Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:47 PM

204 posts, read 617,395 times

Advertisements

This article got me thinking about what types of singing voices I tend to like:
50 Great Voices: Help Us Choose : NPR

The best I can figure is this.....a voice doesn't have to be perfect, but there has to be artistry which I find appealing. That would explain why I love Lucinda Williams, but not Celine Dion. I'm swimming against the tide, I know, but Celine Dions singing just leaves me cold. It's like being pounded with a crystal hammer. Compared to this singer, who connects, and touches the listener:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSFCu0-ta0

So, for a short list of singers on the ShermanJoe hit parade:

Lucinda Williams
Ryan Adams
Freddy Mercury
Neko Case
Johnny Cash
Etta James

Who "sings to you" when you hear them???? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,042,891 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fk0Y6Lu_uA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCtIih2HR8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlwO7178Vs

and more than I could possibly list . . . music is an emotional 'release' for me so really depends on my mood at the time but here are a few of my favorites.

Oh and PS feel the same way about Celine - rather be eaten by wild boars lol

Last edited by JustJoy; 12-26-2009 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-26-2009, 05:26 PM

981 posts, read 805,377 times
Celine is one of the greatest singers of all time, bar none. How dare any of you speak against Celine.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Celine is one of the greatest singers of all time, bar none. How dare any of you speak against Celine.
Possibly, though JMO, a more appropriate response would have been to post a video and simply say "I personally feel Celine is one of the greatest singers of all time bar none." IMO there really wasn't a need to post such an attacking remark when we're simply talking about different tastes in music/singers.

Though to 'extend the olive branch' since it's Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-kr0EbQew

Last edited by JustJoy; 12-26-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-26-2009, 06:08 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,538 times
Some great, textbook voices don't do much for me. I gotta hear the soul, the personality in a voice. "Perfect" voices don't often do it. Also, musical genre has to be considered, because though I can hear the beauty in "voices" like Vic Damone or Jerry Vale or Al Martino, or even opera singers like Pavarotti and Domingo, if I'm not moved, the art is lost ... on me! I recognize that it might not be lost on others, and that is why after a certain level of greatness it is all subjective...

Singers that do it for me, that have voices that do what they tell them to do, a timbre that's appealing, while also creating what I consider to be art....

Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Bonnie Raitt, Barbara Streisand, Sheryl Crow, Dianna Ross, and many more....

Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Some great, textbook voices don't do much for me. I gotta hear the soul, the personality in a voice. "Perfect" voices don't often do it. Also, musical genre has to be considered, because though I can hear the beauty in "voices" like Vic Damone or Jerry Vale or Al Martino, or even opera singers like Pavarotti and Domingo, if I'm not moved, the art is lost ... on me! I recognize that it might not be lost on others, and that is why after a certain level of greatness it is all subjective...

Singers that do it for me, that have voices that do what they tell them to do, a timbre that's appealing, while also creating what I consider to be art....

Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Bonnie Raitt, Barbara Streisand, Sheryl Crow, Dianna Ross, and many more....
Well this one is for you Mr. Humble as it combines 2 of my favorite singers, one of whom you already mentioned, Bonnie Raitt (saw her in concert several times) where she's doing a duet with the man, John Lee Hooker, another of my favorite singers/musicians. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT-FoZt95D4

Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,338 times
My favorites are Joe Cocker, Bob Seger, John Fogerty, Mick Jagger, Brian Johnson, Bon Scott, Robert Plant, Wilson Pickett, Janis Joplin, Roger Daltrey. I like the raspy ones.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,338 times
Oops.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
My favorites are Joe Cocker, Bob Seger, John Fogerty, Mick Jagger, Brian Johnson, Bon Scott, Robert Plant, Wilson Pickett, Janis Joplin, Roger Daltrey. I like the raspy ones.
. . . . I did it again LOL. Janis was/is a classic - drove my dad insane listening to her and other's of the day. Being the great dad he was, he just bought me a headset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIaDS9HhMw

Old 12-26-2009, 11:15 PM

408 posts, read 723,517 times
Some of my favorite voices are those of Roberta Flack, Carly Simon, Minnie Ripperton*, Janis Joplin, Patrice Rushen, Marvin Gaye, Bobby Womack, Al Green, Luther Vandross, Bill Withers, and though his name escapes me, I know his last name is Wilson, he sang with New Birth

* Minnie Ripperton is so amazing... just wanted to note that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music