Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

I dont understand. First of all, theres not just one thing to Country. It has so many different sub genres and styles and stylists. You could go from John Denver to Leon Redbone or Patsy Cline. None of them are anything alike !

People get this idea that its all the same, but I used to think that myself before I got HOOKED on it. Now I realize how incrredibly diverse and eclectic it is. Just as much if not more than Rock Music

Also, Country Music is great live. They sound just like the record! They dont need to lip sync because they can actually sing

I dont care much for Today's Country because a lot of the radio stuff lacks flavor, but I love ALT-COUNTRY like Neko Case, Wilco, Ryan Adams, BR549, Meade Skelton, etc.

I dont understand the hate.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
A lot of us old rockers hated that sheet kickin red neck stuff where the lyrics always talked about a girlfriend. But things have changed. Some of today's country music could pass off as rock. Look at Rascal Flats. There are groups trying to have them kicked out of the country catagory because they are a rock band. Things have changed.

There is no new good music coming out today but there is in Country which is why Country music is enjoying the increased popularity today. There are some great new stars coming along

I been a Reba fan since long long ago but had no idea she was country. I just liked her music. Then it happened. I married a country gal who was into the Texas Two Step and that country line dancing hogwash. Soon I started finding myself loving Alan Jackson and fell head over heals with Sugarland. I soon became what you might call a closet country fan. Now I am an all out country fan.

But make no mistake. I will never be a traitor to 60s and 70s rock and roll, the greatest music on earth.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
A lot of us old rockers hated that sheet kickin red neck stuff where the lyrics always talked about a girlfriend. But things have changed. Some of today's country music could pass off as rock. Look at Rascal Flats. There are groups trying to have them kicked out of the country catagory because they are a rock band. Things have changed.

There is no new good music coming out today but there is in Country which is why Country music is enjoying the increased popularity today. There are some great new stars coming along

I been a Reba fan since long long ago but had no idea she was country. I just liked her music. Then it happened. I married a country gal who was into the Texas Two Step and that country line dancing hogwash. Soon I started finding myself loving Alan Jackson and fell head over heals with Sugarland. I soon became what you might call a closet country fan. Now I am an all out country fan.

But make no mistake. I will never be a traitor to 60s and 70s rock and roll, the greatest music on earth.

But older Country is WAYYY Better. And its not about GF or something. Havent you ever heard of songs such as "San Antonio Rose"? Or like Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys?

Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins and Hank Sr and Lefty- they are ALL LEGENDS.

A lot of Rock music is just screaming noise made by talentless hack "musicians".

Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,576,692 times
Country isn't bad per se, it's just that a lot of it sounds the same, but thier are exceptions to every genre

Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Ya know what? In the old days when country was not popular, rock embraced country and let Dolly Parton and Charlie Danials and others play songs on rock stations. Today is the opposite. Country is embracing rock bands who are all doing country now. You have Bon Jovi, Robert Plant, Darius Rukas from Hootie, and many more. Hey isn't Def Leppard hosting the CMAs this year?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
I guess each to their own flavor of music in general.

When I was growing up, country music was played by my elders and to me it all sounded similar, same sad story, a guy in his truck and his girlfriend left him for a guy with more money and now he is very sad and lonely. Oh do I remember HeeHaw, enough of that.. Today's country "in general" is much better and actually some of them are very close to rock -n- roll. Sugar Land, Brooks and Dunn, Rascal Flatts and Toby Keith , Trace Adkins to mention a few..

Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
Yeah, my folks listened to A LOT of country music while I was growing up. Obviously, I DO NOT listen to country music. Ever. Unless I'm at a dance hall where I have no choice.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
I have an antipathy to all current music, not just country. Probably because I live in an area with only top 40 radio stations where the music is overplayed. I'm sure that Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard were overplayed in their time, but they sound very fresh now that they are never played.

In the early 70's rock 'n' roll moved toward a country sound resulting in some terrific music. That same type of music occupies the current country top 40, but I like the 70's country rock better. I just think the 70's had better songs, musicians, and creativity.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:25 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,576,692 times
The 70's weren't a bad time at all for any genre like you said. I can say they all were experimental, classic and lasting.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The same reason they don't like some other genre...I don't much care for most country or rap or R&B bc I don't think it sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music