Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Dadeguy, actually gave me an idea, that it might be interesting to put a few links to the jury...

YouTube - "You Go To My Head" Keely Smith

YouTube - You Go To My Head (Frank Sinatra)

Which version of this song is better and why?
which is better? I couldn't say I like them both and am content listening to either. then again I never thought there was a "bad" song on any album irrespective of airplay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,418 times
First of all, Keely Smith is a great singer, but the arrangement in the Sinatra cut is much better. Sinatra "talked" a lyric, he thought about what they were saying to him when he was singing it. When he sings, "You go to my head, and you linger.. like a haunting refrain. And i find you spinning a-rou-ound.. in my brain..." you feel it. He sits on the lyric, you feel it spinning around in your own brain. But then he was known for this. Even known prodigies like Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald, blessed with voices from God, didn't pay attention to what the lyric meant to them. And as great as they were, as instruments, there was something missing.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM

how about this interpretation?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM

or this one?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Now Judy Garland was an interpreter, but that arrangement has nothing to do with somebody inhabiting your brain, intoxicating your brain. But how 'bout this one from Judy?

YouTube - Judy Garland...Get Happy (TV Show)

It makes you happy, as you'd think the theme of the lyric would indicate, right? Now can you hear it, if this would have been done as a ballad?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:37 PM

sinatra "owned" whatever he sang. he had a way to make it seem as though he had written it. I never could actually place a finger on it but you have just given me the answer. still that is a great tune and I enjoy all of the interpretations therein. which is better? they all are!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:44 PM

as a ballad? hmmm that tune would not work well as a ballad I don't think.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
as a ballad? hmmm that tune would not work well as a ballad I don't think.
Right, now you're link of Billie's, "You go to my Head," is an interesting case in point though, right? Because, if anybody paid attention to what the lyrics indicated to them, it was Billie Holiday. Her take works for me, better than the Judy Garland take does, and I hear the sound of the cabaret, the niteclub, speak easy environment in it. Hey, we embark on a journey to try to understand if there is definitive good and bad, or good, better and best in music we have to be prepared to acknowledge degrees and textures. It is not, of course, clear cut, but there are rungs of excellence that most of us will be able to agree with .... I think ... Is there no emoticon here for scratching one's muddled head?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM

speaking of keely smith, check out this linky with hubby louis prima

notice smith's facial expressions

Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Right, that was their schtick. I love it, all men probably know what it feels like to be on the other side of that look ... that says, "What an intolerable jerk! What am I going to do with this buffoon?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music