U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Eastcoast Rap or WestCoast Rap Which is better?
EastCoast 126 61.46%
WestCoast 79 38.54%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,451,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonceltz View Post
Why is this even a question?
Because its asking which one we all individually like better. Its subjective. Why is THIS even a question for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGurl View Post
If east coast includes southern rap, then east coast all the way.
Sure, why not. Let's just have this be "which side of the Mississippi has better rappers?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Maybe I should have said that Pac had a lot of less than inspiring material instead of saying it was trash. Every artist will have a few weak songs on their albums but if you compare BIG's relatively small body of work (2 albums and numerous guest appearances), it's amazing that he is even considered as one of the greatest MC's of all time.
I get what you're saying here, but the exact same thing could be said about a ton of other artists if their entire careers were only two albums long. Look at the first two albums that were dropped by DMX or Bone. Look at Nas's first two albums, or Wu-Tang's. Most artists come out hardest on their first couple albums but then falter after a while, as I'm sure Biggie would have seeing as Bad Boy has never seemed to be able to produce anything hot beyond album number 2 for any of its artists (at least that I can recall). DMX came out so hard at first and then completely fell off. And Wu Tang made a ton of garbage after starting out with so much quality. Biggie was very likely to begin to suck sooner or later just based on probability, but after seeing Bad Boy's track record over the years there's no way he would have kept coming as hard as he did in his first two albums.

Pac got better over time, and has so much quality that he can bury BIG's work 10 times over. I can burn disk after disk of random Pac music that I'll bump that is quality. BIG might have a higher ratio of quality tracks to garbage tracks than Pac has, but Pac has too much great material to even fixate on whatever was less than classic. And I'd take "All Eyes On Me" and "The Don Killuminati" over "Life After Death" and "Ready To Die" any day of the week.

But if you wanna talk about who's been the most impressive in their career with the highest percentage of quality on their albums I think its Dre, hands down. His material has all been classic and he's done it over 20+ years. His quantity is low, but his quality is off the charts.

Last edited by jman650; 02-20-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Ready to Die best rap album of all-time. Life After Death is a step down but it's still a classic.
LOL, no. Its up there, but no, sorry. The Chronic, Illmatic, Enter The 36 Chambers and plenty of others still rank above Ready To Die for me and many other people.

Quote:
Pac had a lot of great material and a near-classic (Me Against the World), but Biggie has the greater quality over quantity.
LOL @ "a near-classic." Please. At least give the man his due, even if you are biased. And Me Against The World was neither his best nor his only classic album.

Last edited by jman650; 02-20-2010 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,482,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
On the other hand, Biggie's dark G-Funk style and haunting imagery were so much better than Pac's that it isn't even funny.
LMAOOO @ big's "g-funk style".... what the hell are you talking about? thats like sayin "snoop's gritty/grimey style" lol. you got ur stuff mixed up, g-funk is an exclusive L.A sound, warren G, snoop.. those artists are "g funk" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
And I do say one thing. Tupac spoke a lot about equality and all that and treating women right, but really most of his stuff was your typical misogynistic gangsta rap. Hell, wasn't he even accused of sexual assault at one point? See, he sang about one thing, but he actually acted like another. Biggie Smalls never rapped about anything he wasn't. He loved women, he loved blunts, he loved Lexuses and Benzes the fly way, and that's what he sang about. He didn't try to pose or be anything he wasn't.
aaaaaaaaaahahahahahah
so you really think BIG was a killer right? he was out shooting people and selling "keys" of coke just shortly before he signed with puff? lol you're delusional. big lived at his mom's house and sold crack in bedstuy.. thats it... Big, like all rappers exaggerate things in their lyrics. haha this dude's dumb as hell. i bet you think the story in "warning" really happend lol

Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Apparently you are one of the few people to feel that way. Pac's music was very inspiring, more so than big. There are college courses on tupac lol, not big.
Exactly! He was a way more complex and interesting person, and his music touched many, many people. UC Berkeley and Harvard have both had courses based on Pac. A class on Biggie would be limited to wordplay and metaphors. Talk about uninspiring lol.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
ready to die the same album which copied concepts from an already classic album "The Diary" by scarface... no thanks...

tupac was a much more versatile rapper than big was, and id say the most versatile rapper ever. people wana throw out corny cliches like "big and nas are better lyrically than pac"... okkkkkkkkkk... neither covered the range of topics that pac did.. and if pac was so "weak" lyrically how do u explain the whoring he gave big on hit 'em up that got nothing but lame subliminals as a response..

and big pun > big
+1 I'd rep ya again if I could.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM

5,344 posts, read 5,289,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
In 90's the West Coast was better than the East Coast but now it's back in it's original spot, now the south is the best (not in my opinion but it has a lot of rappers coming out of)

The west was better in the 90's???????????????????

Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Big, Big L, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots.

Nuff said. East all day. In any decade.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 PM

^Death Row mid 90's had the best roster of any label in rap, period
from 90-96 the west coast dominated rap

"I'm sittin in the crib dreamin about Leer jets and coupes, the way salt shoops and how to sell records like Snoop"

"it's like new york's been soft ever since Snoop came through and crushed the buildings"

not to mention the west coast changed everything with gangsta rap when 90% of new york rappers in the mid-late 80's were rappin about some cornball sht like "hip hop hippity hip hop funk flash master of disaster spinning rhyme wizard i am a microphone genie electrocuting wack mc's" lol

Old 02-20-2010, 09:30 PM

7,602 posts, read 8,765,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
^Death Row mid 90's had the best roster of any label in rap, period
from 90-96 the west coast dominated rap

"I'm sittin in the crib dreamin about Leer jets and coupes, the way salt shoops and how to sell records like Snoop"

"it's like new york's been soft ever since Snoop came through and crushed the buildings"

not to mention the west coast changed everything with gangsta rap when 90% of new york rappers in the mid-late 80's were rappin about some cornball sht like "hip hop hippity hip hop funk flash master of disaster spinning rhyme wizard i am a microphone genie electrocuting wack mc's" lol
Soul Plane said NY is soft? Never that lol.

But seriously I like Snoop, this is interesting because I was younger at the time of the East vs West beef, I listened to both coasts, I never even knew there was beef (too young). I'm learning stuff in this thread lol.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM

...Jay-z said that. on money cash hos.
and the first line was from Big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music