U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 4,237,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Dude, not just you at all. I'm 37, thought until recently it was just the generation gap between myself and those now under 25, but I think there is more to it than that. When I graduated high school and started college, I was really in to Metallica, Scorpions, Winger, Def Leppard, etc., but I still had bands I didn't like such as Poison. When Nirvana hit, I thought they were a joke because they played so poorly. Pearl Jam, however, I found to be majorly cool, and still enjoy to this day. Being on a college campus, I remember that most of my buddies also thought Nirvana sucked, but liked Pearl Jam immediately. We also were still listening to bands like Quiet Riot. In recent years, though, I've talked to dudes 5 to 7 years younger than me who really thought Nirvana ruled, really thought bands like Def Leppard sucked, and actually thought The Smashing Pumpkins and The Offspring were something other than noise. Nickelback? A total joke, IMO. Poison sounded like Yngwie Malmsteen Live in Leningrad compared to this cheesy stuff, LOL!!! Heck, Nelson was better than Nickelback!!! This has been the decade of the whiny, talentless, un-melodic, depressing, no guitar solo, Nickelback sound-alike band. Heck, even R.E.M. sounds ballsy compared to this stuff, LOL!!
You cant go wrong with ELO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:51 PM

4,493 posts, read 4,259,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
You cant go wrong with ELO
Evil Woman was one of their best song ever.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,090,649 times
I said it before too, "Something's wrong with the music these days". I don't know who's to blame... Let me think... I guess George Bush is guilty in this, isn't he?

Joking apart I think the modern mainstream rock sucks. I said it before, "Rock is dead". I'd like to add the 90s and 200s rock does suffer from a noise. It's hard to explain what I mean but most of mainstream rock bands don't play guitar masterfully anymore but they just make a noise
Though I sure still find some talented musicians these days. Not rock musicians actually but pop. (All my rock faves are 60s,70s and 80s. No modern rock bands can compare with them now.)

Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,630,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Dude, not just you at all. I'm 37, thought until recently it was just the generation gap between myself and those now under 25, but I think there is more to it than that. When I graduated high school and started college, I was really in to Metallica, Scorpions, Winger, Def Leppard, etc., but I still had bands I didn't like such as Poison. When Nirvana hit, I thought they were a joke because they played so poorly. Pearl Jam, however, I found to be majorly cool, and still enjoy to this day. Being on a college campus, I remember that most of my buddies also thought Nirvana sucked, but liked Pearl Jam immediately. We also were still listening to bands like Quiet Riot. In recent years, though, I've talked to dudes 5 to 7 years younger than me who really thought Nirvana ruled, really thought bands like Def Leppard sucked, and actually thought The Smashing Pumpkins and The Offspring were something other than noise. Nickelback? A total joke, IMO. Poison sounded like Yngwie Malmsteen Live in Leningrad compared to this cheesy stuff, LOL!!! Heck, Nelson was better than Nickelback!!! This has been the decade of the whiny, talentless, un-melodic, depressing, no guitar solo, Nickelback sound-alike band. Heck, even R.E.M. sounds ballsy compared to this stuff, LOL!!
Well I'm one of those dudes that is 5-7 years younger than you, and your observation about us not being into the late 80's hair bands holds true with me. Although, I do know a good number of women my age or slightly younger that are really into the 80's hair bands. I think those bands were cheesy and took the sounds created by 70's arena rockers and early 80's metal and ruined it. To me the late 80's were one of the worst periods ever for mainstream rock. I just can't get into bands like Winger, White Snake, Mr. Big, Poison, and Def Leopard. Early 80's music like Judas Priest and Dio was great, but for me it took a turn for the worse somewhere along the line. There were some great bands to come out of the late 80's like Gn'R and Metallica, but they definitely stood out among the rest. Malmsteen may be the most talented guitarist ever, but I can only listen to someone shred for so long.

As far as Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam goes, I personally can appreciate Nirvana more today than when they came out. At the time I was more into Pearl Jam, but Nirvana stands out more when listening to those albums today. Nirvana just seems more innovative and diverse with their music. I would also consider the Smashing Pumpkins another great band from the 90's that has a diverse set of great songs.

I agree with you about the Offspring though. They are a pathetic excuse for a punk band. And Nickleback? Maybe the worst "popular" band ever. Who listens to those guys anyway?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM

13,362 posts, read 14,280,599 times
We in the Hip Hop and R&B world have asked this question for years. And most of us trace it back to the telecommunications act of 1996. Radio stations got more powerful and the labels became more narrow minded. As a result, what you hear is what you get. They really need to revise that act or just repeal it altogether. I read that Clear Channel (one of the main problems of radio) will be going bankrupt in a few months. Hopefully that happens.

But I did read the post about how when you get an age, you become your parents. That's true but, that still doesn't make this acceptable. There is a LACK OF BALANCE in music todays. Sure in hip hop we had our wackness, but it was balanced by greatness as well. I'm 26 so I my adolescent and teen years was mostly in the 90s.

We went from this.

YouTube - Pete Rock & C. L. Smooth "They Reminisce Over You"

to this nearly 20 years later.

YouTube - Plies - Becky (with Lyrics) *MUST LISTEN*

Another thing. Most of the fans of hip hop and R&B are wishing for a nasty divorce between the two. It was nice when it was the New Jack Swing in the late 80s and early 90s. But it has sadly affected the two genre's in a bad way. Since I grew up in the 90s, that is what I'm use to.

We went from this.

YouTube - Someone To Love

to this in again, nearly 20 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGeMHCUKkhw

Shame, isn't it.

Last edited by Spade; 06-23-2009 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 AM

421 posts, read 1,031,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well I'm one of those dudes that is 5-7 years younger than you, and your observation about us not being into the late 80's hair bands holds true with me. Although, I do know a good number of women my age or slightly younger that are really into the 80's hair bands. I think those bands were cheesy and took the sounds created by 70's arena rockers and early 80's metal and ruined it. To me the late 80's were one of the worst periods ever for mainstream rock. I just can't get into bands like Winger, White Snake, Mr. Big, Poison, and Def Leopard. Early 80's music like Judas Priest and Dio was great, but for me it took a turn for the worse somewhere along the line. There were some great bands to come out of the late 80's like Gn'R and Metallica, but they definitely stood out among the rest. Malmsteen may be the most talented guitarist ever, but I can only listen to someone shred for so long.

As far as Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam goes, I personally can appreciate Nirvana more today than when they came out. At the time I was more into Pearl Jam, but Nirvana stands out more when listening to those albums today. Nirvana just seems more innovative and diverse with their music. I would also consider the Smashing Pumpkins another great band from the 90's that has a diverse set of great songs.

I agree with you about the Offspring though. They are a pathetic excuse for a punk band. And Nickleback? Maybe the worst "popular" band ever. Who listens to those guys anyway?
Actually, Malmsteen does far more than just shred. He is an all around musician with an incredible sense of melody, subtlety, and contrast. Many folks have heard so little of his work, though, that I don't think they realize just how amazing a musician he is. Do you have any of his albums, 5Lakes?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,516,105 times
Once in a while I find a new R&B song I like, but for the most part I can't get into today's music. I don't think Britney, for example, should get credit for singing songs when she is not singing. I don't know what it's called but I know they are using some device to give her a voice she doesn't really have, and it sounds electronic. Who wants a computery voice to sing to them?

In addition to missing great voices I am missing great writing and general originality. As always people are redoing old songs, but these days the people who redo the songs just sound abysmal compared to the originals. There are so many empty-headed bimbettes making records who have no business singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"--never mind a song on the radio. There should be a law that you can't make music just because you look stereotypically attractive. A good body and a good voice are not the same thing.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 AM

13,316 posts, read 29,480,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
To me the late 80's were one of the worst periods ever for mainstream rock.
That's a time when I was busy having babies, but probably the main bands I listened to back then were Warren Zevon and (still) Mark Knopfler & Neil Young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We in the Hip Hop and R&B world have asked this question for years. And most of us trace it back to the telecommunications act of 1996. Radio stations got more powerful and the labels became more narrow minded. As a result, what you hear is what you get. They really need to revise that act or just repeal it altogether. I read that Clear Channel (one of the main problems of radio) will be going bankrupt in a few months. Hopefully that happens.
Yes, I heard this too. A lot of people losing their jobs (http://radioinsight.com/major-clear-channel-layoffs/ - broken link), but maybe CC will change their mission to something worth working towards.
Quote:
But I did read the post about how when you get an age, you become your parents. That's true but, that still doesn't make this acceptable. There is a LACK OF BALANCE in music todays. Sure in hip hop we had our wackness, but it was balanced by greatness as well. I'm 26 so I my adolescent and teen years was mostly in the 90s.

Another thing. Most of the fans of hip hop and R&B are wishing for a nasty divorce between the two. It was nice when it was the New Jack Swing in the late 80s and early 90s. But it has sadly affected the two genre's in a bad way. Since I grew up in the 90s, that is what I'm use to.
Fusion all becomes so complicated, doesn't it? And it's a drag when greed overwhelms taste.
When I first heard spoken word, it was the Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron.
I heard The Revolution Will Not Be Televised as a high school senior.
The guys in Public Enemy were probably in grade school.
How times have changed since then!
I know very little about hip hop or rap, but it seems to me that the genre originally was about strength and solidarity--and sticking it to The Man.
That New Jack Swing stuff was happening when my kids were just beginning to develop their own musical tastes.
I like *some* melody, and I like guys like the Roots.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:36 AM

14,699 posts, read 13,430,367 times
Autotune is one the things that are wrong.

There is still a lot of good music out there you just can't rely on the radio to bring it to you. You can find a lot of good stuff on www.lastfm.com.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 AM

3,438 posts, read 3,089,810 times
There's an agenda to dumb down people through the media. It's won't get any better.

That's why I buy my own CDs, listen to youtube and burn tracks to CDs.

People focus on the image/visual of musicians than the substance of the lyrics.

The best music is the music you do not hear on the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music