Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Talk about forgettable Bands , when I see the line up at Bonnaroo or Wakarusa there are 100 bands .
Actually the main reason I don't do festivals is because with 5 stages running simultaneously, there are always conflicts. I was thinking of going to Coachella this year but waited until they released the schedule. They had Patton & Rahzel and Paul McCartney, the 2 acts I wanted to see the most, on separate stages at the same time. I said F*** it and saved the money.

I went 2 days in a row last year for about 15 hours of music, at least 12 of which was high quality including "foder" bands I had never even heard of before.

I bet Bonnaroo was awesome this year with Bruce Springsteen, Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Al Green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Put the pipe down, dude.
That pipe carrys our American flag and it will fly despite your disrespect for the greatest generation. And the other half of that pipe is used to beat away politicians and pigs, just like we did 40 years ago. Because back then we the peons could bring about change, unlike now. Now turn off that wrap crap. The 94 show you mentioned more then once that no one paid any attention to is long forgotten about. Few even know it ever happened because it sucked. 1969 will be remembered forever.

And I ain't a dude. That is California surf talk and that is your generation, not mine.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Actually the main reason I don't do festivals is because with 5 stages running simultaneously, there are always conflicts. I was thinking of going to Coachella this year but waited until they released the schedule. They had Patton & Rahzel and Paul McCartney, the 2 acts I wanted to see the most, on separate stages at the same time. I said F*** it and saved the money.

I went 2 days in a row last year for about 15 hours of music, at least 12 of which was high quality including "foder" bands I had never even heard of before.

I bet Bonnaroo was awesome this year with Bruce Springsteen, Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Al Green.
I would have loved seeing Elvis Costello, David Byrne, of Montreal, The Decemberists, Neko Case (already saw her once this year!), Lucinda Williams... sounds good.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
But none of these festivals are held up as the greatest thing ever like Woodstock is. Part of that has to do with how long ago it took place, for sure. But in 30 years Bonnaroo or Wakarusa (I've never even heard of that one) won't be celebrated the way Woodstock constantly.
As an event, I'm sure it was great. But the music... overall I'd say no. However, I would have gone solely to see CCR!

I just looked up Wakarusa. I've heard of MAYBE 4 bands there. Interesting.
Well how do ya like that. I agree with you on every thing you said. There is a first time for everything huh.

You spoke the truth.....

Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:

And none of the 2009 re-issues even have Ten Years After. RIP OFF.
Wow, that *is* a bummer. Glad I still have my vinyl.

We raked Woodstock (and its generation) over the coals over in Great Debates.

I do feel somewhat nostalgic about that music. I loved a whole lot of it, but I don't need to wallow in it now.

I'm not worried about 'forgettable' bands, everyone starts somewhere.
I met the guys in Mountain a long time ago, before Felix Pappalardi was killed.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That pipe carrys our American flag and it will fly despite your disrespect for the greatest generation. And the other half of that pipe is used to beat away politicians and pigs, just like we did 40 years ago.
Yeah right, tough guy. The greatest generation stopped fascism and went on to defeat communism. Or a century earlier freed the slaves and conquered a continent. Smoking pot, whining in the streets and blasting some jams? Not so much.

Quote:
Because back then we the peons could bring about change, unlike now.
Wasn't "change" the winning catchphrase of the day last November?

Quote:
Now turn off that wrap crap. The 94 show you mentioned more then once that no one paid any attention to is long forgotten about. Few even know it ever happened because it sucked. 1969 will be remembered forever.
10-20 more years tops. Once the people who can't stop talking about it drop dead, no one will remember, or care. And most European festivals from the mid-1980's forward totally destroy that and any other American festivals for both quality and content.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Well how do ya like that. I agree with you on every thing you said. There is a first time for everything huh.

You spoke the truth.....
Hey, I remember we agreed that 'Selling England By The Pound' is a good Genesis album. I don't know why I remember that but I do!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That's only because there was a major motion picture released. Otherwise it would be on the trash heap of history along with Watkins Glen, Cal Jam, Atlanta Pop etc

And none of the 2009 re-issues even have Ten Years After. RIP OFF.
You are wrong again but lets say just for a second that you are right.

Where is your museum on the site of the 94 event? There is none. Any stone or monument at least? Nope. Does your event still get 2 million visitors every year? It gets none. Was there even one tick of news of mention in 2004 or 2009 on the 10th or 15th anniversaries? There was none. Has anyone of us in this thread even mentioned hearing of your event? There is none including me and I am on top of the music trivia game. And where is the major motion picture on your event? There were none.

Where are the great stories of closing major highways and people sharing what little resources they had? Where are your pictures of sharing a joint with a pig? Try that today. Well you did have all the comforts of home with doctors booths, food booths, plenty of bathrooms, and any modern convenience needed.

It ain't the same thing. It just ain't.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
Hey, I remember we agreed that 'Selling England By The Pound' is a good Genesis album. I don't know why I remember that but I do!
Well yes I remember. Genesis.....Elvis Costello? Good stuff yet you fought me while you defended wrap. I dont get it.

Are you of the Woodstock generation? I took you for the wrap generation. I'm confused.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:

Are you of the Woodstock generation? I took you for the wrap generation. I'm confused.
Some of us straddle both.
Just because I'm old doesn't mean I got stuck in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music