Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 AM

307 posts, read 980,847 times

Advertisements

Just curious to ask you music fans out there if you think that the Country Music Industry will ever find a return to Country and Western Traditionalism as was saw in an 80's revival. Of course the Pop and rock influence became prevelant "again" in the mid-90's. Or do you feel that it will continue to "progress" on its apparent "break-neck" course through infusion of rock and pop styles? All comments and opinions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
The industry as a whole probably won't see a traditionalist revival and will continue to homogenize with mainstream styles, but there will be pockets of traditional musicians (as there always have been) and a niche market that won't have to rely on the 'industry'.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
There are MANY young artists writing and playing traditional country. They don't sell like Taylor and Carrie, though, so you have to seek them out. They won't be on every country station like Rascal Flatts, but they're around.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Country will not likely return to what it was. I feel that is not a bad thing. But all music has changed and is going in all the wrong directions. Look at that wrap crap now. Imagine calling that music? Classic rock is now gone but our love for the greatest music on earth will only die when all us Hippys die.

Today's country is going in the direction of old rock. Didn't you mention Rascal Flatts? Tell me their music would not have made radio play in the 70s. Many old die hard rockers (like myself) have gotten into today's country music because it is not far off from rock. Throw in some steel guitar and some violins and that gives it it's uniqueness.

We need country music today. It's all we have as far as music goes.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Country will not likely return to what it was. I feel that is not a bad thing. But all music has changed and is going in all the wrong directions. Look at that wrap crap now. Imagine calling that music? Classic rock is now gone but our love for the greatest music on earth will only die when all us Hippys die.

Today's country is going in the direction of old rock. Didn't you mention Rascal Flatts? Tell me their music would not have made radio play in the 70s. Many old die hard rockers (like myself) have gotten into today's country music because it is not far off from rock. Throw in some steel guitar and some violins and that gives it it's uniqueness.

Amen!!!!!!! Rather Rascal Flatts than Brittney!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Well said!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,901 times
What I could see coming back is more outlaw country.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
My Dad was a firm believer of "If it ain't country, it ain't music". It would aggravate him to watch me come home with a sack of lp's I bought from the local record store and putting on the Stones, Beatles, Kinks, etc. on my own record player. But he didn't have to give me a hard sell on 50's and 60's country.

I'd mow lawns like crazy during the summer so I'd have money for 45's. And he was constantly swiping MY 45's (imagine that)! Songs like Johnny Horton's "North To Alaska", Stonewall Jackson's "Waterloo", Patsy Cline's "Crazy", and Bobby Bare's "Detroit City" were just a few of his favorites. Those songs were crossover hits on the popular as well as country charts. Later he actually warmed up to the Eagles somewhat, he loved Desperado. Same with Poco, he liked the album Crazy Eyes.

Desertsun41 is right. I bought my first record in 1962. It gets harder to buy new releases anymore for reasons that go beyond money. There are certain artists like Emmy Lou Harris, that I will buy and NOT give a second thought as to worrying if the lp is good or not. On the classic rock side I just bought the Clapton/Winwood cd-excellent! But that long list years ago of my favorite artists regarding automatic purchases is shrinking a little more these days.

But I'm stubborn to a fault. I'm buying classic rock tunes till I keel over!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Amen!!!!!!! Rather Rascal Flatts than Brittney!
You ain't kiddin bout that !

Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsncasting View Post
Hey guys! I am looking for country music fans to participate on a new gameshow called BIG SATURDAY NIGHT! We will be in Nashville next Wedensday June 24th. If you would like to participate, please email me directly @ bsncasting@gmail.com

Please put "NASHVILLE CONTESTANT" in the subject of your email.
Also include a photo and contact information as well.
Must be 21 to participate!

Thanks!
Looks like SPAM to me but I will shut up and see what the moderator thinks. One post maybe but all posts are advertising the same crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music