Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eastcoast Rap or WestCoast Rap Which is better?
EastCoast 130 61.90%
WestCoast 80 38.10%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
^lol no he doesnt. the lines u quoted at best has that play on words regarding the "miracle on 34th street"
jay-z has a double entendre along with the play on words.
"I Jack, I Rob, I Sin
I'm Jackie Robinson
'cept when I run base
I dodge the pen"
just in these 2 lines alone... thats a witty ass mother fer... and he dont write his stuff... its fken crazy

here's another

"Get your weight up
not your hate up
***** man is diesel
when i lift the eight up"

^off "Breathe Easy"... if u dont know how nasty those 2 lines are, then this discussion isnt worth having.
You missed the whole math thing.....mean, median,mode.....Wow, a Lakers reference, genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
yea jay-z sucks but this is "ill" right:

"Watch the droptop pop
Known as the grimy limey slimy
Try me blimey
Simply smashing in a fashion that's timely
Mad Villain dashing in a beat rhyme crime spree
We rock the house like rock 'n roll
Got more soul
Than a sock with a hole"

^lmao gtfo with this garbage.. "known as the grimy limey slimy"
"got more soul... than a sock with a hole"
lololol

only acne riddled white teenagers listen to that cornball ass sht

Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
The Game is underrated. Here's a hot line.

"I'm gangsta, more like Deebo when he was Zeus, play Bishop, I'll paint that picture, now who got the juice"

Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect
Jay-z said that. on money cash hos.
money, cash
money, cash, hoes WHAT

haha i haven't heard that song in a long time. I might have to pop hardknock life in if i can find the CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
uh, who doesn't that apply to(in bold)? is nas's new music as good as his first? scarface? snoop? eminem? mobb deep? ice cube? was nas' hip hop is dead equally good as illmatic or it was written? pointless and obvious observation.
I could definitely name some rappers who have been consistently good from the 90's until now. True that a lot of rappers do end up losing it at least a little with time, i wasn't saying jay-Z is the only one...he's definitely not (and i'm not saying he's bad either...just not as good).

I feel there are a lot of rappers that are a least as good as Jay-Z, but many are just independent and not well known. Jay-Z has good lyrics and flow, and yes he can spit double entendres (what, you think he's the only one who can do that? "Technical" stuff isn't all there is to rapping anyways. I could care less if you spit some crazy lyrical combination if i'm not feeling the beat and i'm not feeling what you're rapping about), and i do like him...but goddamn i'll say it again: overrated. Thats just my opinion though, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense
The west was better in the 90's???????????????????

Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Big, Big L, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots.

Nuff said. East all day. In any decade.p
Both the west and the east had some really good stuff in the 90's...different styles in many ways for sure, but no one coast had a monopoly on that (personally i like west coast stuff a little more overall...the general flow, delivery, content, and the beats that you get over here are more to my liking i guess).

And one of my favorite west coast rap groups from the 1990's is...51.50. They're possibly one of the most under-appreciated, and unknown west coast rap groups of all time, IMO, due to lack of exposure beyond the Bay Area. They're from Marin City, CA (about 5 miles north of SF), and some of the members were in a rap group/were friends with Tupac back around 1990, before anyone knew who tupac was.

here's some 51.50 for you guys, ranging from 1991 to 1996:

YouTube - 51.50 - Ghetto Blues

YouTube - 51.50 - Games People Play

YouTube - 51.50 - Steady Stayin' Paid 95

YouTube - 51.50 - I can't Win

YouTube - 51.50 - Suicyde

Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 AM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
money, cash
money, cash, hoes WHAT

haha i haven't heard that song in a long time. I might have to pop hardknock life in if i can find the CD.

I could definitely name some rappers who have been consistently good from the 90's until now. True that a lot of rappers do end up losing it at least a little with time, i wasn't saying jay-Z is the only one...he's definitely not (and i'm not saying he's bad either...just not as good).

I feel there are a lot of rappers that are a least as good as Jay-Z, but many are just independent and not well known. Jay-Z has good lyrics and flow, and yes he can spit double entendres (what, you think he's the only one who can do that? "Technical" stuff isn't all there is to rapping anyways. I could care less if you spit some crazy lyrical combination if i'm not feeling the beat and i'm not feeling what you're rapping about), and i do like him...but goddamn i'll say it again: overrated. Thats just my opinion though, obviously.

Both the west and the east had some really good stuff in the 90's...different styles in many ways for sure, but no one coast had a monopoly on that (personally i like west coast stuff a little more overall...the general flow, delivery, content, and the beats that you get over here are more to my liking i guess).

And one of my favorite west coast rap groups from the 1990's is...51.50. They're possibly one of the most under-appreciated, and unknown west coast rap groups of all time, IMO, due to lack of exposure beyond the Bay Area. They're from Marin City, CA (about 5 miles north of SF), and some of the members were in a rap group/were friends with Tupac back around 1990, before anyone knew who tupac was.

here's some 51.50 for you guys, ranging from 1991 to 1996:

YouTube - 51.50 - Ghetto Blues

YouTube - 51.50 - Games People Play

YouTube - 51.50 - Steady Stayin' Paid 95

YouTube - 51.50 - I can't Win

YouTube - 51.50 - Suicyde
Ha, Rah 51.50 is one of the most underated rap groups of all time, easily! Ryan D and Tac hold it down for the game!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
^wordddd. I'd probably rank 51.50 as one of my personal favorite groups. I've said it before and i'll say it again: it's a shame about how many talented rappers there are from the bay who will never be well known outside of the Bay. That's the downside of being independent, but it still beats being a corporate money-making pawn instead, and at least with the internet independent artists can now get better exposure.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:18 AM

902 posts, read 2,788,161 times
Quote:
^wordddd. I'd probably rank 51.50 as one of my personal favorite groups. I've said it before and i'll say it again: it's a shame about how many talented rappers there are from the bay who will never be well known outside of the Bay. That's the downside of being independent, but it still beats being a corporate money-making pawn instead, and at least with the internet independent artists can now get better exposure.
Yeah you are damn right, and it is especially true considering 51.50. Them cats is off the hook! I lived in the jungle for a couple of years during my teens. I never got the chance to meet them b/c they were all locked down, but I know their family and what not. They some regular ass people and the music they put out didn't ever make them much money. Considering all the mainstream **** out there and the millions those wack ass artists made, it should have been 51.50! But at least some real rap head like me and you know, b/c it does not get much better than 51.50 and them games that people play.

"when the judge said 5, I pictured a gun to my head, pulled the trigger twice but a n**** still wasn't dead"

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The west was better in the 90's???????????????????

Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Big, Big L, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots.

Nuff said. East all day. In any decade.
Mobb Deep and The Roots are supposed to be among the best the East Coast had to offer in the 90's???????????????????

Dre, Snoop, Warren G, DPG, Cube, DJ Quik, Pac, NWA, Eazy E.

Nuff said. Still West all day.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Which Rap do you like better?

tha beats and style are better in tha west, but the lyrics are better in the east..and i guess it depends on what mood u are in if you wanna hear good deep lyrics or just party..lol...personally right now for me i could go for some Caribbean Queen at tha moment instead of this hip-hop level we are on in this post....but i guess that makes my opinion invalid since i like some 80's shi$ too....lol....p.s.....Miami is a mix of tha west and east and south when it comes to rap/hip hop and what people wanna hear down here..i say here as if i still lived there ..but i grew up there and i know it hasn't changed "that" damn much cuz i still talk to people from there...lol

Old 02-21-2010, 04:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more, especially with the bolded. If we're grading technique then a lot of battle rappers will score high points, like Chino XL. But do you really wanna bump any Chino XL? I sure as hell don't lol. There's definitely much more to making hip hop MUSIC than just technique and wordplay.

And I also have always thought Jay Z was overrated. I've always thought he was good, even really good. But for him to be ranked by some at or above BIG, Pac and Nas's level I was never able to agree with. He had a lot of crap I couldn't stand back in the day like Hard Knock Life and Girl's Best Friend (ugh I still can't stand those garbage ass songs - and they used to play them out on the radio to no end!), and I always thought his flow was mediocre.

A lot of his lyrics are repetitive too, talking about money, cash, hoes, etc. (ironically I actually always liked the remix of that song lol). I agree with expect about his talent when it comes to technique, but for me that's just not really my cup of tea. I do respect the man though, and he has had some classic material as well. I just never considered him among the best of the best. Which is why I agree that he is overrated.

Quote:
Absolutely agree with all of this. Both had a ton of quality coming out at the time, but a lot of the West Coast stuff just always appealed to me more. I didn't originally pay any attention to where anyone came from b/c it made no difference to me. But once the whole beef thing began and all of a sudden it mattered which side you liked better, I realized that I'd always dug the West much more. That didn't keep me from loving a lot of what the East came out with though. The 90's were just a much better time for hip hop.

Quote:
51.50 was cool. I never understood why they never really blew. "Bump a B" was their one track that I used to knock way back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music