Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eastcoast Rap or WestCoast Rap Which is better?
EastCoast 130 61.90%
WestCoast 80 38.10%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
West Coast rap makes my ears bleed.

Southern rap is the most popular (and most ghetto + most entertaining) but east coast rap is more refined, if that makes sense.
The most "ghetto" rap is by far the west coast not the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
man, now i think you're just hating on MF Doom. Lighten up and grow a sense of humor or something...and i'm not much of a fan of him or anything.

As far as Jay-Z goes i think he's overrated as hell too, but a pretty good rapper at the same time.

What's funny though is you keep talking crap about backpackers, and then you recommend Jedi Mind Tricks. You know who 80% of Jedi Mind Tricks' fans are? Backpackers.
hate is the correct word as he is complete utter trash.
jedi mind tricks may be liked by "80%" of backpacker nerds but i dont base the quality of music on what group of people listen to them. i know for a fact that JMT >>> anything mf doom has ever or will ever create. stoupe's production is also better, and fat ass vinnie paz has put out much better material than lame doom. (though i will admit its getting kind of played out now and jmt was much better like 10 yrs ago)

and jay-z being overrated is something of the result of group think.. most people who make say that have no basis for their claims. i don't think he's the best ever by any stretch of the imagination but the last 10 years nobody's been close to him. by far some of the wittiest things ever said in rap have come out of his camel mouth.
but yea, for the record... mf doom= garbage.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
hate is the correct word as he is complete utter trash.
jedi mind tricks may be liked by "80%" of backpacker nerds but i dont base the quality of music on what group of people listen to them. i know for a fact that JMT >>> anything mf doom has ever or will ever create. stoupe's production is also better, and fat ass vinnie paz has put out much better material than lame doom. (though i will admit its getting kind of played out now and jmt was much better like 10 yrs ago)

and jay-z being overrated is something of the result of group think.. most people who make say that have no basis for their claims. i don't think he's the best ever by any stretch of the imagination but the last 10 years nobody's been close to him. by far some of the wittiest things ever said in rap have come out of his camel mouth.
but yea, for the record... mf doom= garbage.
+1, Lmao @ "out of his camel mouth".

Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:

and jay-z being overrated is something of the result of group think.. most people who make say that have no basis for their claims. i don't think he's the best ever by any stretch of the imagination but the last 10 years nobody's been close to him.
I definitely have basis for my claims regarding Jay-Z...formed on my own, with no "group think" involved. I bought reasonable doubt and Hardknock Life when they came out, and listened to them countless times. I've been very aware of his stuff through the massive radio play he's gotten over the past decade too. His new stuff, while mostly good in my opinion, doesn't compare to alot of his old stuff, and in addition the amount of followers he has for his talent-level is staggering (he's nothing that special). He is a good rapper...good lyrics, good flow, but to say that NO other rapper in the past 10 years has been close to Jay-Z is pretty ridiculous. You're either a giant Jay-Z fan boy, you need to listen to more music, or you equate ultimate skill with the amount of money one makes (Jay-Z is one rich ass, famous ass dude these days..no hip-hop artist can touch him when it comes to stacks of cash, probably).

Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
then i agree with you sir, kingdom come as an album was trash.

YouTube - Uncommon Valor - Jedi Mind Tricks 2006

yall wanna hear what a good flow sounds like (which is the opposite of garbage mf doom)
listen to the second verse on this song, starts at 1:34
LOL Jedi Mind Tricks....Celph Titled....Nonphixion.....Immortal Technique...Dilated Peoples....all wack beyond comprehension.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
LOL Jedi Mind Tricks....Celph Titled....Nonphixion.....Immortal Technique...Dilated Peoples....all wack beyond comprehension.

says the man that listens to mf doom who sounds like he has a phallus lodged in his mouth while rapping
"great googly moogly, what a loogy, keep it on the dl hughley"
^LMAO, wtf is that garbage

you are the weakest link.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I definitely have basis for my claims regarding Jay-Z...formed on my own, with no "group think" involved. I bought reasonable doubt and Hardknock Life when they came out, and listened to them countless times. I've been very aware of his stuff through the massive radio play he's gotten over the past decade too. His new stuff, while mostly good in my opinion, doesn't compare to alot of his old stuff, and in addition the amount of followers he has for his talent-level is staggering (he's nothing that special). He is a good rapper...good lyrics, good flow, but to say that NO other rapper in the past 10 years has been close to Jay-Z is pretty ridiculous. You're either a giant Jay-Z fan boy, you need to listen to more music, or you equate ultimate skill with the amount of money one makes (Jay-Z is one rich ass, famous ass dude these days..no hip-hop artist can touch him when it comes to stacks of cash, probably).
uh, who doesn't that apply to(in bold)? is nas's new music as good as his first? scarface? snoop? eminem? mobb deep? ice cube? was nas' hip hop is dead equally good as illmatic or it was written? pointless and obvious observation.

if im wrong name 1 rapper who's been as consistent as jayz since he dropped the blueprint in 01 or whatever.. definitely not nas, and people sweat him like he's the greatest thing ever. andre 3000 is another clown who people sweat for some reason, yet all he is, is 1/2 of outkast and his solo work is gay.. id say literally gay, wearing pink bell bottoms and glitter dressing up like pocahontas, singing.
like i said before, jay-z isn't one of my favorite artists but u cant deny this dude... he's been the most copied artist of the last decade and the most influential hands down.. he has a different delivery for like every song he makes, from "my first song" to "run this town", u see him reinventing the way he rhymes.
and i aint even mention his lyrics, which speak for themselves

"I father, I Brooklyn Dodger them
I Jack, I Rob, I Sin
Amen
I'm Jackie Robinson
'cept when I run base
I dodge the pen"

^disgusting. lol tell me who's rhyme schemes are even remotely as complex as jay-z's man... double even triple entendres in a matter of lines. rappers on some corny punchline sht, jayz's been goin over dude's heads for years now. YEARS, n ppl wanna tell me he's "average" lol.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Vast Aire fell off but he has better word play than Jay.

"I rest my head on 115th
But miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean
And death is the median
And purgatory is the mode that we settle in"

Jay-z gets by on swagger alone.

YouTube - Cannibal Ox- Iron Galaxy

Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 AM

^lol no he doesnt. the lines u quoted at best has that play on words regarding the "miracle on 34th street"
jay-z has a double entendre along with the play on words.
"I Jack, I Rob, I Sin
I'm Jackie Robinson
'cept when I run base
I dodge the pen"
just in these 2 lines alone... thats a witty ass mother fer... and he dont write his stuff... its fken crazy

here's another

"Get your weight up
not your hate up
***** man is diesel
when i lift the eight up"

^off "Breathe Easy"... if u dont know how nasty those 2 lines are, then this discussion isnt worth having.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
On the other hand, Biggie's dark G-Funk style and haunting imagery were so much better than Pac's that it isn't even funny.

And I do say one thing. Tupac spoke a lot about equality and all that and treating women right, but really most of his stuff was your typical misogynistic gangsta rap. Hell, wasn't he even accused of sexual assault at one point? See, he sang about one thing, but he actually acted like another. Biggie Smalls never rapped about anything he wasn't. He loved women, he loved blunts, he loved Lexuses and Benzes the fly way, and that's what he sang about. He didn't try to pose or be anything he wasn't.

Although of course there are those who say that he wasn't legit thug or that he sent people to kill Pac and then bragged about it in "Who Shot Ya" only Pac didn't die. I don't know about that, and I don't think we ever will. But yeah, Biggie Smalls for the win.
This is BS. Pac rapped about ghetto life and being a thug b/c he was living that lifestyle and grew up dirt poor in projects with a crack-addicted mother. And he was accurate in what he claimed and new better than to claim to be a gang member when he wasn't, unlike posers nowadays like Lil Wayne.

Biggie rapped about being a "don" and told fairytales of being a mafia member and always made things out like he came from as rough and real a background as Pac did, when in actuality he didn't really come from Bed-Stuy (he came from Clinton Hill, an adjacent neighborhood) and he went to a private school. BIG posed as a legit thug when he was far from it, while Pac backed up the things he said. That's why so many people were feeling what Pac had to say; cause it was real. You got the two of them backwards in your assessment.

Pac was originally on more of a black power tip than anything else and rapped about everything he felt strongly about. But you're forgetting that "I Get Around" was on the same album as "Keep Ya Head Up." He was never faking anything. He always loved running through women, but that didn't mean he had no respect for all women.

Growing up, Pac tried to stay out of the trouble that surrounded him for the most part b/c he was an exceptionally smart dude. But that was the lifestyle he was raised around, so it was always in him. He just favored revolution seeing as he grew up around Black Panthers. But eventually he began to descend more and more into that thuggish lifestyle and he became darker and more disturbed. So his material changed as his career progressed. There was a lot more to him than there was to Biggie. Biggie completely chose to engage in crime and emulate that lifestyle, while Pac tried to avoid it and eventually succumbed to it.

And Pac's accusation was more bogus than Kobe's was. He didn't rape anybody. He never would have needed to. If anything Biggie would've probably had to if he couldn't rap b/c there's no way that heavy-breathing, cockeyed, fat lump would've been able to pull any females otherwise. And how do you figure Biggie's style was "G-funk" at all? G-funk is a West Coast concept, and it is far from what Biggie did.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked Biggie too. But when it comes to who was real and who was fake out of them two, Pac was the reality and Biggie was the fantasy.

Quote:
Well, we have no way of knowing that! But yeah, that's why I also said that Biggie was better for form, whereas Pac was better for content.
This I'll agree with.

Quote:
And really both of them had considerable content of life in the ghetto, etc. etc. In fact if you really wanna get technical about it, we can't even be too sure of what either of their lives were like growing up, so we don't really know if everything Pac spoke about was a fact or fiction.
But we know that much of what Biggie spoke about WAS fiction. Dude was a poser who had a cushy upbringing compared to Pac's.

Quote:
I just hate how the two fo them used to be good friends and ended up bitter enemies. With Pac's lyrics and Biggie's style, they could have been like the greatest rap duo of all time. OF ALL TIME.
Agreed.

Last edited by jman650; 02-20-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music