Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 10:31 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,263 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Brand Nubian - Slow Down

Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM

YouTube - Black Sheep - The Choice is Yours (this or that)

Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You mean Texas' theme song and I agree with natalay, as much as I liked the song because of it's actual place (it belongs in the clubs), it's not versatile to be an anthem.

THIS would be an anthem for the South.

YouTube - Goodie Mob "Dirty South"

Or this.

YouTube - Geto Boys - My Mind Playing Tricks On Me
I gotta disagree big time on that. While I like both of those songs, Southside is the south's anthem whether people agree or not. It's played in clubs all the time for the south.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I gotta disagree big time on that. While I like both of those songs, Southside is the south's anthem whether people agree or not. It's played in clubs all the time for the south.
I've lived in Florida for over 10 years and I've clubbed all up and through every major city in Florida - I've never heard this song played in the club.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Again, you're only referring to Texas and Louisiana. Mississippi probably as well. Yes, the song was never played in Florida as natalay said. Alabama, The Carolinas and Georgia didn't play it that much either. Only areas close to Texas played this song. But the two songs I just played was in the clubs and streets throughout the South and they tell you more about the South than Lil Keke's do. I know it hurts Texans to here me say this all the time, but people east of Mississippi do not listen to Texas like that. They never did. They respect it. But it's not what you hear on the streets in the Southeast. In fact, you will probably hear underground Texas music in California before you hear it in Georgia or Florida.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Again, you're only referring to Texas and Louisiana. Mississippi probably as well. Yes, the song was never played in Florida as natalay said. Alabama, The Carolinas and Georgia didn't play it that much either. Only areas close to Texas played this song. But the two songs I just played was in the clubs and streets throughout the South and they tell you more about the South than Lil Keke's do. I know it hurts Texans to here me say this all the time, but people east of Mississippi do not listen to Texas like that. They never did. They respect it. But it's not what you hear on the streets in the Southeast. In fact, you will probably hear underground Texas music in California before you hear it in Georgia or Florida.
Most people in FL, especially the closer you get to Miami don't really like Texas music. Well let me rephrase, they don't like the chopped and screwed Texas music. Our music is just slowed down - I guess that would be screwed - chopping isn't big here. The only Texas rappers I can think of off hand that were played in the clubs are the ones that were mainstream - Lil Flip, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Bun B, Chamillionaire, Geto Boys, etc...there's more but the lesser known ones don't get played in the clubs. Southern clubs are quick to boo a DJ if we don't like what he's playing

Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM

YouTube - Young Black Teenagers - Tap the Bottle (Twist the Cap)

Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM

YouTube - Gang Starr - Code Of The Streets

Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 PM

If I had to pick an anthem for the South based on my club experiences it would def be Can't F*ck with The South By Trick Daddy. It's got a lot of attitude, a lot of profanity, it gets you hype and you can dance to it that's pretty much all you need to have a hit in Florida. That song doesn't exactly rep the South though - I don't think he even says it aside from the title.

LOL I think I just like raunchy ass songs - I guess that's not very ladylike huh?

YouTube - Silkk the Shocker feat. Mystikal - Let Me Hit It

Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM

LOL this is another song I used to show out on - any song that basically said "Do something" used to give me a reason to act up.

YouTube - T.I. - Stand Up Ft. Trick Daddy ,Lil Jon And Lil Wayne (Urban Legend)

And for those rare moments where I'm feeling lovely dovey I still kept it hood - as hood as a kid from the suburbs could be anyway.

YouTube - T.I. - Chillin' With My ***** Ft. Jazza Pha (Urban Legend)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music