Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:08 PM

295 posts, read 667,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I cant believe so many people admitted to the world they listen to that stuff. I would find it embarrassing to admit to my friends if I did have some sort of liking for it.
THAT's how I feel about Country music!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Which reminds me of a friend of mine, a fine jazz trumpeter, who passed away recently. As he was being taken to the ambulance by the paramedics, they asked, "Is there anything you can't take?" He repled, "Country music". He went out in style! I got a huge laugh, although I actually like some country music.

desertsun41: You need to listen to the right operas and open up your mind!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I realize that opera music is often viewed as "stuffy" or "elitist" (God forbid!)...I am a classically trained soprano & have been singing since I was about 14 years old. I have only had the opportunity to attend one opera though & that was Rigoletto when I was 17, I have sung at many events since that time though & have not gained "primadonna" status (LOL!)

Anyways, if anyone on C-D does listen to opera? Which operas do you prefer? German, Italian, French? Wagner, Puccini? Who are some of your favorite performers & some of your favorite operas?? I'm interested to hear in what some of you have to say...I know that as someone in my twenties, opera is not very highly regarded as far as popular music goes but it is still something very near & dear to my heart.

Thanks for your responses!
I studied it for four years...appreciate it, but don't listen to it for fun.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
THAT's how I feel about Country music!
That is getting kinda old though. I come across so many who hate country but most speak of old country. You know...the old sheet kicken dirt eating red neck twanging stuff.

Todays country is the most popular music out there. It's the only music out there. No one plays rock anymore. Wrap and other timed poetry dont even count as music. So many rockers have gone country because it is being played on the radio. It's the only concerts going on these days too. Much of todays country sounds more like rock and some of it would have gotten airplay on a rock station had it been released 30 years ago.

Had this thread not been anonymous I suspect it would not have gone 20 posts. I dont think I ever met a younger under 60 who admitted to listening to opera.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I adore Opera and have been going to Opera since I was a child. Some Operas are much better than others though... I am a big fan of Wagner ( "The Ring" in Bayreuth is something magical) , Bizet, Verdi and of course Verdi and Puccini. I still cannot watch "La Boheme" or "La Traviatta" without a lump in my throat.

We go to a lot of open air operas in summer ( we are lucky to have some excellent companies) and treat ourseves to the Royal Opera House or the ENO once or twice a year but nothing, absolutely nothing has ever come close in quality to the National Estonian Opera. We were in Tallinn a couple of years back and exchanging homes with the Musical director and were treeated to two superb performances ( "Cavelliera Rusticana" and " "Pagliaci" and " Carmen") and were blown away by the sheer quality of the entire cast from the soloists to the choir. Stunning.

Estonians apparently sing from an early age and believe me it shows. They have a National Singing "bowl" as opposed to a National Stadium and their recent Revolution was called the singing Revolution.

Opera to me can be the most beautiful and moving music in the world but some can leave me a bit cold.

I know everyone adore Mozart but he does nothing for me. I find him too frivolous and light the Opera equivalent of Pop Music I suppose. He wrote beautiful , lovely tunes but nothing to really stir my soul the way Verdi or Puccini does. To me Mozart is like beautiful technically perfect model with no character. I know, I know, throw me to the Lions and be done with me.

I also like Stauss , Massenet, Borodin, Rossini, Korsakoff, Janacek and am a big fan of Operetta ( which I find more "honest" than Mozart in its frivolity) so people like Offenbach and Gilbert and Sullivan.

Sadly I cannot sing at all so I just gaze in wonder at Opera singers whose voices can render me aquiver with emotion...

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 06-24-2009 at 04:44 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
I cant believe so many people admitted to the world they listen to that stuff. I would find it embarrassing to admit to my friends if I did have some sort of liking for it.
Why ? I love all kinds of music from Opera to Heavy Metal and most things in between. What is so embarassing about loving beautiful music , sung by extremely talented people which stirs and moves the soul ?

Music is music. It is either good or it isn't. I don't care what the label attached to it is.

Many modern musicians ( including heavy metal ones) are inspired by classical music .

Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 AM

Some of the "obvious culprits"

YouTube - The Flower Duet (Lakmé)

YouTube - Angela GHEORGHIU - Habanera - Carmen - Bizet

YouTube - Wagner - Die Walküre Act 3 - Ride of the Valkyries

Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
A true friend would not ridicule you for your musical tastes.
Did you like Tommy?
I remember watching Mister rogers' operas when my kids were little.
I think it was back then that I really got an inkling of what opera was all about--and I am not ashamed to admit it.
Also as a young adult I went to see an opera with my aunt, I am sorry to say I do not remember which one it was.
I just remember being so caught up in the emotional sight and sound, the high drama, all while trying to keep up with the libretto.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
A true friend would not ridicule you for your musical tastes.
Did you like Tommy?
I remember watching Mister rogers' operas when my kids were little.
I think it was back then that I really got an inkling of what opera was all about--and I am not ashamed to admit it.
Also as a young adult I went to see an opera with my aunt, I am sorry to say I do not remember which one it was.
I just remember being so caught up in the emotional sight and sound, the high drama, all while trying to keep up with the libretto.
Friends do ridicule friends. Worse yet, kids can be real cruel. Im of the Woodstock era but still have a solid memory what it was like to be a kid, unlike most parents who forget real quickly. I will tell you the truth here. If a kid went into his school and started playing some opera he would have gotten the pulp beat from his head. I suspect that is not the case today. But I still wonder what would happen today if a gang of thugs are booming their wrap crap and some kid walked by playing opera on his boom box.

Granted I give opera the seal of talent approval unlike that timed cursing poetry trash. I just cant listen to it.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
I'm a classically trained singer (soprano) but I didn't do much actual opera, though over the years I was in many choirs where we sang sacred music and performed at places like botanical gardens, upscale malls (particularly at Christmas), "old folks homes" (that's what we called it then; I don't know if there's a more PC term for it now), hospitals, etc. The summer I turned 17, I studied at Tanglewood in the Vocal program and started to get more of a taste for opera then I had before. I had the privilege of singing onstage (in the chorus) with Leonard Bernstein and the Boston Symphony orchestra, and we did Haydn's Nelson Mass our summer, conducted by Seiji Ozawa. I wish I appreciated it then the way I would now. Music was my life so all of that seemed normal and natural but now I realize how extraordinary those experiences were.

My favorite opera is La Boheme. My favorite tenor is Roberto Alagna (I have everything he's ever released - I just checked my iTunes and have 196 of his songs, though a lot are probably repeats). My favorite sopranos are Judith Blegen and Renee Fleming.

My Favorite Arias:

"Che gelida manina" (La Boheme - Puccini) sung by Roberto Alagna

"Una Furtiva lagrima" (L'elisir d'amore - Donizetti) sung by Roberto Alagna

"M'appari" (Martha - Flotow) sung by Roberto Alagna

"Pourquoi Me Réveiler" (Werther - Massenet) sung by Roberto Alagna

"Ah, la paterna mano" (Macbeth - Verdi) sung by Roberto Alagna

"La donna è mobile" (Rigoletto - Verdi) sung by Luciano Pavarotti

"E lucevan le stelle" (Tosca - Puccini) sung by Placido Domingo

"Nessun dorma" (Turandot - Puccini) sung by José Carreras

"O mio babinno caro" (Gianni Schicchi - Puccini) sung by Renee Fleming

"Doretta's Dream (La Rondine - Puccini) sung by Luba Orgonasova in the movie "Room With A View"

"Der Hölle Rache" (Die Zauberflote aka The Magic Flute - Mozart) sung by Edita Gruberova

"Vesti la giubba" (Pagliacci - Leoncavallo) sung by José Carreras

"Voi Che Sapete" (Le Nozze Di Figaro aka The Marriage of Figaro - Mozart) sung by Ann Murray

"A Tanto Duol" (Bianca e Fernando - Bellini) sung by Jérôme Pruett from the movie "Le maître de musique" aka "The Music Teacher":

YouTube - The Music Teacher - A Tanto Duol (A Duel And A Death)

Favorite Opera Duets:

"Au Fond Du Temple Saint" (Carmen - Bizet) sung by Nicolai Gedda and Ernest Blanc

"Sull'aria" (Le Nozze Di Figaro aka The Marriage of Figaro - Mozart) sung by Judith Blegen and Heather Harper

"Viens, Mallika" (Lakme - Delibes) sung by Mady Mesple and Danielle Millet

"Follie!... Sempre libera" (La Traviata - Verdi) sung by Dinah Bryant and Jérôme Pruett from the movie "Le maître de musique" aka "The Music Teacher":

YouTube - Sempre Libera, The Music Teacher, Le Maître de musique
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music