Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times

Advertisements

Just saw the movie Australia, and I was totally surprised when I heard this song at the end of the movie by Elton John, called The Drover's Ballad:

YouTube - Sir Elton John - The Drover's Ballad from Australia Movie

To me, it sounds a lot like Billy Joel's "The Ballad Of Billy The Kid"

Billy Joel's song begins ....

BILLY JOEL - THE BALLAD OF BILLY THE KID LYRICS

Quote:
From a town known as Wheeling, West Virginia
Rode a boy with a six-gun in his hand
And his daring life of crime
Made him a legend in his time
East and west of the Rio Grande

Well, he started with a bank in Colorado
In the pocket of his vest, a Colt he hid
And his age and his size
Took the teller by surprise
And the word spread of Billy the Kid
I completely expected to see Billy Joel's name mentioned in the credits for creating the melody for this song.

I know Elton John performed in concert many times with Billy Joel, so I would have to think that Billy Joel knows about this song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 03:50 PM

14 posts, read 26,854 times
nah. sorta close but.............. nah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed_-b...eature=related

Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
The music sounds like any one of kerjillion folk hero ballads. Listen to some old Odetta Gordon folk recordings from the late Fifties and early Sixties - you'll hear the same tune. Even if Billy Joel put his name on it, its old old stuff basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music