Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Bauhaus - Ziggy Stardust

YouTube - Manic Street Preachers - Suicide Is Painless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Victorian
I like your example, that cover by Birthday Massacre is indeed good.
I suppose a lot of what goes into a good cover is production. I simply enjoy how these covers use different methods and approaches--but of course, some of it lies in voice, guitar, etc.

Just a few of mine--some more recent than others. I tried to do links instead of embedding because I did not want to overload the thread--but the embedded videos showed up anyway.

All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix (I know it's almost a cliche, but the truth is Hendrix took that song and ran away with it)

[b]Mad World-Gary Jules,[/B] originally by Tears for Fears (so angsty. one of my favorite videos, ever)

Such Great Heights, cover by Iron and Wine, original by Postal Service, could not find video

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, originally by Michael Jackson (I loved MJ's version, but AAF takes this song to another level) A lot of Gen Xers think MJ copied AAF. Well, AAF does copy some of MJ's more well-known qualities.

Over the Rainbow by
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
, originally by Judy Garland (both these artists conveyed a lot of soul--I really enjoy this production, though)

Hurt by Johnny Cash, originally by Nine Inch Nails (such evocative lyrics, and you can tell that Cash has been where Trent Reznor is coming from)

Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
Poison Idea-Kick Out The Jams
Ebba Grön-Born To Be Wild
Also I think Bob Dylan is better as a songwriter than as a singer.
Two examples are All Along The Watchtower and Like A Rolling Stone.
Johnny Cash also did a couple of great Dylan covers.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 AM

602 posts, read 2,033,272 times
"I'm a Believer"- Tin Huey
The best remake of the Monkees' classic.

"Wild in the Streets"- Circle Jerks
This was a remake of an old Garland Jeffreys song, and it blows the door off the soully "Lou Reed-ish" original.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
Ain't That A Shame by Fats Domino. Not necessarily better but different when covered by Cheap Trick

YouTube - Cheap Trick - Ain't That A Shame

Live And Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings. I like the version by Guns N' Roses better

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Better? To me, not many cover songs are "better" than the originals.

For instance, the Beatles cover of Twist & Shout was good, but not better than the Isley Brothers original!

The Rolling Stones cover of Time is on Your Side is better known, but was it truly better than the way Irma Thomas did it? No!

However...

Perhaps the McCoys 1965 Hang On Sloopy cover was better in many ways than the original by songwriter Bert Berns, which was originally recorded by the R&B group, The Vibrations, as "My Girl Sloopy" in 1964.

Perhaps the Young Rascals cover of Good Lovin' was better than the original by the Olympics.

Still... not many covers are better. That depends on what is meant by "better". In general, its hard for me to think of covers as being better than the originals, because someone actually created the original from scratch.

The cover artist(s) had the original music to work with, and "improve" upon. Even though the original recording or sound may not have been "superior" to the cover, that shouldn't mean that the original song was not the best version.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Last Kiss, originally performed by Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. The original just sounds entirely too peppy to me for being a song about losing your girlfriend in a car crash. I love this song...

Original:

YouTube - J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers - Last Kiss

Covered by Pearl Jam.

YouTube - pearl jam last kiss

Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What about Sam Kinison? Didn't like it, personally.
The Runaways did a good version of "Wild Thing", although it's not as good as Hendrix's.

Speaking of the Troggs, their cover of "Good Vibrations" is in the so-bad-it's-hilarious category.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I was reminded of two this morning--only I don't know who the original artists were.

The Black Crowes redid "Hard to Handle" but it is a blues standard. As is "You Can't Judge a Book By Looking at its Cover", done both by the Yardbirds and the Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Otis Redding and Bo Diddley respectively.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Richie Havens did a live cover of the Beatles' "Here comes the sun" that I just loved. For me, the only Beatles cover that I liked better than the original.
Paul McCartney thought Vanilla Fudge's version of "Ticket To Ride" was better than the Beatles' original.

And Wilson Pickett's "Hey Jude" is arguably better than the original (Can't beat that phenomenal voice!)

Don't know if the Rolling Stones' "I Wanna Be Your Man" counts as it came out before the Beatles' version did even though it was a Lennon/McCartney song.

OTOH there is NO Who cover that is up to the level of the original...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music