Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,983 times

Advertisements

I believe there are some musicians here so could you tell me how to tell a guitar riff from the bass riff?

For example, I can't figure out whether the songs mentioned below feature bass riff or not when they start off:

1. Muse - Plug In
2. Muse - Ashamed
3. Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
4. Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
5. Nirvana - Come As You are
6. Iron Maiden - Heaven Can Wait
7. Iron Maiden - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
8. David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
9. Metallica - No Remorse

I have the ignominy not to undestard whether guitar or bass are used to make a catchy riff in these songs. Any ideas? Tried to find the answers in wiki but failed as the appropriate song's articles don't have the answers.

YouTube - Plug in Baby - Muse [with lyrics]

YouTube - Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love (with lyrics)

YouTube - Nirvana-Come as you are lyrics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times
Guitar player here, I am not familiar with all of the other songs you listed but Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love's opening riff is a guitar riff. Eric was still using the blues format in his songs and even today still puts some in to pay homage to his blues roots. For example: Lay Down Sally has more of a country feel but he still plays the same blues scales in the solo!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Guitar player here, I am not familiar with all of the other songs you listed but Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love's opening riff is a guitar riff. Eric was still using the blues format in his songs and even today still puts some in to pay homage to his blues roots. For example: Lay Down Sally has more of a country feel but he still plays the same blues scales in the solo!
Thanks for participating.
The funny part of it is wiki's article mentions bass riff too. Here's one of those quotes, 'Bruce returned home and wrote the memorable bass riff that runs throughout the song'. I got it off of here.
Thus I sort of don't get where guitar plays and where bass plays (or where they play simultaneoulsy) during this classic famous riff.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM

YouTube - CREAM - SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE (BEST VERSION)

Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Is this classic riff attributed to guitar riffs or both (guitar+bass)?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
Is this classic riff attributed to guitar riffs or both (guitar+bass)?
Some people say both but my money is on Eric! I don't own the sheet music on the other songs you posted so I'm afraid I can't help much!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 PM

I take that back. The Nirvana Come As You Are is a guitar opening riff as well. My ear tells me Kurt is using a phase shifter or flanger for his guitar effect.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:19 PM

That Muse Plug In Baby is definitely a guitar riff. No bass guitar has that much of an overdriven sound to it!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,596 times
Hey Flash thanks for inviting me to your thread .But mate i think some songs here start with a guitar riff and some with bass if im not wrong .However since im at office now and the PC im using doesnt have access to run youtube videos (Damn Admin guys) can't listen to em. Anyways i agree to what rugged just said, Eric most of the time juggled blues mix.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I take that back. The Nirvana Come As You Are is a guitar opening riff as well. My ear tells me Kurt is using a phase shifter or flanger for his guitar effect.
Quote:
That Muse Plug In Baby is definitely a guitar riff. No bass guitar has that much of an overdriven sound to it!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music