus on where people's passion for music lies.
I mean.. most on this thread are not having a respectful discussion about the genre.. they're just bashing it and the people who enjoy it.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You want peoples opinions, good or bad, and that is what you are getting. Sorry if you don't like it, but this is a forum, not a democracy.

And I thought it was a GREAT analogy!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM

9,761 posts, read 3,412,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
You want peoples opinions, good or bad, and that is what you are getting. Sorry if you don't like it, but this is a forum, not a democracy.

Eh.. yeah opinions not rudeness.. hate.. disrespect.. but whatever to each his/her own.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post

Of course you think it was great. Because you hate hip hop. So your bias is actually showing. It's another thing to give your opinion and than leave it at that. But when you bring it up constantly and than resort to bashing the people that listen to it plus make generalizations about the genre and it's lifestyle without knowing the full details, than it goes beyond having an opinion. That's bias hating. There's a difference. I don't care if you have the opinion just as long as you keep it on the level that you know what the genre is about.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Of course you think it was great. Because you hate hip hop. So your bias is actually showing. It's another thing to give your opinion and than leave it at that. But when you bring it up constantly and than resort to bashing the people that listen to it plus make generalizations about the genre and it's lifestyle without knowing the full details, than it goes beyond having an opinion. That's bias hating. There's a difference. I don't care if you have the opinion just as long as you keep it on the level that you know what the genre is about.
It's not bias hating. I posted this opinion, and I watched the thread to see if there were anymore opinions. We are allowed to post in a thread more than once, its not called "hating", it's called "disagreeing"- two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Eh.. yeah opinions not rudeness.. hate.. disrespect.. but whatever to each his/her own.
rudeness.. hate.. disrespect.. - for music? Now if we were talking about a person, some opinions could be "rudeness.. hate.. disrespect.. ", but a genre, no, it's an opinion that I don't like it, and I don't like when people play it loud in their cars, forcing us to listen to it.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,221,850 times
Quote:
"People who say rap is NOT music" <<< is the topic of this thread....That opens it to any point of view..

A country song just for you...

YouTube - Hank Williams - Honky Tonkin'

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
"People who say rap is NOT music" <<< is the topic of this thread....That opens it to any point of view..
That's right!!! We are people who DON'T think rap is music, so that's invites us in. Otherwise, if this thread was just for people who liked rap music, we wouldn't post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music