Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestahta View Post
I went into the big blue box a few days ago. It was a very busy day but I noticed the cd section was almost vacant. I think I saw 3 people in the entire section. Does anyone still buy cd's and if so, what was the last one you bought?
I buy them online right before a big road trip and the last one I bought was Rascal Flatts - Unstoppable.

Otherwise, I pay for music downloads of older songs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I only pay for CDs now if the price is worth it. In other words, if it costs $7, and there are seven songs I like, then I'll buy it. If it costs $7 and there's only one song I like, then I can download that song from iTunes for $2 or $3 and save some money. There are very few albums I can listen to all the way through. Even some "Greatest Hits" compilations don't do it for me, because I like some obscure songs better than the regular hits. I guess I'm just difficult to please!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I refuse to buy digital music online. I want a physical hard copy, liner notes, artwork, etc. But since I'm in the minority, I will one day lose the ability to do so, as I suspect fewer and fewer record companies will continue to produce them that way. But when I can no longer find CDs, etc, I will STOP buying all forms of music.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
I'll keep buying CDs until the whole cloud thing has matured.
I want all my music to be available at anytime and from any connected device and if I need too I can download them...when this all works without any glitches I'll get rid of my CDs.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Yes, I still buy CD's. I like liner notes, lyrics, artwork, etc. Most of the CD's I buy I listen all the way through. I may skip a song here and there or if I'm short on time I will pick a few to listen to but that's it. Otherwise, the entire CD is played.

Last CD I bought but it has not been delivered yet:

When I'm President - Ian Hunter (just released)

Last CD ordered and arrived:

Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton (self titled)

I buy all CD's from Amazon.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The last CD I bought? This morning!
The last album I bought? Yesterday.

The comments I've seen thread on getting rid of CD's is noted, though. The overwhelming majority on this forum is twenty times ahead of me in the technology department. And most likely the smarts department.

It wasn't that many years ago that the same opinion was going down on vinyl. The labels couldn't wait to abandon the lp format and the 45 as well.

And the collectors couldn't wait to get rid of their album collections either. Now it's CD's that are going to the landfill. Duh.
I made this post over three years ago. A couple personal observations regarding this issue.

It only took the music industry umpteen years to realize paying $16.99 for a CD was kind of stretching it. The prices for new CD's have gone down in price, not so much for new releases but for back catalog. Lots of groups and solo artists have gone down in price, some way down in price. But not all of them. From what I've seen lately in stores (not internet sites) releases by the Beatles, solo Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and a few others are still around $12.98 to $15.98 retail on single CD's and of course more for double and triple sets.

But there has been a sizable drop in price on other top drawer acts, a good example would be Bob Dylan. Much of his back catalog has dropped to $8.98 to even $6.98 retail. There are many others in classic rock that have dropped. I've also noticed some 90's up to current bands going through the same thing; groups like Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave Mathews Band, White Stripes, and several others have dropped in price-not the new releases but their earlier catalog stuff.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I only buy a CD if a band does a release online and a physical CD is part of the package like with Nine Inch Nails Ghost I - IV and Radiohead's In Rainbows which is actually the newest CD I own but I have never even opened it.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM

664 posts, read 855,141 times
i'm buying Brandy's new album!

Two Eleven in stores October 16th!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Default Do You Still Buy CD's?

No I don't.

Doesn't mean I'll not buy one. I love downloading MP3 files. I buy all of my music, I don't steal it from the music websites. Artists deserve to get paid for their art. Pay them!!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I play their new music on the radio, so I am entitled to burn their cds in our secret radio production room. I love it! A lot of these artist I end seeing in concert anyway so I help them out that way. I have not bought a cd in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music