U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 AM

13,367 posts, read 39,687,487 times

Advertisements

Obviously this is totally subjective and a matter of taste.
I am choosing songs which I do believe will still be around 30 years from now.
Anyone else have 4 that they think will stand the test of time?
Feist is a talented young woman.

YouTube - Feist 'My Moon My Man' by Patrick Daughters

Derek Trucks, named for Derek and the Dominoes, has been playing since he was a little kid, with years of more Joyful Noise to come.

YouTube - The Derek Trucks Band - Joyful Noise

Lovely harmonies here from the Fleet Foxes. Their entire album is evocative of another time.
But it's now.

YouTube - Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

The White Stripes have been around awhile, and this is an older song, but it was recorded in 2000.
I enjoy the way Jack White stretches; he's got a hand in several different genres. I've seen them live--it does my heart so much good to see this young band. At the beginning of this song, a little boy recites a poem.
That's White as a kid.

YouTube - Let's build a home The White Stripes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,296,435 times
In the Sun- Joseph Arthur, The Crane Wife- The Decemberist, Do You Realize- The Flaming Lips, Hollow Man- REM, and What Light- Wilco. These songs do not even scratch the surface. I came up with them off the top of my head. All these artist have more superb songs this decade, in addition to others I did not get around to mentioning.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM

113,711 posts, read 51,303,774 times
Lame lyrics but I like the sound...........probably have to go country for the next three!!

YouTube - Final Fantasy VIII - 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite

Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,646,642 times
I hear a lot of new stuff I like, but usually don't know
who it is. These are four new ones I like, ones that I
could call up, anyway...

YouTube - Ben Lee: gamble everything for love video

YouTube - I Will Follow You Into the Dark With Lyrics

YouTube - Lay Down Your Arms

YouTube - Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody

Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM

27,236 posts, read 39,621,692 times
I thought that "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet was a return to old school rock roots.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your offerings.
Loose Cannon, I love all the bands you mentioned, though sometimes I don't get Wilco.

The point is, there is so much good stuff out there right now.

My spouse always has his radio tuned into Classic Rock, because that's the time he (and I) came of age, and he prefers more familiar songs.
I love the old stuff, but suppose I would rather get excited about new music than wallow in the 70's.
Iron and Wine's "Such Great Heights"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGHkBComjM

Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 AM

113,711 posts, read 51,303,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I thought that "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet was a return to old school rock roots.
I like this by Jet!!

YouTube - Jet - Get Me Outta Here (Live)

Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks Sat! Jet has energy!

I really love Ike Reilly and the Assassination.

There is not too much of him on Youtube--two of my faves, I Don't Want What You Got Goin' On. and Hip Hop Thighs, are not in decent quality on there.
But Garbage Day is.

YouTube - Garbage Day

Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 AM

688 posts, read 1,220,069 times
Kid Rock's "All Summer Long", Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me", and some of Jack Johnson's surfer-type music. Not really too much last few years.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,234,036 times
I think anything from Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Joe Bonamassa is gonna be around for a long-long time. These are just two of the younger generation of guitarists-guitarist. Following in the footsteps of Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Duane Allman, Dickey Betts etc-etc. You don't just wake up and decide you are going to be that good. It is something special and takes years and years of non-stop practicing. Was it all worth it? Well, you stand out above the crowd as being some of the best. The other guys that know four or five power-chords and writing trendy (forget it in six months) music won't last.

YouTube - Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Voodoo Child" Live

YouTube - Joe Bonamassa lesson on soloing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or