Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times

Advertisements

Which year and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
My answer is in the 1984 thread.
1981 was a great year for hardcore.
1956 when rock'n'roll broke through.
1947 was a great year for bebop.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
1967 68 and 69

But there were may good years. The music slowed in the late 80s and stopped dead in the 90s.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
1967 68 and 69

But there were may good years. The music slowed in the late 80s and stopped dead in the 90s.
Those three years-yep! , especially 1968. Lots and lots of bands started in these 3 years. Here's a few: Buckinghams, Chicago, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Association, Cream, Moody Blues (revamped lineup), Blues Magoos, Country Joe/Fish, Santana, CSNY, Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge, Chambers Brothers, Deep Purple, Delany and Bonnie, Delfonics, Strawbs, Doors, Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators, Fever Tree, Fairport Convention, Standells, Family, Chris Farlow band, Fifth Dimension, Captain Beefheart, Wild man fischer, Fleetwood Mac, Flying Burrito Brothers, Savoy Brown, Free, John Fred/Playboy Band, Foundations, King Crimson, Fugs, Bobby Fuller 4, Rory Gallagher, Jethro Tull, J,Geils band, Genesis, Grand Funk Railroad, Grassroots, Grateful Dead, Hawkwind, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Steppenwolf, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Steve Miller Band, Big Brother/Holding Co., Humble Pie, Poco, Amboy Dukes, Allman Brothers, Yes, Badfinger, Band, Pink Floyd, Blind Faith, Blodwin Pig, Procol Harum, Blood Sweat and Tears, Boxtops, Bread, Brooklyn Bridge, list some more for me Desert Sun41 for me, my fingers are all typed out!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-23-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
1981 !!!

The same year MTV came out as New Wave music took off starting that year

Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I apologize for not strictly following the parameters, it's so hard to choose just one single year.
I think the beginning of the new millenium had some really *new* stuff.
Hip hop was changing, indie rock coalescing, and alternative was as bold as ever. And how about some dance punk?
I'll pick 2000-2003.
It was the time of:

Outkast's Hey Ya (a masterpiece) and the entire album Speakerboxx/The Love Below

Gorillaz self-titled album

White Stripes' White Blood Cells, De Stijl and Elephant

Yeah Yeah Yeah's Fever to Tell

Red Hot Chili Peppers' By the Way

Green Day's American Idiot (recorded in '04, released in '04)

Daft Punk's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

The Shins' Oh Inverted World as well as their Chutes Too Narrow

The Rapture
from their album Echoes, that great song House of Jealous Lovers

Portishead, The Strokes, The Killers, Flaming Lips, Radiohead, The Roots, Warren Zevon's
final album (not a weak track on it)

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 07-23-2009 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
My vote goes for 1966. This was the year that folk-rock matured after its introduction in 1965 (The Byrds), with great songs by Simon & Garfunkel (Homeward Bound, Dangling Conversation), The Lovin' Spoonful (Summer in the City)and The Mama's & Papa's (California Dreamin').
This was also the dawn of psychedelic-rock, but before it went overboard: The Byrds (8 Miles High), The Yardbirds (Over, Under Sideways Down), Donovan (Sunshine Superman); Rain & Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles; Paint it Black (Rolling Stones)

Major bands of the era released some of their best albums:

The Beatles: Revolver
The Kinks: Face to Face
The Rolling Stones: Aftermath
Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds + Good Vibrations
The Who: My Generation

Garage Rock was also an active part of the music scene --groups like The Seeds(Pushin' Too hard); Syndicate of Sound (Little Girl); Easybeats (Friday on My Mind) etc...

Motown was still significant: What Becomes of the Brokenhearted? (Jimmy Ruffin); Stevie Wonder (Up-tight); Marvin Gaye (Ain't That Peculiar, It Takes Two) and Stax was still cool (Sam & Dave--Hold on I'm Comin')

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Wow, excellent call, Mpls Todd--a year that was both breakthrough as well as influential.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
BWP is right. The Beatles Revolver lp was the talk of the media for a short time as it showed the bands maturity. Same with Bob Dylan's Blonde On Blonde.

I might not agree about the psychedelic stuff going overboard, but those songs Todd has listed are early psych for sure, and top5 chart hits to boot.

Some other solid garage bands that would fit in 1966 music would be the Bobby Fuller Four, Count Five, Leaves, and many other groups.

Hobbiewise, this period of music, to say the least, quite popular with collectors.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Those three years-yep! , especially 1968. Lots and lots of bands started in these 3 years. Here's a few: Buckinghams, Chicago, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Association, Cream, Moody Blues (revamped lineup), Blues Magoos, Country Joe/Fish, Santana, CSNY, Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge, Chambers Brothers, Deep Purple, Delany and Bonnie, Delfonics, Strawbs, Doors, Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators, Fever Tree, Fairport Convention, Standells, Family, Chris Farlow band, Fifth Dimension, Captain Beefheart, Wild man fischer, Fleetwood Mac, Flying Burrito Brothers, Savoy Brown, Free, John Fred/Playboy Band, Foundations, King Crimson, Fugs, Bobby Fuller 4, Rory Gallagher, Jethro Tull, J,Geils band, Genesis, Grand Funk Railroad, Grassroots, Grateful Dead, Hawkwind, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Steppenwolf, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Steve Miller Band, Big Brother/Holding Co., Humble Pie, Poco, Amboy Dukes, Allman Brothers, Yes, Badfinger, Band, Pink Floyd, Blind Faith, Blodwin Pig, Procol Harum, Blood Sweat and Tears, Boxtops, Bread, Brooklyn Bridge, list some more for me Desert Sun41 for me, my fingers are all typed out!
You have some great ones in there I love. Procol Harum, Tull, Blood Sweat and Tears, Boxtops, Bread and of course my beloved Genesis.

I say those 3 years 67-69 are the best because.......well they are the best. That is not even anyones opinion, it's a fact!!! Imagine anyone trying to compare that 90s and 00s garbage to the 60s and 70s? I cant. I also picked those years because they really highlighted the psychedelic music years. Dont forget the most psychedelic band of all.... Strawberry Alarm Clock.

I would go back in a heartbeat to those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music