Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bob Seger or Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seger 87 63.04%
Bruce Springsteen 51 36.96%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times

Advertisements

Seger did a tour in 2006/07 for his album "Face The Promise" Great album, and a great tour. Bob's songs really hit an emotional spot for me. Bruce is more political, and that leaves me a little flat. I bring Seger & Springsteen up because almost every review of his concert tour started with how Seger is great, but he's not Springsteen.

Seger has over 700 unreleased songs put away. I've heard about 12 to 15 of them over the years, and most of them were as good, or better than anything he ever released to the public. Another reason why I think Seger has had more impact on the culture is that modern country music songs are mostly copied from those famous Bob Seger "mediums". People like Toby Keith & Clint Black have said as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,006,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What a crazy thread. What a crazy comparison.

Both have a whole lot of working man hits. Springsteen has his local very strong following in New Jersey while Seger seems to not exploit his Michigan roots though he still lives near his birth place there. What I mean by exploit his roots is he dont do local shows and few even know he is a hometown boy there like Jersians know Bruce is.

Springsteen maintains his home in Rumson, NJ (though he lives in LA) and up until semi recent times before Asbury Park fell into the Atlantic Ocean, he still would pull a surprise visit to the Stone Pony, close and lock the doors and jamb with the band. Yea those were the days. I know, I was there. Those lucky enough to be hanging out that night got to see a free intimate Springsteen concert among about 30 friends. Hey dont worry, I was there before the Stone Pony became a gay bar. Bruce stopped going at that point too. May the Stone Pony live on in memories.

I dare any Jersey born native to see Bruce live while he is singing Jersey Girl and not have wet eyes. I dare you to not identify with the true story My Hometown which is about his days in Freehold. I know that too because I lived it. Good riddance to Freehold but oh some good memories at the Horse track.

Seger also wrote songs about the blue collar man just like Springsteen did. That hits a soft spot with those of us blue collar workers. I gave Bruce 2 songs that I identify with. I give Seger one. And oh what a smash it is. Turn The Page. Now you are talking about an eargasm. In my younger hippy days while traveling the states back when America was still free, all the honky tonk dance clubs were playing Turn The Page multiple times each night. It got the girls all horned up and if a guy could dance and sing this song well he was going to get lucky that night. I did that too. Paula you turned my page, you were butt ugly but man can you dance and .........

Today Bruce has lost his voice. He cant sing worth a damn but still tries. His fans dont care, they come for the music. As far as Seger I have not seen him or even heard any thing live from him in recent times to form any opinions.

I had fun writing this !!
as a Jersey native too, I agree with you. shocker desertsun, eh?

I can't listen to Bob Seger....just don't care for him, but I make the exception for Springsteen otherwise it'd be sacrilegious!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM

497 posts, read 1,175,894 times
Didn't even have to think about it....Bob Seger

Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I don't think Springsteen ever was a great singer, but his songs are excellent (some of them are, anyway). I still love Born to Run. I'd like Seger more if Old Time Rock'n'Roll hadn't been played to death for all these years. I like Shame on the Moon quite a lot.

Neither are really my cup of tea, but I like them.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,158,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Seger did a tour in 2006/07 for his album "Face The Promise" Great album, and a great tour. Bob's songs really hit an emotional spot for me. Bruce is more political, and that leaves me a little flat. I bring Seger & Springsteen up because almost every review of his concert tour started with how Seger is great, but he's not Springsteen.

Seger has over 700 unreleased songs put away. I've heard about 12 to 15 of them over the years, and most of them were as good, or better than anything he ever released to the public. Another reason why I think Seger has had more impact on the culture is that modern country music songs are mostly copied from those famous Bob Seger "mediums". People like Toby Keith & Clint Black have said as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
Didn't even have to think about it....Bob Seger
ahhhh......he is like a breath of fresh air
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't think Springsteen ever was a great singer, but his songs are excellent (some of them are, anyway). I still love Born to Run. I'd like Seger more if Old Time Rock'n'Roll hadn't been played to death for all these years. I like Shame on the Moon quite a lot.

Neither are really my cup of tea, but I like them.
I had the great fortune of seeing Bod Seger along with Fleetwood Mac on the Rumours tour in the late 70's.....................it was THE BEST!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
Lightbulb I Like Music and Discussions about the Music at Concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post

Loved your post, Brave Stranger. Yes, these two do get compared often and I doubt Seger initiated it.

Springsteen is more than a little political. I don't like concerts with politics. I pay my $ for the talent and music, not to hear a political rally regardless of which side. I don't want my concert time used to try to get votes for anyone running for politics.

I think it is cool that Seger has continued to live in MI. So many left or are trying to leave with the high unemployment. Yet, he stays in MI and continues his work.

I imagine to see either Seger or Springsteen in a spontanous performance at a local club/pub etc., would be a awesome experience.

This has been an interesting forum to get different viewpoints. Thanks, Brave Stranger.

Wait For Me - Bob Seger

YouTube - Bob Seger Wait For Me

MSR

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 PM

6,567 posts, read 6,731,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Loved your post, Brave Stranger. Yes, these two do get compared often and I doubt Seger initiated it.

Springsteen is more than a little political. I don't like concerts with politics. I pay my $ for the talent and music, not to hear a political rally regardless of which side. I don't want my concert time used to try to get votes for anyone running for politics.

I think it is cool that Seger has continued to live in MI. So many left or are trying to leave with the high unemployment. Yet, he stays in MI and continues his work.

I imagine to see either Seger or Springsteen in a spontanous performance at a local club/pub etc., would be a awesome experience.

This has been an interesting forum to get different viewpoints. Thanks, Brave Stranger.

Wait For Me - Bob Seger

YouTube - Bob Seger Wait For Me

MSR
You're welcome Seger is a different kind of cat. He really became semi-retired to raise his kids around 1996 & though he's 64 he has two kids at home ages 16 & 13. He still lives near Detriot, and most of the time he is just a dad. For his 2006/07 tour he kept most of his ticket prices at $65 ! Very cheap in this day & age. He wanted to keep prices down for his fans. The guy could have charged double that like some rock stars do.....but he felt that would be overkill. Don't see much of that kind of thoughtful behavior these days

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 08-03-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,316 times
I always liked both but I could listen to Seger all day long, his songwriting is on another emotional level than Bruce.

Here's 2 of my favorites

YouTube - Bob Seger "Sun Spot Baby"

YouTube - Feel Like A Number-Bob Seger

Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times
I like Bob Seger, but to me he is nowhere close to the Boss. I can relate to Springsteen's music much more, and I'm not even from New Jersey.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I'll never understand why one has to be better than the other, but I guess it is interesting to compare and contrast.

I remember when the "controversy" began, though.
It was back in the 80's when columnist Bob Greene wrote about how Springsteen was taking the world like a storm, whereas the unsung Seger (a couple years older) had been plugging away since the 60's.
They both made (and continue to make) very American music, but according to Greene, Springsteen took all the glory, leaving Seger unappreciated.
This took me aback a bit, it's not as if Springsteen, from New Jersey, had not been doing his share of road trips and one night stands: his was *not* an overnight success.
Both men worked hard at their craft, but their careers, their very lives, were probably on different tracks.

I liked Seger's last album, Face the Promise.

However, to me, Springsteen has grown more as an artist. Musically, he has taken more chances. A the same time, he's shown appreciation for the masters, such as folksinger Pete Seeger.

Here they are together. The smiles look genuine.
Seger and Springsteen

I agree with everything postede. Your last paragraph really drives the point home. Springsteen continues to make new music and challenge his audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music