Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eastcoast Rap or WestCoast Rap Which is better?
EastCoast 130 61.90%
WestCoast 80 38.10%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times

Advertisements

I don't get people who say Tupac's the best rapper to ever live...when clearly Biggie is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't get people who say Tupac's the best rapper to ever live...when clearly Biggie is...

Yeah "clearly".

Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Yea this was pretty weak compared to Tupac dis songs.
LMAO...

When we look back years later and understand how Suge pimped 2pac... idk.

Also how suge had him in out there like that and put his life in danger from the crips over a chain is sad.

2pac was a nice guy without guidance and should have never been killed like that.

If he would have stuck with digital underground and not sold out to Suge he could still be alive living a happy life.

Tupac was not a thug and he had more to offer the world.

Pac should absolutely have NOT been dissing people from the projects in NYC.

That's what makes drop a gem such a historic diss record after all these years.

Last edited by Legendof302; 07-23-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
eastcoast rap.

not going to say the birth of hip hop because it came from one place nyc.

but hip hop is more richer on the eastcoast then the west, and it seems as if the westcoast hiphop culture has lost its flavor. Eastcoast no matter how low or high it is they keep their style.

Kendrick lamar is one guy from the west coast i admire alot. The west coast need a lot of main stream guys like him.

lol what? Did you manage to sleep through the era of NYC imitating the South after relentlessly trashing it? Did you hear Jadakiss's last mixtape? Did you not notice who the current biggest NYC rapper's biggest influence is (Houston)? lol mainstream NYC hasn't "kept its style" since Dipset and G Unit were relevant.

NYC's underground scene has though. Roc Marciano, Ka, Vado, etc. are keeping real New York rap alive... they're few and far in-between though. Not that I have anything against A$AP Rocky - I like his music - but his music doesn't really fall under the kind of east coast rap anybody on this thread is talking about.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:57 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,410 times

L.A L.A- Cnn-Tragedy Khadafi-MobbDeep - YouTube

Capone -N- Noreaga - Bloody Money - YouTube

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't get how people say Biggie is the best ever when he clearly highjacked Raekwon and Ghostface style. KRS-One and Rakim would run circles around Biggie.

Love how Jeru dissed him. Biggie was very shallow compared to Pac or Nas.

Jeru The Damaja - Ya Playin' Yaself - YouTube

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
I don't get how people say Biggie is the best ever when he clearly highjacked Raekwon and Ghostface style. KRS-One and Rakim would run circles around Biggie.

I alway thought that too.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,484 times
I love both East Coast and West Coast Hip Hop. The East Coast created Hip Hop. However, in some ways I like West Coast Hip Hop better. Why? Because some of the best West Coast Hip Hop has never been heard on a wide scale. Since the advent of recorded Hip Hop on the West Coast with Too $hort, West Coast Rap was an underground phenomena. East Coast Hip Hop has been about signing to major record labels since the early 80's. East Coast rappers who supposedly represent the block are being pimped by White men in suits. To this day, most people on the East Coast do not respect rappers who are not signed to major record labels. Many East Coast rappers from the 80's to the present are flat broke today because they signed "bad deals" with big record companies. Also, since East Coast rappers music was much more accessible than underground Gangsta rap from Cali, generations of cornball White kids born and raised in the suburbs think they are actually knowledgeable about Hip Hop. This has helped bastardize much of the easily accessible classic East Coast and West Coast Hip Hop from the 80's and 90's in the same way classic Air Jordans from the 80's and 90's have been commercialized and re-retro'd to death.

#116 Black Music that Black People Don’t Listen to Anymore « Stuff White People Like

Dealing with major record labels has always been a pitfall of East Coast Hip Hop. This is the reason why Q-Tip said that "industry people are shady" on "Check the Rhime". The late great Guru of Gang Starr summed it up best when he said this on "Credit is Due":

"A lot of the dopest MC's don't really get enough light/because their record companies don't really market them right/Most people signing acts/ they ain't from the streets because they come from the sweet, soft section of town/and they be sweating and pretending that they know a real rap sound..."

Corporate exploitation of Hip Hop is not unique to the East Coast. West Coast groups like N.W.A. were also pimped by sleazy rich White guys. Also, most music critics who rate Hip Hop music are not people from the hood in any shape, form or fashion. Miss Info was the original critic for The Source that gave Illmatic five mics.

Ultimately, Hip Hop is the poetry of the ghetto. It is not something that can really be truly understood by outsiders. In my opinion, the best West Coast Hip Hop was way too harsh for the radio because it embodied the unedited insanity of living in the inner city in California. These songs were made for the block and by the block. The rappers who made these songs were truly trapped in the ghetto and you can hear it in the music. These rappers never sat in corporate meetings with White dudes in suits talking about marketing. Nor were these rappers art school students who decided to make hardcore records to boost revenue for a big record company like Mobb Deep. These songs effectively evoke the fear, pain and desperation of places like East Palo Alto when it was the murder capital of the U.S. in 1992 and Lakeview in San Francisco when it was one of the worst neighborhoods on the West Coast:

I know my opinions are unpopular especially with East Coast posters but I don't care because I am from the hood and I don't need to read an allmusic.com rating or watch VH1 to tell me what Hip Hop is.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-24-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Yea this was pretty weak compared to Tupac dis songs. One thing I did hate was how bias people from the Eastcoast were at the time. He was better than Biggie to me. He had way more emotion in his lyrics. I personaly don't think Biggie was better than Rakim, Ghost Face, or Krs-One either for that matter. Just my opinion.

2Pac - Against All Odds - YouTube

2Pac - Bomb First + Blasphemy - YouTube

I get into this argument all the time. "Hit Em Up" is not a good diss song. It's a good song but it's too simple and elementary. A good diss song will make you rewind it ten times just to catch a subliminal message. It's basically a curse song that anybody could have made.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 07-24-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:

Stop playing! Biggie's flow alone kills anything that Ghost Face and Rae could have put out. He didn't take their style. Biggie was dissin all of them cats subliminally, that's why he was the KING.

On that P Ditty Victory joint he goes at Nas, Ghost and Rae - "I'm in your momma crib waitin, duct tapin, your fam Destiny lays in my hands, gat lays in my waist." Nas said that was about his daughter Destiny. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music