Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,648,317 times

Advertisements

I would not call him a guitarist, however I think he is good. Again this depends on personal opinion. His problem is his songs are not really good, some of his songs like "Why Georgia" and "Bigger Than My Body" are good, but most his songs I feel are dredge.

His problem his more song writing and just coming up with good songs, not guitar.

In fact I have not heard from him in a long time, he used to be much bigger ten years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,629,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Is it the 55+ pining for their youth? Is it an ageist reverse issue towards the up and coming youth compounding the problem? Tough call...

Remember when Blue jeans, hair over the collar, and a book of Indian lore in the back pocket, along with anti-war sentiment bugged the Goldwater types?
Get off my back!!! Attica!!!! Down with the Pig!!! Kent State!!!

Ive seen 55+ act the same against the younger crowds today, ...remember your history, lest the bong rips make you forget...

John Mayer, working musician. He makes no claims, just does what he likes, playing his music, and the occasional nod to the past. Would it make one feel better if he could not give a rats ass about playing Machine Gun???

I do not own or know much of him, but he seems to keep an American crowd from beating the snot out of each other...

Best post of the thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,009,778 times
My good friend loves John Mayer, and insists I check out some of his live albums, but I can't imagine that anyone who wrote "Waiting for the World to Change" would have any music worth my time. I hate that song.

Fallacious? Maybe, but it's hard to convince me.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
Austinguy... have I seen your face somewhere? Are you a really talented guy who the whole world bows to? Are you on the front page of every newspaper across the world? nah, you aren't. You are just a miserly fellow who don't know what talent is. If John Mayer is really bad as you say, why does Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton want him in their company and not you?... ah! Wait, it's because you're not even his ****.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:03 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,271,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asenuo View Post
Austinguy... have I seen your face somewhere? Are you a really talented guy who the whole world bows to? Are you on the front page of every newspaper across the world? nah, you aren't. You are just a miserly fellow who don't know what talent is. If John Mayer is really bad as you say, why does Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton want him in their company and not you?... ah! Wait, it's because you're not even his ****.
The OP created this thread over five years ago. You may want to settle down and spend your emotions elsewhere.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,512,187 times
This thread may have been created 5 years ago, but some facts don't change: John Mayer is still terrible, and when he solos, he looks like a baby that's about to spit up.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 AM

810 posts, read 1,443,574 times
Success isn't very tightly connected with ability. The talent to be popular is a separate talent. There's probably no sense complaining about it.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 PM

12,277 posts, read 7,985,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asenuo View Post
And Herbie Hancock CMT for their shows........because he is good enough and he is a pop star and can bring a wider audience then the genre purist fan base. Even with backlash because he stated he doesn't like dark women or he was one of many linked to Katy Perry or Jennifer Anniston after Brad Pitt left her he is better than any other blues singer out there because he is able to make a more emotional connection through his personality, singing and yes his guitar playing then any of the other "greats" of his generation

Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,811 times
Im the biggest john mayer fan ever and all I have to say is I've always been impressed by his electric guitar playing but never would I say he was the best at it, but your derek trucks's and bonamasa's, or John frusciante's could never and I repeat NEVER play an acoustic guitar as good as john mayer, and anyone who disagrees with me on that is a stupid ****! and should go listen to this https://youtu.be/AzsEzD2fVwE

Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,041,739 times
He's no Hendrix, but he's solid man, get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music