Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,468,434 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the long title,

My father got me into rock when I was just a little toddler and I have listened to it ever since then. I have gotten myself into country too. How did you start listening to the kind of music that you listen to????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,121,199 times
i listen to many different types for a variety of reasons-----such as opera when i am driving in heavy traffic,western swing on long road trips,doo-wop when i need cheering,tejano,bacchata,ranchero,when i'm working round the house--etc

Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times
I listen to country music because that's what I grew up listening to and it's the music my dad enjoyed most. I like the stories told in the songs. Not all of them are "I lost my wife, I lost my dog, I lost my house" type of songs. The lyrics are mostly quite simple, easy to understand and I can relate to some of the songs.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,591,861 times
Great question! I listen mainly to '70s rock - it's what I grew up on. I listen to '80s rock/new wave/pop because that's the soundtrack of my college partying days. I listen to more current stuff (Kings of Leon, Jack White, Plain White T's, etc.) so my teenage nieces and nephew don't think me a hopeless old lady. I listen to country and Tejano because that's what's playing in my husband's truck.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,499,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Sorry about the long title,

My father got me into rock when I was just a little toddler and I have listened to it ever since then. I have gotten myself into country too. How did you start listening to the kind of music that you listen to????

I'd say at least 80% of the music I listen to is classic rock. I'm not sure how that happened other than me just listening to all kinds of music, hearing things I liked, looking for more of that. My parents were more of beach music/oldies fans so it wasnt from them. Playing guitar really pushed me towards that style, though as I probably wouldnt have even checked it out if it werent for that. My favorites are Hendriz/Zep/Neil Young/Blackfoot/Pearl Jam/Audioslve/Rolling Stones/etc.

The rest is music from when I was in grade/middle/high-school. 90s rock mainly/alternative.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,406,580 times
Well.. I listen to all types of music but generally speaking prefer Rock N Roll. The music that I listen to changes with time and experiences.. for example, I used to listen to Rap but it no longer holds my attention like it used to.. that's OK cause knowing me ..I might rediscover it again in a couple months. I have to admit that I rarely listen to music from the 80s though I have been listening to more of it since hanging out on this site. I think it's safe to say that my focus is on Hard Rock at the moment but I always go back to favorites from over the years. And.. then around the holidays I tend to mellow out and play primarily "Golden Oldies." Very rarely listen to Country music but as I know a lot of people who are into it.. it does happen.

Ok.. so the question was why, lol.

Well.. there's a long and short story to this, imo.

Short story: I've always been interested in music ever since I was little.. my earliest memories involve music and family. As my family drifted apart (like so many families do).. I held on to my love for music and prob used it to understand and connect with my family. I'm sure that's what first got me interested in different eras of music.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,450,270 times
I listen to a variety of music because of the people who have introduced me to "new" genres and all the places I've been. As a kid, my mom played the Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, the Doors, Heart, Bee Gees (classic rock and disco), my dad liked Marvin Gaye, Elton John, Three Dog Night, and the Beatles. In high school I had boyfriends/friends who introduced me to rap (NWA, Das FX, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg) and metal (Metallica), grunge/rock (Nirvana, Live, Alice in Chains), Reggae (Bob of course) but I found R & B on my own (R. Kelley, Blackstreet, Genuwine, etc). I like classical as well (heard it for the first time when I was 7 - Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite Ballet).

Since I hung out in downtown Chicago after a Cubs game I'd head to the blue's/jazz bars with my friends... and that's when I really started to love blues (especially when it's live) - Steve Ray Vaughn does it for me and he brings me back (mentally) to the smokey bars...

I even like country. I used to live in a sleepy town in the midwest for about 4 years and everyone and their grandma listened to country so there was no escape from it... then it grew on me.

My taste is still expanding.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,767,183 times
I think my choice of music was kind of a natural progression from one type to another...eventually leading up to where I am now (a mixed jumble of different genres)..

For instance, growing up all I listened to was gospel music. The gospel lead to my discovery of soul music which lead to me listening to jazz, R&B and Neo-soul. The R&B lead me to hip-hop/rap while the jazz (instrumental jazz) lead me to classical music (which is what got me to join the band in high school).

Hip-hop is what I credit for expanding my musical preference the most. A lot of artists from the very beginning of rap (and even today) sample different cuts from various genres. Whenever I found a rap song that I particularly liked that stood out for whatever reason I would search until I found out what song they sampled...This exposed me to everything from 70s and 80s rock to punk to jazz to mo-town to everything and everything in between, that I eventually came to like.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,522,100 times
I only listen to good music. Bad stuff like wrap and hippity hoppity fruit loop just makes steam come out of my ears. Bad music wakes up all the mean and hatred inside me that I never knew I had. I have walked away from jobs that played bad music. I have walked out of stores who play bad music or just never walk into a store who is playing it. I will turn off a movie that is playing bad music. I have dumped girls who listen to bad music.

Luckly while playing on stage the women who come up to me usually like good music or they would not have paid to get in to listen to me. I cant sing but I dazzle them with my keyboarding. The singer gets all the hottest girls.

May the great music never die. May the crap just fade away to the depths of disco. And the sooner the better.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,767,183 times
Desertsun41, we all respect your opinion, which you are absolutely entitled to hold, but it is a bit disrespectful to JoCo freak who started this thread (and other users who participate in this thread) for you to come in this thread specifically to spew your I-hate-(w)rap rant du jour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music