Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times

Advertisements

Has anybody ever heard of guitarist Steve Hillage? I personally think he is one of the best guitarists in rock history and he can really play with emotion and substance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
There are SO many guitarists in the European progressive movement from the 1970's through 1990's that go unnoticed. Groups like Hatfield and the North, Focus, Egg, Daevid Allen and Gong,King Crimson, Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come; even when rock radio in the 70's wasn't completely swallowed up by corporate giants , these groups were not discovered by Americans at all.

Sad. Steven Hillage is a talent. He started with smaller bands like Khan and Egg, then joined up with Daevid Allen and Gong. Gong's "You" I believe is the last lp issued in the States. Interesting prog stuff! I have (and recommend) L, Fish Rising, Paris Theatre 77 Live. I've been told by a British friend of mine who collects British radio live concerts that this one(PT77) is from the original British transcription discs, and those are MUCHO collectible. I'm way behind on collecting his material from the last ten years or so.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There are SO many guitarists in the European progressive movement from the 1970's through 1990's that go unnoticed. Groups like Hatfield and the North, Focus, Egg, Daevid Allen and Gong,King Crimson, Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come; even when rock radio in the 70's wasn't completely swallowed up by corporate giants , these groups were not discovered by Americans at all.

Sad. Steven Hillage is a talent. He started with smaller bands like Khan and Egg, then joined up with Daevid Allen and Gong. Gong's "You" I believe is the last lp issued in the States. Interesting prog stuff! I have (and recommend) L, Fish Rising, Paris Theatre 77 Live. I've been told by a British friend of mine who collects British radio live concerts that this one(PT77) is from the original British transcription discs, and those are MUCHO collectible. I'm way behind on collecting his material from the last ten years or so.
Alot of these European progressive rock bands do seem to go unnoticed by the American rock fans and they seem to be really hard to find here in the States, there are so many great progressive rock bands I really like that needs greater recognition than what it gets, I have heard a few songs by Khan and I was totally amazed by them, Gong was another great group, which albums did Steve Hillage appear on when he joined Gong? I have heard some of Steve's solo material and I thought his solo stuff is quite good as well, I definitely have to agree with you that only very few Americans have heard of these bands

Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
I have 3 by Steve Hillage- Rainbow Dome Music, L, and Fish Rising

Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
I have 3 by Steve Hillage- Rainbow Dome Music, L, and Fish Rising
What would consider being the best album you have by Steve Hillage?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
Rainbow Dome Music for headphones to relax (I used to loop it in my mp3 player for sleep ) and L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music