Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,215 times

Advertisements

[quote=Suncoast Guy;8255086]
PEOPLE: This is pointless. If you like rap music, you will defend it to the death.

Well I like rap but with the crap from Atlanta they play on the radio now a days im not defending anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
It is a reflection on what they are listening too. If they have been listening to rap for all their lives, and they see these artists that they absolutely love doing drugs, and drinking DayQuil, and all of this stuff, then they think "Oh, it's OK to do it because so and so does it, and he's a star". The music that people listen to overall effects their thinking, more so with kids. Heavy Metal may be noise as well and may be really bad to listen to, but it doesn't have all the bad side effects that rap does.
Quote:
I didn't say only rappers get arrested, I said that rappers are the top people in the music chain to get arrested.

PEOPLE: This is pointless. If you like rap music, you will defend it to the death. If you listen to music that talks about sex, drugs, violence, it becomes second nature, and as far as you GDK94, you can believe whatever you want, but I'm telling you that this music influences KIDS to do this type of stuff when all they hear is sex, drugs, and violence.
i feel sorry for all these poor stupid children who don't have parents at home to raise them so they get all their lessons from Soulja Boy telling them to "superman a ho" i won't defend stupid music. If I listen to it and the lyrics don't make sense - then I'll say that was stupid. When it comes to rap, I only have a handful that I can say I actually like - the posterboys of rap these days :Lil Wayne, DJ Khaled, Soulja Boy, etc would not be included in that handful. BUT since I grew up with rap music I know there are some good songs - songs that just make you wanna dance - songs that remind you of skating at the roller rink when you were a kid - songs about liking a boy - songs that make you wanna dance (hey I'm from the south) so i will defend things that I like.

If kids are that impressionable then they should probably never go to school or leave the house because pressure from peers is way worse than any song you'll hear from rap and its much more dangerous because listening to a rapper talking about getting high won't actually get you high but hanging around with a group of kids who get high probably will.

Again when it comes to the bad influence on kids thing people who complain about rap ruining their kids need to be honest and say "I DISLIKE RAP BECAUSE IT HAS MORE CONTROL OVER MY CHILD THEN I DO. I HAVE BEN TOO BUSY DOING SOMETHING ELSE TO ACTUALLY PARENT MY CHILD AND INSTILL VALUES AND MORALS THAT I FEEL ARE IMPORTANT SO THEY TURNED TO RAP MUSIC AND NOW MY CHILD LISTENS TO 50 CENT INSTEAD OF ME."

Oh but since you brought the "rappers are always getting into trouble" argument please make sure you also ban:

Ray Charles - drug abuse
The Temptations - drug/alcohol abuse and domestic violence
Chuck Berry - car jacking and statutory rape
Etta James - drug abuse
James Brown - domestic violence
Nirvana - drug abuse
Janis Joplin - drug abuse
The Teenagers (although I do love "Why Do Fools Fall In Love") drug abuse
Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Smashing Pumpkins, Grateful Dead, Elvis Presley...

The list really does go on and on. Let's not pretend that entertainers used to have really high moral character until rap came about.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM

620 posts, read 1,771,819 times
Quote:
Let me rephrase: 98% will defend it to the death. Is that better for you?
Sure.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
Rap music of today is no different than classic and hard rock of the 70's and 80's. Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Poison, Def Leppard, Rolling Stones...all those bands talked about was screwing chicks.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Rap music of today is no different than classic and hard rock of the 70's and 80's. Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Poison, Def Leppard, Rolling Stones...all those bands talked about was screwing chicks.
Eh, that's not all they talked about, and when they did, they usually didn't talk about in the coarsest, crassest, most vulgar and debasing manner possible.

Rolling Stones only sang about screwing chicks? Have you ever actually listened to the Stones? And when did Led Zeppelin ever talk about "screwing chicks"? About the most provocative lyrics I can think of from Zeppelin is "squeeze my lemon 'til the juice runs down my leg." I can see how one might put such lyrics on the same plane as "I grabbed the stupid **tch by her nappy-ass weave" and "ain't no p**sy good enough to get burned while I'm up in it."

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You continue to make ignorant posts about this subject. Nobody goes to rap concerts? Yeah, ok. Is this why in Washington DC, they always sell out whenever they play at Verizon Center or Constitution Hall. Or in Dallas, they sell out in Smirnoff Center or AAC. Or in Houston, the Toyota Center. If Jay Z, NAS, Snoop, Eminem, and more held a concert at Reliant Stadium, it would sell out in a matter of days if not hours.

You also prove once again that you don't know what you're talking about. Oh and BTW, rap artists do countless live shows. There are a few every week in every major city.
You confuse me saying I continue to make ingnorant posts. If you were just a tad smarter then you would realize the extreme intelligence of which I speak. It must suck to not realize that but at least know you know.

Sooooooo whataya talkin......maybe a dozen wrap concerts a year? I wonder what the security tab adds up to at a wrap show. I do know security confiscates quite an arsenal of guns from attending fans. I know your much too young to know the good days but like I said before, when a rock band toured they played 300 shows per year every year. Few wrap groups tour but for a dozen shows.

The top producing wrap band of 2008 was: are you ready for this? I should not even say it because it will embarrass you and the useles argument you are trying to make. Ok here goes. The top grossing wrap tour of 2008 was a little fruit cake name some kooky made up name lil wayne. And the grand total was $50 million. What a useless waste of human flesh that is huh.

Sounds like a nice big number but when you look at rock bands, now keep in mind these rock bands are all in their 50s and 60s now still singing and selling out massive sized arenas. You are talkin from $120 million up to $200 million per tour. Take that wrappers.

So there ya have it. Simple pure facts that is not my opinion or anyones opinion. They are simply facts.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM

567 posts, read 1,445,685 times
the way i see it is like this; if you don't want your kids listening to provocative music then bye them censored cd's or either don't let them listen to rap, period. as for adults, im surprised they would complain about cursing.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 PM

567 posts, read 1,445,685 times
desertsun41, yes your posts are extremely ignorant and unintelligent. i mean, how can anyone take you seriously about "wrap" and you can't even spell it?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Ok lets take that one.

Rock bands only talked about screwing huh? Well lets see. Mama's got a squeeze box and Daddy never sleeps at night. She's got legs and knows how to use them. She's so fine. Run to you. All night long. Love to love you baby. It's raining men. Push push in the bush. Lets put the X in sex. Take the L out of Lover and it's over. Daddy dont preach. I want you to want me. Pour some sugar on me............... thousands more but they all have one thing in common. They dont have to be censored to be played on the radio. They are good clean music with a gimicky sexual inuendo.

Robert Plant, Mick Jaggar, Steven Tyler, Joe Elliot and Brett Michaels all suggest you go back to the drawing board. They are the lead singers you mentioned who sing nothing but screw songs.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:12 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You confuse me saying I continue to make ingnorant posts. If you were just a tad smarter then you would realize the extreme intelligence of which I speak. It must suck to not realize that but at least know you know.
Contrary to your belief. I am very smart and very intelligent and yes you continue to make ignorant posts. If there was a similar thread about music that you love and I went in there spouting ignorant stuff about it w/o having any full knowledge of the entire genre myself, that would be ignorant. But I don't do that. Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
Sooooooo whataya talkin......maybe a dozen wrap concerts a year? I wonder what the security tab adds up to at a wrap show. I do know security confiscates quite an arsenal of guns from attending fans. I know your much too young to know the good days but like I said before, when a rock band toured they played 300 shows per year every year. Few wrap groups tour but for a dozen shows.
How about several dozen concerts a year. Any large city with a large minority population will have several dozen concerts a year ranging from regular concerts to very large planned parties. BTW, there are some artists that do 30 cities for tours a year and than go overseas and sell out there. Oh and guess what, I'm sure security confiscates quite a great number of alcohol at rock concerts.

Quote:
The top producing wrap band of 2008 was: are you ready for this? I should not even say it because it will embarrass you and the useles argument you are trying to make. Ok here goes. The top grossing wrap tour of 2008 was a little fruit cake name some kooky made up name lil wayne. And the grand total was $50 million. What a useless waste of human flesh that is huh.
First of all, the only person embarrassing itself is you. Lil Wayne? I could care less. I don't even like him and many hip hop fans over the age of 25 do not care for him either. But I won't knock his hustle but where are you going with that last part of your post? Not necessary.

Quote:
Sounds like a nice big number but when you look at rock bands, now keep in mind these rock bands are all in their 50s and 60s now still singing and selling out massive sized arenas. You are talkin from $120 million up to $200 million per tour. Take that wrappers.
Congratulations to them. But I could not care less what they make. Are you getting a dime from any of them? Exactly.

Quote:
So there ya have it. Simple pure facts that is not my opinion or anyones opinion. They are simply facts.
Facts that are irrelevant to this thread, to me, and to anyone that loves whatever music they love. I only responded to your post because you stated that nobody attends rap concerts and that is patently false. I don't care how much money they make. I care about the skills they have and how they use it. I care about the lyrics, the production, the flow, and the content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music